Beer Alert & Directory

Oh my Buddha!!! 4 pages in and no word from the Canadian contingent here at Segue…Maoman…how could you let this happen? When it comes to beer, shouldn’t we be getting the opinion of the true beer drinkers…

Odeon Cafe in Shida sells Maudite beer…the finest beer in all the world…and although packaged along the same marketing strategies as those finer Belgian brews, it is brewed in Chambly, Quebec.

Also ran, should you happen to find yourself in the great white north someday would be;

Sleemans Honey Pale Ale…Guelph, Ontario
Warthog…Big Rock Breweries, Calgary, Alberta
Alexander Keith’s IPA…Nova Scotia

and anything from Storm Breweries in East Vancouver…

Damn…for the first time in a year, I miss Canada… :cry:

Yeah… Canadians…

Haven’t been there in a while, but Paco’s Pizza joint used to carry a good selection of the Unibroue brews, including Blanche de Chambly (a Belgian-style witbier similar to Hoegaarden), La Fin du Monde (at 9% abv), Maudite (at 8% abv) and Raftman (at 5% abv and brewed with whiskey malt). I never saw Unibroue’s La Gaillarde, a brew that is based on medieval recipes and brewed with herbs and spices instead of hops (like the Heather Ale series of brews from Scotland). FYI, Unibroue was founded by two Canadians who love Belgian beer, Andre Dion and a rock star (I guess in Canada) named Robert Charlebois. However, Unibroue’s head brewer is a Belgian guy.

I can’t seem to link the photos into this post but its worth going to the Beershots gallery to ogle your favorite pint through a microscope.

They got Maudite, a Rothkoesque Taiwan Beer and most brews in between.

Hello beer lovers,

Belgian beers are being sold in the Breeze Supermarket (down in the basement) for NT 90 (or NT 99, sorry I forget) per bottle. Chimay, Duvel, a framboze (sp.?), and a few others. If this has already been mentioned, please forgive the re-post.

NT 90 seems a pretty good price, certainly cheaper than the NT 150-180 charged in many bars and cafes around the city.

However, I do admit that buying the beers and drinking them at home may lack the excitment of drinking them in the “atmoshpere” of the pubs and cafes. Also, it may be cheaper to order the Belgian beers (by the case) directly from Geert.

Anyway, I was happy to pick up a few bottles and I just wanted to pass the word along to the other beer lovers.

Hey fee,

Thanks for the update… that’s good news.

How’s your own brewin’ going?

Hello Tigerman,

Howdy. I am ashamed to admit it, but I haven’t started the homebrewing yet. I just haven’t gotten around to it yet, though I hope to get the gear and get started soon (like next weekend).

Here is a reply from the company to my e-mail enquiry about the kits. I don’t think that they will mind if I post it here.

"A Homebrew kid (I think they mean ‘kit’) is 1800 NT dollars. You can find the detail from www.beerdiy.com.tw. We deliver the homebrew kid by Hsin Chu Trans Co. They can deliver on saturday. Upon you get the homebrew kid, you give 1800 NT dollars to the man. You must provide detail address, phone no.

Homebrew.com"

After I order and get started, I will be sure to keep you posted with the results. Of course, I will share some of the beer with you–I hope it turns out.

Thanks again for the book. Hope all is well.

fee

Oh… Very good beer news for Taiwan residents today… soon, soon, a wonderful classic Czech brew may be available in Taiwan.

:smiley:

Anyone here remember “I LOVE BEER”? Great name. It came in a can almost identical to good old Taiwan Beer. :smiley:

I’m off to Amsterdam next month and I’m preparing my Dutch beer list (what I hope to try and maybe bring back). Here is what I’m looking at so far:

Anything brewed by 't Ij, i.e., its Plzen, Natte, Zatte, Struis and Columbus… and Vlo, if available. I’m taking a trip to this microbrewery, so I plan to settle in there and sample everything.

La Chouffe and N’ice Chouffe (OK, these are Belgian, but they’re difficult to find here).

La Trappe Enkel, Dubbel, Tripel and Quadrupel.

Christofflel Blond and Robertus

Gulpener Korenwolf

Brugs Tarwebier (OK, this too is Belgian but it’s a very good witbier that isn’t available in Taiwan)

Dobbelaer

Mestreechs Blunt

Hertog Jan Grand Prestige

Jopen Hoppenbier, Jopen Koyt, Jopen vier granen Bokbier

Klein Duimpje Huisbrouwerij Hazelnoot Porter

Bierbrouwerij De Schans Schwarz, Herengracht 90, Blond Extra, Tripel

De Snaterende Arend Nest Vlieder and 't Swarte Schaap

Stichting Noordhollandse Alternatieve Bierbrouwers (S.N.A.B.) Pale Ale, X-Porter, Czaar Peter, Maelstrom, Speculator and Ijsbock

Does anyone have any other suggestions, and if so, please explain why you like the beer. I have located a specialty beer shop in Amsterdam that carries over 750 different bottled beers :smiley:, so I’m anxious to try something new.

Have a great trip, Tigerman. Make sure that you get some fries (frites?)-- mayonnaise optional. You can wash down the fries with all of the great beer you’ll be drinking.

Will you be able to make it down to Belgium?

Please post details of your trip and of your beer discoveries, if you don’t mind.

Do you know when that Czech beer will make its debut in Taiwan? I’d like to buy you a round as thanks for your giving me the book about beer. Sadly, I have failed to get off my lazy backside and get in gear about the home brewing. Soon, soon…

Safe travels and many happy beers.

As long as youre in amsterdam, might as well head to belgium. all those abbey ales are really good. interesting flavours, good stuff. isnt trappe belgian?

btw, there is a great Bar in Beijing if you go that imports like 10-12 different kinds of Belgian beer. the guy is from there i think. its called the … Tree. I forget. I want to say hidden tree, but that sounds like something out of an ad i saw. or was that hidden valley

If you get over to Eindhoven, be sure to check out O’Shea’s Irish Pub (Jan Van Lieshoutstraat 9). Great beer, people and music…but they do gawk if you order tequilla! :laughing:

La Trappe is one of the several Trappist ales, but it is brewed in Holland, while the others are all brewed in Belgium. I will not have much time in the Dam, so I am sticking to there and outskirts. When I do go to Belgium, I wanna do it right.

We have over 100 Belgian beers available in Taiwan. But thanks for the tip… next time I’m in beijing, I’ll look for that place rather than settling for Yanjing beer.

Will do, perhaps. I have located a store in the Dam that sells over 750 different bottled brews from around the world… and I will be looking to procure several British ales/bitters and maybe a few stouts and some Czech and German brews… and I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a few US micro brews too.

Went to Cosi-o-Cosi today for lunch and tried the Kasteel Brune… It is a special and very strong beer, at 11% abv, and it does look like and has the viscosity of Port. It was served a bit too cold, but as it rose in temperature, the flavors and feel really, really, became enhanced. Absolutely delicious. I bought a bottle to take home for later enjoyment.

Sandman, I think you would enjoy this one very much, despite its high abv %age.

Cosi is also carrying the newer, Gouden Tripel (a Blonde), which is also also 11% abv… Unfortunately they are currently sold out :cry:

Ok, real mass-market beer. I’ve been in Taiwan too long, missing out on the microbeers!

Ok, real mass-market beer. I’ve been in Taiwan too long, missing out on the microbeers![/quote]
Not to be a nit-picking bore, but if you’re holding up Blue or Canadian as a “real” alternative to Bud or Miller then you’re not really in the game. And for every Sleeman and Wellington there are ten or more better examples in the U.S. More importantly, if you think microbrews (not bottled) in Canada are even one-tenth the quantity and quality of the same Stateside then you’re sadly misinformed. And don’t even talk about Europe!

Toronto has maybe three good pubs with a good selection of quality microbrews. Truly pathetic. I don’t know where we Canadians got the idea that we have better beer than the Americans, other than that some of our brews have a higher alcohol content.

Ok, real mass-market beer. I’ve been in Taiwan too long, missing out on the microbeers![/quote]
Not to be a nit-picking bore, but if you’re holding up Blue or Canadian as a “real” alternative to Bud or Miller then you’re not really in the game. And for every Sleeman and Wellington there are ten or more better examples in the U.S. More importantly, if you think microbrews (not bottled) in Canada are even one-tenth the quantity and quality of the same Stateside then you’re sadly misinformed. And don’t even talk about Europe!

Toronto has maybe three good pubs with a good selection of quality microbrews. Truly pathetic. I don’t know where we Canadians got the idea that we have better beer than the Americans, other than that some of our brews have a higher alcohol content.[/quote]

go ahead, be a nit picking bore! :slight_smile:

I’d take a molsons moosehead or labatts over a bud or–blech–miller anyday. as I said, I don’t have a clue about the microbrews!

[quote=“daltongang”]go ahead, be a nit picking bore! :slight_smile:

I’d take a molsons moosehead or labatts over a bud or–blech–miller anyday. as I said, I don’t have a clue about the microbrews![/quote]
Ah, Molson’s – it’s like making love in a canoe. (F*cking close to water.)

Moosehead – didn’t Maine just reduce it to a misdemeanor?

Give me a Pyramid Hefeweizen, or a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, or anything by Elysian any day. Even a Redhook if I’m desperate.

What are the homebrewing laws in Taiwan, anyway?? Any brewing supply places in Taipei?

…if you think microbrews (not bottled) in Canada are even one-tenth the quantity and quality of the same Stateside then you’re sadly misinformed. And don’t even talk about Europe!

Toronto has maybe three good pubs with a good selection of quality microbrews. Truly pathetic. I don’t know where we Canadians got the idea that we have better beer than the Americans, other than that some of our brews have a higher alcohol content.[/quote]

Correct.

But please note, the US has the two strongest brews in the world:

Sam Adams Millenium at 24% abv

and a Dogfish Head brew at a close 23.4% abv

The US has a superb selection of brews made by small brewers all over the nation… hyper-hoppy is the American norm, but in the past several years, US micro-brewers have been experimenting, with very good results, many other styles.

Oh Canada… get in the game!