Běigān Island At Matsu Archipelago

Hi All

This is Shawn, I’m doing my alternative military service on Běigān Island. Actually, this place is out of Taiwan island. The Matsu Archipelago was named for the deep faith in Mazu, the Goddess of the Sea, that characterise the island. The group is basically made of 4 main islands, Dongyin Island, Běigān Island, Jǔguāng Island, and Nángān Island.

Right now I’m going to introduce some of Beigan Island famous tourist place to visit.

Běigān Beihai Tunnel

Beihai Tunnel is a water channel crossing in a shape. The total length of the walkway is 550m and it takes approximately 20 mins to finish one round trip. The tunnel was made entirely by manual excavation of the granite, and during its construction hundreds of soldiers sacrificed their lives and the tunnel was completed around 3 years time working days. The difficulty of construction and grand sight for the tunnel shows it to be an incomparable piece of work with extremely fine craftsmanship. At present, the tunnel is open for public viewing, but during the daytime which the tides must be taken into consideration when scheduling visits.

Qinbi Village

Qinbi Village, which early on was comprehensive restored in the traditional style, is one of the traditional style, is one of the most popular tourist on Beigan. The village is built on a steep mountainside faceting the sea; it contains a “Pirate House”, as well as an enchantingly romantic Aegean Atmosphere.

The Fun Bird of Watching

The almost mythical Chinese crested tern was seen here in 2000, 2004 and 2005. This bird is listed as threatened species, in the same class as the black-faced spoonbill; but its numbers are even smaller, with fewer than 100 left in the world! Even more importantly, the world-making Matsu a focus of attention for international conservationists and media. To keep the habitat of tern undisturbed, human beings are banned from landing on islands in the sanctuary or entering its core area all year round. Around July and August each year, during the nesting period visitors are allowed to approach on boats to within 100 meters of the low- tide lin ti enjoy the beautiful sight of the birds soaring about.

Reference ●被稱為「神話之鳥」的黑嘴端鳳頭燕鷗,百年來僅有兩三次攝影紀錄。照片/貓頭鷹出版社提供

If you want to know further informations from above, please contact us. We are the Beigan Island visitor center. Our contact no. is +886 8 365-6531. Email: fairylandinbeigan@livemail.tw

Shawn, why did you just change the title of this thread? I suggest you change it back. Few people will understand what it means and it won’t help people doing a search on Mazu.

Anyway, thanks for writing this. I’ve met other young Taiwanese guys doing alternative service working at various centres around Taiwan and they’ve always been very friendly and as helpful as they can.

That said, one thing I was disappointed with in some places though is the poor knowledge the alternative-service staff had at the centres. One guy at Sun Moon Lake told me that he had been driven around the lake once when he first arrived and then after that never visited any of the sites. While it was good to be able to speak to someone in English, he couldn’t tell me much more than the brochures.

So how’s your knowlegde of Mazu? :wink:

Hi Much man. I will change it back. I just wonder it’s anything u want to know about in this Beigan Island i will like to introduce you. Cuz in last 2day Im trying 2 type those stuffs but everyday i will put some new stuffs in such as religion, food, a commendation, transport and history etc. If you want to more i will suggest call us and email us. or u can check this our main site :Http://www.matsu-nsa.gov.tw

Specially, i will suggest come over in summertime thought from June-Sept. In this time u can see nice and beautiful beach and also rare birds as well.

P.s

1. At moment I don’t have much English information, so i need to translate some of them. It will takes time i wish you can understand.

[quote=“sherrysummercamp”]Hi Much man. I will change it back. I just wonder it’s anything u want to know about in this Beigan Island i will like to introduce you. Cuz in last 2day I’m trying 2 type those stuffs but everyday i will put some new stuffs in such as religion, food, a commendation, transport and history etc. If you want to more i will suggest call us and email us. or u can check this our main site :Http://www.Mazu-nsa.gov.tw

Specially, i will suggest come over in summertime thought from June-Sept. In this time u can see nice and beautiful beach and also rare birds as well.

P.s

1. At moment I don’t have much English information, so I need to translate some of them. It will takes time i wish you can understand.[/quote]

Thanks, Shawn.

I would love to know more about festivals and religion. Even information on when little local temples have things going on is useful. Many temples are quiet most of the year but maybe once, on the birthday of the local god, for example, they may be very colorful.

More history would be great too.

One thing foreigners really like is the out of the way places and things that are a little weird or bizarre. If you have any stuff like that, please include it. For example, in Kaohsiung, there is a tiny temple in which the three gods are actually Dutch Admiralas for the time of the Dutch occupation. It’s the only temple in Taiwan I know of to have western gods worshipped. Anyway, little quirky things like that are great.

Anyway, of course I understand this will take time. But your work is very much appreciated.

Wow! I’d love to see that. Where is it?

A long time ago I was told there a temple to Chiang Kai-shek on Kaohsiung’s Cijin Island, built by some mainlander veterans. I’ve never been able to track it down.

Shawn, you don’t happen to ever work at the military history display out on the point beyond Houao Village, do you? If so, I might have seen you when I was there a couple of weeks ago. But I doubt it, as the alternative service guy there didn’t seem to be interested in much of anything.

One theme I noticed in Mazu was the theme of the bodies of Chinese general washing up onto the shores of villages, which then prospered after they gave them a proper burial, resulting in a temple by the said washing-up. Also lots of White Horse devotion and different architectural temple colors/styles. They do take good care of their temples; I don’t think I saw a single one that was in need of repair.

My Mazu photos.

Wow! I’d love to see that. Where is it?
[/quote]

Beside the Old British Consulate at Takou. It’s just a little shrine. If I remember correctly there is a red brick (those ugly new shiny red bricks) temple to the left of the consulate, and just to the left of that is a small shrine with three gods in it. They represent Dutch Admirals.

Ahem, someone didn’t read his new Lonely Planet front to back. :wink:

[quote=“Poagao”]Shawn, you don’t happen to ever work at the military history display out on the point beyond Houao Village, do you? If so, I might have seen you when I was there a couple of weeks ago. But I doubt it, as the alternative service guy there didn’t seem to be interested in much of anything.

One theme I noticed in Mazu was the theme of the bodies of Chinese general washing up onto the shores of villages, which then prospered after they gave them a proper burial, resulting in a temple by the said washing-up. Also lots of White Horse devotion and different architectural temple colors/styles. They do take good care of their temples; I don’t think I saw a single one that was in need of repair.

My Mazu photos.[/quote]

Yup You are right its not me, I started to serve this service in 1/04. I’m sure that guy differentially not me. The Alternative service only serve 2 places one is Houao museum, and another one is in visitor center. I’m apologies for your matter. In the meanwhile we are shortage someone who have fluent English to introduce.

This Begian Island they have a lot’s of temples, which villagers are good take care of them.

Just let you know if you do have time to visit this island again i will recommend you come in summer time. We do have tern festival coming soon in this summer time and local governor will provide the free boat take visitor to see the tern and special deer. The free boat time will in specific time and date. If you do interest please contact or email us. Then we will let you know the date.

If you need someone speak English or get some English Info’s please ask for Shawn.