Beer Alert & Directory III

[color=blue]Click for earlier parts of the Beer Alert & Directory:[/color]

[url=Beer Alert & Directory I[/url]

[url=Beer Alert & Directory II II[/url]

I’m very excited about this one… AFAIK, its the only porter available in Taiwan:

Available at Breeze

Oh man, snap that porter up while you have the chance Tigerman. I had some last time I was in Britain and it is really delicious, even though its not quite what I was expecting from a porter, as it doesn’t have the body I normally associate with that style.
Still, its rich and complex and pretty much exactly as described in the review you posted. You might find it a bit light in alcohol – as you know, I tend to prefer beers at around 5 or 6 ab.vol.
I wonder if you could lay it down for a year or two? Its maybe a bit light in alcohol for that.

Yeah… I will probably go back tomorrow and grab a case. I doubt if its suitable for laying down… 5% abv isn’t quite high enough.

Michael Jackson also mentioned this porter not being full-bodied… but he sure gave it a nice review.

Damn, I can’t wait to get rid of this nasty cold… I haven’t had any beer for three weeks…

I notice that sandman is almost always the first to post when a new beer is placed on the Beer Directory… at least it sure seems that way… :laughing:

I also bought a few bottles of this porter during my last visit.

Ah, I knew there was a reason I picked it up. I always try to get something new or different from the beers available at the Breeze center.

Last night, I enjoyed an Oettinger (sp. ?) Pils. From what I’ve read online, its known for being very “hoppy” and I tasted that when I drank it.

BTW, there seem to be several James Squire beers available, including an IPA.

Looking forward to the enjoying the porter this weekend.

Hope you get over your cold soon, Tigerman. This is beer-drinking weather, at least imho.

If you ask Almas John, beer-drinking is always in season… :laughing:

But, I agree… and this damn cold… I might have a porter and or one of the stouts tonight… just for the restorative effects, you know… :wink:

5% abv is a bit light for keeping and would only keep for a prolonged period of time at that abv if it were bottle-conditioned.

5% abv is a bit light for keeping and would only keep for a prolonged period of time at that abv if it were bottle-conditioned.[/quote]

Yes, and I don’t think it is bottle conditioned.

Just snapped up a case of the [color=brown]James Squire Porter[/color]. There’s only less than a case and a half left, by my count, if anyone else is interested in this brew.

I also picked up a six-pack of this at Breeze:

I was in Breeze today and they have plenty of Porter and IPA and all sorts of stuff. Like a dog with two mickeys I was, running around after beer, but you can only carry sho mush back to the offishe.

Can you get heather beer here ? Maybe that mad scotsman could advise ?

Haven’t seen any Fraoch here.

Nae, nor yet Grozet.

Sad lack of Alba, too.

As for Ebulum? Forget it!

Even Kelpie is awa’, man, awa’.

Breeze now has several of the Peroni beers in stock. These are brewed by Italy’s most well regarded brewer.

This one isn’t bad… it might be nice with some pasta for dinner.

I picked up a couple of these at Breeze today:

Newcastle Brown Ale is one of the only English brown ales that can be found worldwide. Its notable for our purposes, because other than the canned Boddingtons, its the only English ale available in Taiwan.

This beer, despite being somewhat of a mass-produced brew, is really quite good, if imbibed slowly at the right temperature (I think around 13-15 degrees C).

BruneAle and Sheepshagger, anything you two would like to add or contest?

[quote=“tigerman”]Breeze now has several of the Peroni beers in stock. These are brewed by Italy’s most well regarded brewer.

This one isn’t bad… it might be nice with some pasta for dinner.[/quote]

Nastro Azzurro by the same brewer is much better. Do they have that? Went to their brewery about 9 years ago.

[quote=“BroonAle”]

Nastro Azzurro by the same brewer is much better. Do they have that? Went to their brewery about 9 years ago.[/quote]

They do.

[quote=“tigerman”]I picked up a couple of these at Breeze today:

Newcastle Brown Ale is one of the only English brown ales that can be found worldwide. Its notable for our purposes, because other than the canned Boddingtons, its the only English ale available in Taiwan.

This beer, despite being somewhat of a mass-produced brew, is really quite good, if imbibed slowly at the right temperature (I think around 13-15 degrees C).

BruneAle and Sheepshagger, anything you two would like to add or contest?[/quote]

Indeed, kind sir. Newkie Broon is traditionally a bottled ale and is traditiionally consumed ifrom ‘pint’ (actually 640ml) bottles poured into a small half-pint glass and topped up until the bottle is empty. Broon Ale purists would not touch the 330 ml ‘export’ bottle, can or draught. I was once taken to an ‘English Pub’ in Santa Monica where my host proudly took me to the bar and pointed at the NBA tap. I politely accepted the offer of a pint but felt obliged to express my cultural reservations at consuming this fine drop in a manner anathema to my upbringing. How about that for an addition?

[quote=“BroonAle”]
Indeed, kind sir. Newkie Broon is traditionally a bottled ale and is traditiionally consumed ifrom ‘pint’ (actually 640ml) bottles poured into a small half-pint glass and topped up until the bottle is empty. Broon Ale purists would not touch the 330 ml ‘export’ bottle, can or draught. I was once taken to an ‘English Pub’ in Santa Monica where my host proudly took me to the bar and pointed at the NBA tap. I politely accepted the offer of a pint but felt obliged to express my cultural reservations at consuming this fine drop in a manner anathema to my upbringing. How about that for an addition?[/quote]

Fascinating… but a bit depressing as well. We can only get the 330ml bottles here in Taiwan… :cry:

But, I’m still going to drink them… probably have one tonight.

Avalable at Jason’s at Taipei 101:

As far as I am aware, these are the first American microbrews available in Taiwan:

Thanks for the heads up on those Tigerman – can’t wait to try them.

At Jason’s, huh? Looks like they’re going to give the Breeze center a run for their money.

Well, I best be making a trip out to the old 101 building.

[quote]
As far as I am aware, these are the first American microbrews available in Taiwan: [/quote]

Yes, I’ve never seen any other American microbrews out this way before.

Thanks for the alret, Tigerman. I will be picking up some of these before the end of the week.