Being a VERY tall visitor in taiwan!

Hello Everyone.

I am very new to this site. I have spent the last couple of days just reading some of the old discussions. It looks like a really amazing site to learn about Taiwan. Moderators, I had no idea where this topic/post should go so if you feel as though it should be moved, go ahead thanks!

Ok. I will traveling to Taiwan sometime this summer (between may-august 2005) as part of an international exchange between my university and a university in Taiwan (I have to be placed: the possible cities are taipei, tainan, taichung, hualoian, and kaoshiung.) I will be staying there for at least 1 month. The exchange program is between medical universities and I will be working in a hospital 5 days a week for that 1 month. During this month, my room will be paid for, so I presume I will be staying with a taiwanese medical student.

I think I will be staying there for possibly another month on my own to explore and live in taiwan for some time. I will have to find accommodation for myself at this time.

Anyways… now to the topic at hand (sorry for the long prologue). I am a 21 year old Canadian student and I am VERY tall. I am 6’10" which is about 208cm. As you may guess, I get a considerable amount of looks and comments about my height even where I live… I presume I will get even more while I am in Taiwan. My question is:

What will be some of the repercussions of me being tall? What should I expect? What will be some pros and cons of my visit?

I expect that I will be asked a lot about my height, stared at alot and perhaps asked to be in pictures with some of the locals… but what else?

I will be a foreigner… but I will be a very tall foreigner. Help me out to prepare myself!

Thanks and sorry for the length,

Marc

(I will probably be asking a lot of questions about Taiwan across the entire forum, so if you see me don’t hesitate to help!)

I certainly don’t think you’d be discriminated against for your height when you’re in the country. Instead just prepare yourself for staring and questions… and people wanting to stand beside you (like you’ve already pointed out)

It shouldn’t be too bad :slight_smile:

One problem you’ll have in Taiwan is that a lot of things are built to Japanese standard. Apparently, those standards are too small for modern Japanese since they were set up in the 1960s. So watch your head and be prepared to sit in some uncomfortable chairs.

You’ll also need to have enough pants and shoes made before you get here. Shirts you can have made here if necessary. I would think that you would feel more comfortable outside of Taipei where things are not so cramped. But you will get more stares down there.

Good luck. I’ve seen some really, really tall foreigners here. They seem to be surviving.

Especially watch you’re head. I am only 6’3", a midget compared to you and I have been attacked by dozens of low flying street signs. The metallic corners really hurt.

Be prepared to bang your head a lot on: stairwells; bathroom door frames; bathroom ceilings that for some unexplainable reason have false ceilings that drop down to chin-level in the middle of the room; taxis; some elevators…oh and there’s always a surprise or two to go with this list.

Beds are a problem too. If you are moving into a place furnished, you better tell them ahead of time to give you and extra long bed. Im 6’2 and the normal beds here are too short for me-I have them made extra long.

Beds? Yes, beds are going to be a big “problem” for you. Kicking all the xiaojies out of it, that’s going to keep you very occupied.

I’m just sayin’…the girls here like’em tall. It doesn’t matter if you’re ugly; height trumps that, it’s all that matters. Have fun, loverboy. :smiley:

I have a good friend here who is 203cm in height, slightly shorter.

Doorways, Beds, scooters and small bikes, stairways and low hanging signs you will have fun with. Small cars you’ll have to sit across the back seat. Taxi’s here will be a tight squeeze for you.

Photo shoots you need to be sitting or kneeling, other wise your friends will only come up to your breasts, if not lower lol.

Being stared at happens anyways so I guess you’ll not notice it here too much. Of course you’ll be asked of your an NBA player so answer yes.

Apart from that hope you enjoy your time here.

Hi Marc,

Welcome to Taiwan. When I traveled around Taiwan 30 years ago my 6’ 4" tall frame attracted a lot of attention. Nice thing was standing in a crowd my Taiwan in-laws could spot me and I could do the lighthouse search and find them.

Well, now I’m back in Taiwan after all those years and although I’m still 6"4" that’s no longer ‘really tall’ anymore. Riding the trains from Hualien to Taipei and on to the West coast, I found lots of young Taiwanese easily passing up my height, I’d say to the 6’8" and 6’10" level. Made me feel down right normal.

I’m not saying everyone’s that tall, but it isn’t the oddity it once was. You’ll do just fine. Remember the old line about measuring a man from the neck up and keep a smile on your face. It works wonders.

OOC

One more tip: make sure you bring slippers (sandals) for indoor use. I have had difficultty finding big enough ones here and I wear a size 14 which I’m sure must be smaller than what you wear.

Good luck[/b]

Experience with my 6’7" friend who has been in Taiwan for like 15 years now: all of the above, plus if you want a bicycle, you may need to special order it or the frame. If you want to rollerblade, definitely bring them from outside Taiwan.

My friend had it tough because he looks like Larry Byrd… :smiley:

Hello everyone and thanks very much for the comments. It doesn’t sound all that bad. Everything that’s been mentioned I already have problems with in Canada; but I guess the situation in Taiwan will just be magnified… that’s ok.

I should have enough pants and shoes for the time I’m there (only 1-2 months). About clothing… during the months from may to august, are sweaters even necessary? During the rain, is it still muggy and hot or is it cold enough that I should bring 1 or 2?
Keep in mind that I am experiencing -40C weather right now with windchill where I live, so something like +15C is not cold at all!

I will have to adjust my ducking… You get used to having to duck under things (including doorways). It usually only takes getting your head hit once before you learn to duck.

Beds: I thought about this, I presume that I will just end up sleeping on a mattress on the floor. Even the extra long beds in Taiwan may not be big enough. The bed I have now my feet can still hang slightly over the edge if I lie straight.

Xiaojies: What is the exact definition of this word? I take it they are women or “Miss’s”…?
Well, I certainly don’t have a big problem with this except that for the first month I might be staying with a family so I will respect their house rules and wishes.
General Question about this: At what age are most local women (and men) living on their own away from their parents?

I may answer the NBA question: Yes, when it is most strategic to do so. :wink:

Slippers: What exactly qualifies as slippers? I take it we are not allowed to wear shoes indoors… but sandals here are outdoor shoes, to wear to the beach. Other than that, I don’t have any slippers… hopefully socks will do.

Thanks again and sorry for the length, it’s hard to reply to everyone!

I just made mention of tall in another thread (staring) before I saw this one.

I am 6’ 3" and thats enough to get stared at a little in the west and all the time here. I did mention in the other thread that I only ever think of height if somebody is taller than me, otherwise its never an issue or part of my thinking.

Funny thing the Chinese women will sometimes do that I have not seen in the west is to look at your height then look directly at your crotch area.

You can see the gears clicking over. Very tall, big hands, big feet, big…

So, get used to that!

I almost died laughing while reading that… No you will not need a sweater unless you want to die of extreme heat!!!

[quote=“Raven”]
General Question about this: At what age are most local women (and men) living on their own away from their parents?

Slippers: What exactly qualifies as slippers? I take it we are not allowed to wear shoes indoors… but sandals here are outdoor shoes, to wear to the beach. Other than that, I don’t have any slippers… hopefully socks will do.[/quote]

1st Question: Most local people do not live away from their parents until (or even after) they are married. Of course there are lots of acceptions to this but this is the cultural norm, it takes some getting used to if you are from a place where you are kicked out of the house at 18.

2nd question: Socks will be just fine, especially in the summer. Or a new clean pair of beach sandals, either or.

Hey Raven,

As it’s very dusty in Taiwan, your white socks will end up gray in no time. Flip flops. You can bring a pair or four. Old Navy has them dirt cheap in NA. $1.99 US. Three to wear on the streets, and one pair for inside the home.

Hey Raven,

As it’s very dusty in Taiwan, your white socks will end up gray in no time. Flip flops. You can bring a pair or four. Old Navy has them dirt cheap in NA. $1.99 US. Three to wear on the streets, and one pair for inside the home.[/quote]

ah yes, Flip flops. NZers call them jandals and Aussies call them Thongs.
Bring some Thongs too. :wink:

Hmm… the problem with flip flops, is that they don’t make them in size 15!!

Old Navy carries them up to 10-11 mens I think.

I may just have to bring two or three pairs of actual sandals. Do the ones to wear inside have to be brand new?

No, don’t worry about it, bring the sandals you have just make sure they are clean.

I have a similar problem (I wear a 14) and I just shove my feet into slippers many sizes too small.

You’re going to hear the word ‘gao’ around you alot.

supernaut