Being a citizen not enough to bring parents over:(

I called the NIA today…even if I become a citizen I can’t bring my parents over as dependents.
I explained that I spend so much money on mortgage in SA and helping my parents out, and flying there to see them…I now have 2 empty rooms in my home. I just want them here with me. Then instead of sending money to SA I can spend it here in Taiwan.

nope…even if I’m married to a local I can’t bring them over.

snifffff snifffff

[quote=“Battery9”]I called the NIA today…even if I become a citizen I can’t bring my parents over as dependents.
I explained that I spend so much money on mortgage in SA and helping my parents out, and flying there to see them…I now have 2 empty rooms in my home. I just want them here with me. Then instead of sending money to SA I can spend it here in Taiwan.

nope…even if I’m married to a local I can’t bring them over.

snifffff snifffff[/quote]

There are always ways around things. Get one of your parents here on an ARC then he/she can sponsor the other.

they are both 63. Don’t think anyone will buy them coming over here to teach. Oh and they don’t have degrees…it’s just irritating. I don’t want to have to leave Taiwan in a couple of years when they get too old to walk etc.

Even if you’re a citizen, you can’t bring your parents over? That’s just plain ridiculous.

yes, they said being family is not enough reason to allow someone into a country for a long time. To get an ARC they need to work.

She compared it to Taiwanese parents having a kid that was born in the US. If that person grew up in the US and wanted to come live in Taiwan (and they were over 18) they can’t come to join their parents. Family is not enough.

it sucks! I’ve got this huge house…3 floors…2 empty bedrooms. They could just sit and watch TV all day! I mean they won’t be able to get medical aid…so imagine how much money the island can make off them. ayooo

Ok…try this, then. Have your parents get themselves a 1 year multiple entry visitor visa. Once they are here, they don’t need to do visa runs every 60 days. You just take them every 55 days or so to the Immigration department and they will stamp their passports and everything will be cool for the next 60 days. You can do this for a year. You just need to make sure that you have documentation attesting to your relationship. Your birth certificate would work. They can’t have health insurance, but it’s still very cheap.

I’ve got a friend that has been doing this for the past year and he’s just starting the second year. Here are the details.

1. Friend has an employment based ARC.
  2. He has a worthless son who is over 22 years old. Worthless son barely finished high school. Has no other “education” to speak of. Doesn’t want to work at McDonald’s in America or do some other menial job, so he has come to freeload off of his father for an indefinite period of time. I’m guessing until retirement!
  3. Worthless son has a multiple entry visitor visa. Every 55 days my friend takes his worthless son to the immigration department to extend the visa by another 60 days without leaving the country.
  4. After one year, worthless son must make a new visa run to Macau or Hong Kong or Okinawa to apply for a new one year multiple entry visitor visa. He just completed this and he’s beginning his second year of freeloading!
    ===========================================
    Another option for getting them an ARC would be to have them “work” as a volunteer (unpaid) for an international organization that could provide them with an ARC. I’m thinking that the World Wildlife Federation would be a good one. I know one guy whose been in Taiwan for over 30 years based on this organization’s sponsorship. If your parents can hang for 5 years doing this volunteer work…then they have health insurance and stay in Taiwan until they can apply for citizenship. How about that?

How on earth does one go about getting a one-year multiple entry visitor visa? South Africans have to sweat blood just to be graciously granted a one-month non-extendable visitor visa.

[quote=“jimipresley”]How on earth does one go about getting a one-year multiple entry visitor visa? South Africans have to sweat blood just to be graciously granted a one-month non-extendable visitor visa.[/quote]Don’t know. My friend has been living and working in Taiwan for the same firm for nearly 25 years and is originally from the US. Maybe it is easier for US citizens to get some lovin’ from the TECO? I remember when I first applied for my visitor visa. I had requested a single entry visitor visa and the TECO officer asked me if I wouldn’t prefer a one year multiple entry just to give me some options if things didn’t work out the way I expected. So, I told her ok. This was way back in 1999 though and I feel they’ve since tightened things up a bit regarding handing out multiple entry visitor visas willy nilly.

There are proposals in place for foreigners to retire in TW. Keep an eye out. IT could be possible for your parents to retire in TW later on. Things are changing.

yes, when I came here 8 years ago I only got a 2 week visa. It was horrible…I was shocked to hear one of my SA friends getting a month visa. Things are definitely a lot easier for Americans and Canadians.

I’d like to ask a question to be clear about something. You say that being a citizen isn’t enough to bring your parents over, and you say that marrying a local isn’t enough. You realize that marriage to a local doesn’t get you citizenship, right? I’m asking because these are two different statements and two different statuses and I’m confused about whether you’re saying that you asked about both options, or if you mean that you asked about getting married.
My ex-husband and I had considered trying to bring my mother over (this has been years ago now) and he was told he should be able to get a joining family ARC for her. I would not be able to get this for her, but my husband, being the citizen, could. We never did try it though, so I don’t know if it would really have worked out.

[quote=“housecat”]I’d like to ask a question to be clear about something. You say that being a citizen isn’t enough to bring your parents over, and you say that marrying a local isn’t enough. You realize that marriage to a local doesn’t get you citizenship, right? I’m asking because these are two different statements and two different statuses and I’m confused about whether you’re saying that you asked about both options, or if you mean that you asked about getting married.
My ex-husband and I had considered trying to bring my mother over (this has been years ago now) and he was told he should be able to get a joining family ARC for her. I would not be able to get this for her, but my husband, being the citizen, could. We never did try it though, so I don’t know if it would really have worked out.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure that marriage isn’t on the cards for miss 9 though. Sorry to hear about that dear. As Sandy says there has to be a way, although I have never heard of anybody else bringing family over (its a thought I’ve had from time to time).

Does your momma and pappy have enough retirement dosh that they could prove they have an adequate income to support themselves overseas? I thought Taiwan was considering implementing a retirement visa as other jurisdictions such as Malaysia have done with their “My Second Home” program.

Basically the retiree has to prove that they make more than a certain income per month in retirement and they grant you a special visa…if this isn’t on the books in Taiwan, it should be as these old folks tend to spend a lot of money. It basically gives them a 10 year renewable multiple entry visa to live in Malaysia. They can also bring in a car tax free and open businesses as they like. Basically, they have to have at least 26K in the bank and make at least 1800 dollars a month. Some info is here:
mm2h.gov.my/conditions.php

Why don’t you get work as a teacher in Malaysia and bring your parents over there…or in Singapore…lots of countries in the region do have such systems for retired people. Singapore’s PR can be obtained in as little as 2 years. You could work in Singapore as a teacher if you are certified making quite a high salary and have your parents living over the bridge in Johor under the above-mentioned program. Or you could just get them over to Taiwan on a visitor visa…however, they won’t have access to the health care…Malaysia has dirt cheap and high quality health care.

No it’s not. Most coutnries just dont give away residency for elderly parents to visit. Elderly people ordinarily need more health care and other services.

The OP could bring them here on long term visitor visas though thats possible.

It will alos be a big adjustment at this age moving to Taiwan and starting life here. Can be done sure and we all want to take care of our parents. I put mine in an urn on the shelf but hey thats just me.

nope, my parents have no money, no car, live in a little one bedroom townhouse that’s costing NT20 000 mortgage per month.

Yes, I know the marriage and citizenship is different. I asked about both…the woman said even if I was married to a local it wouldn’t work. But I’m sure it will. They would have to go on the hubby’s household registry I think.

I don’t want to bring my parents here with the fear of them having to leave again…it’s a huge move and if I sell the house back home etc, and they need to return in a year…then I’m doubly screwed.

And yes, marriage isn’t going to happen for me.Thought about marrying a gay local, but then I have to involve his parents and that makes me nervous too…and it may not even be possible to bring them.

Battery, don’t dismay. Remember the law of burocracy: what one burocrat tells you, the other one willl say something different. Wait and see, the laws are changing, as a matter of fact, there had been developments in this area last year. Hopefully, it would be easier than you think.

Concentrate on yourself, getting your nationality or APRC, then focus on this other issue. Just residency or marriage seems not sure enough, but with “roots” here, the fight is better fought.

The TW govt has been eyeing the wealth of Japanese retirees coming to TW to retire. They are thinking of laws that allow people to retire in TW. Things could change for the better.

Sheesh Tommy can you read what the lass wrote.

PS Your parents would not be added to your Hubby’s household registration if you got married. They are not ROC Nationals.

Even my own son is not listed on my Household Registration, as he is not an ROC Citizen, even though I am.

I think the NIA are wrong. As usual. You need to talk to a lawyer. You are under a legal obligation in Taiwan to look after your parents in their old age. Ask your lawyer to ask the NIA if they are asking you to break your legal obligation to your parents and will they look after them instead (indemnify you) when your parent sue you for being unfilial, as they are quite entitled to do.

SA parents living in SA are hardly entitled to ROC laws. Doubt you would get far but you never know.

The title thread is also misleading as the OP is not a Citizen of the ROC.