Being stared at

My dh loves to respond to stares by saying in Chinese - “Do you speak Chinese? I don’t understand English.” or if someone asks where he’s from, he says our TW town’s name. Kind of a can’t beat 'em, join 'em idea with being friendly to those who stare or want to chat. We are in a very remote area where foreigners are more rare. Keep your sense of humor.

The OP might be interested in this thread, along the same lines.
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=43564&hilit=cope+with+the+staresthe

It’s part of the strange new science of chaos to observe how the stares grow exponentially, amongst multiple parameters, in the range of the more of a mixed race company.

My latest trick is to suddenly shift my intent gazing visual counterattack somewhere over their left shoulder.
Make Them Look Back.
In Trepidation.
When their gaze returns unto ye, their forehead is much more visually friendly.
 :cookie:

Love that one. Thanks Icon.[/quote]

I just stare back but open my mouth and make a dopey face…works a treat!

1 Like

I don’t really even register when it’s just me without the kid, but I have gotten in the habit of answering the Type B “Hooway ah yew Fammm?” (Type A being legitimately interested parties, who I’ll grudgingly deal with, Type B being loudmouth assholes drooling betel nut spit and trying to show off to their cronies) with “Wu Xing Jie”.
I did this a couple weeks ago to some sub-evolutional hanging around out in front of my neighborhood dumpling joint, where they’ve known me for years and will converse politely with me in Mandarin while we wait for the dumplings to get done.
When I said this to this primate, the two punks who work there both like to piss down both legs laughing and offered me smokes and copious thumbs ups.

this is money

You notice that this thread is 10yo, didn’t you?

I miss the Deuce.

Guy

2 Likes

2009 just seems like yesterday, don’t it? :slight_smile: I remember what I did in '09 in detail.

1 Like

Turn your crotch towards them and scratch your balls at length.

That usually works for me. My teenage son thinks it’s embarrassing though. He’s used to the staring. First day of school half the school comes to peek in his classroom.

2 Likes

That’s because, assuming the world really ended in 2012, it was only a few years ago.

1 Like

Where is the legend of the boards? :grin:
Is he fighting the good fight in the hills in Guatamala or settled down in a two up two down in Dirtinmakaks, Albuquerque.

1 Like

I see them out of the corner of my eye. My balls start to tickle, a slight tingly sensation emerges. But something holds me back. I tell myself I am the better man for not engaging, I am the better citizen for not returning the stare. I am the good foreigner

It’s a 10 years old thread indeed but started a similar thread last year, people mentioning Tainan in the first posts, why I am not surprised… still in Tainan since 2015 and it never stops. This year for the first time ever in my life I bought sunglasses just because of these stares. It helps a little but still plenty of stares every time I go out.

What’s strange is that in 2015-2016 first two years here, it did not bother me. I think the reason why is that I felt like an outsider, so people staring at me like I’m an outsider was not a problem.
But after 3-4 years you kind of feel you settled down and belong here, but obviously the stares are still there everyday and it starts to bother you seriously. I don’t see any solution other than wearing sunglasses + kou jao but it’s not very comfortable to wear both in a shopping mall.

1 Like

It’s like being a celebrity but without the benefits.

3 Likes

I live in Kaohsiung, and I really don’t feel like I get stared at that much. At least compared to when I was living in Korea. People in my area seem kind of blasé about foreigners and walking down the street you always see some. Not as many as in Taipei, but enough that it’s nothing special or unusual.

The only time I get creeped out is when I’m taking my daughter out and someone keeps staring at her, asking invasive questions, or even trying to touch her. But when I’m out alone, I’m generally not bothered.

3 Likes

Try the @RogerRabbi technique and things may change…

1 Like

Is this still a thing? Last time I was in Taipei I walked through a gang of kids and they didn’t even look up from their soccer game. Even here in Taitung if I get stared at it’ll be by a little kid from the countryside.

I helped make a baby. I did the fun bit.

I don’t notice getting stared at. Perhaps it happens and I’ve learned to ignore it?

Like DrewC I do pick up on my daughter receiving additional unwanted attention. Foreign doll and stuff.

1 Like

doesn’t really bother me unless i’m in a bad mood. then it feels a little unwelcoming but whatever i can stare back too.

since i’ve been here longer i notice people will start gossiping or just saying non filtered crap from the top of their heads. i was in a bbq restaurant a week or so ago and some fat woman sat next to me who seemed to be paying loads of attention to my table started talking about how she doesn’t date foreigners. i’m sure the feeling is mutual!

2 Likes