Being stared at

1 Like

I would love someone to answer my question too. Well it happens often that when i ask for directions to a group, thereā€™s always one that looks really unhappy.
Today I went to friendly taichung as people keep saying itā€™s more friendly. Maybe with the older people.
Iā€™m just testing by asking for directions which bus goes to taichung park. So these girls help me and one is staring at me not so happy, I say xie xie facing her as sheā€™s staring into my eyes with annoyance i think and just continues to ignore my thanks twice, turns around and smirks with her friends.
The last time i was in Taichung I said Xie xie and one lad mimics me in front of me but a few lads down (xie xie) i have a high pitch voice sometimes sounds whiney.
I canā€™t understand why the stern face sometimes like they are annoyed at me but mostly they are nice mainly in Taipei. Still with all that said iā€™d say 70-80% are friendly and will look things up for me, inluding the rest of that group. Better ratio than in the UK

1 Like

Like Koreans and Japanese, many Taiwanese have these stern, unemotional faces for no reason at all. Itā€™s just how they are, I donā€™t think they mean any offense.

Thanks for replying so fast, itā€™s just the lack of response to the thank you that tends to make me feel that they are annoyed. Iā€™m not annoyed at Taiwan btw i love it here more than uk. I could complain about UK too, I was just confused about the meanings behind things.
A lot of times the stern look is by staff then they start laughing when you leave, which is probably a culture/work thing not to laugh in front of customers. Similar to Japan actually, Taipei though wins in people taking a real care in other people/foreigners.

Look at it this way.

At least they arenā€™t staring at you to make sure you arenā€™t stealing anything.

Or staring because they think you might be acting out in an violent manner or gearing up to rob them

Or staring because you shouldnā€™t be there because your kind isnā€™t welcomed in their space.

Think of the staring as "oh thereā€™s something new and unique. The movies come to life! :wink:

4 Likes

I see this too I just think to myself they are probably spending too much time looking for and watching news about crazy foreigners.

And they donā€™t have any experience with normal people.

Iā€™ve found people to be quite friendly out on the hiking paths here. Everyone says hello/good morning, sometimes in English sometimes in Chinese. No big deal just people wanting to be nice and greet each other on a nice morning hike.

I always enjoy the åŠ ę²¹ from the elderly folks who are coming down after having hiked around for a while before all the younger people got out and about. Hope I have that much energy when I get to their age!

4 Likes

You are not walking around in a pointy white hat with long white robes are you. That might get you noticed out here. Burning white crosses are another no no , as they will wonder why are you burning the wood instead of selling it.

1 Like

Youā€™re not going to blank someone when out hiking.

I canā€™t help but do a double take when I see foreigners or hear English down south, especially in Chiayi. Itā€™s just so unusual to even see ABT-types. I suspect the foreigners I do run across are English teachers at the expensive English-only kindergarten. Iā€™m get so used to only seeing Taiwanese that when I see foreigners everywhere in Taipei, itā€™s a revelation.

are you out of your mind man?

all kinds of questionable fashion choices here. including lots of almost naked old men. nobody cares. shorts doesnā€™t even make it onto the radar.

3 Likes

Wasnā€™t there a poster here recently who was certain that everyone on the MRT and the street were laughing at him and mocking him, and we had to convince him it was just in his head? Wish I could remember the thread. It was pretty nuts.

3 Likes

Still got my eye on you. Keep talking this kinda rubbish and Iā€™ll be forced to bring out the Piers

Wasnā€™t it his classmates at university too?

ā€˜Twas a lady, in fact

2 Likes

Everywhere in Taipei ? :joy::joy::joy:

Thereā€™s TONNES of foreigners all over Taiwan.
Iā€™d recalibrate your sensors if I was you.

Hey I patented that phrase already for our local Commie Rogering Rabbit lover.

Still got my eye on you ā„¢

Was that guy suspended/banned? He seems totally psycho