Being intoxicated is a defense for murder?

I see cases like this

https://tw.news.yahoo.com/酒後殺人竟無保請回檢怒提抗告嘆人命不如狗命嗎-001410159.html

And there was another one where a murderer was acquitted for murder because he was drunk.

Is this a shift in attitudes? Or something weird is going on? So if I want to kill someone all I gotta do is get shitface drunk and I can avoid jail?

I think the jury is still out on that. The best way to avoid jail time is to not be foolish and think you can get away with doing something foolish.

Plainly ridiculouse, getting shitfaced is never a reason to avoid jail.

Sorry I did a DUI I was drunk OH OK we can let you off.!

I haven’t had good luck with the “I was intoxicated” excuse.

1 Like

It never worked for me on this site.

3 Likes

Cut your moms head off though, then its a legitimate excuse.

There have been numerous strange cases. Totally agree. But it seems all sides kind of agree the courts in taiwan are leaving something to be desired…

It’s a travesty of justice. But admittedly I’m more of a you cut off your mother’s head we cut off your head with a guillotine in public kind of gal.

If the executioner is drunk, that’s ok.

1 Like

It’s not a defense in most legal systems that I know of.

Insanity is though. Thats the grey area that became golden.

It’s come up before (I mean here at the site), not sure which thread…

That sounds like, for example someone offered me a drink, which was laced with an intoxicating substance (that I didn’t know of). And in the intoxication I committed a crime. In that case there would be diminished or no responsibility because I didn’t knowingly intoxicate myself.

But it’s very hard to do with alcohol unless you were forced to drink it, or the alcohol had been laced with say a date rape drug.

1 Like

This still leaves room for manslaughter charges, which I think must be on the books in Taiwan.

Whenever I hear about a case against a police officer for 1st or 2nd degree murder I always shake my head. They aim too high, when what they should prosecute is manslaughter. Drunk drivers who precipitate fatal collisions are not charged with murder, they are charged with manslaughter. This is cut and dry.

This is the one I always think of.

As you can see at the end of the article, they amended the law after that case, but recently the amendment was found unconstitutional by one of the lower courts.