Bells & Whistles

Doesn’t that tell you something?[/quote]
Exactly. There was a poll a while ago where it was discovered that most people weren’t really too interested in all the bells and whistles.
These titles certainly don’t make it easier for newcomers to get used to the site.
At least the FAQ is slightly clearer now. Maybe if anyone has time, as well as inventing any new titles they deem necessary, they could put an explanation of those specific titles, and the titles system in general, in the FAQ.

As this is becoming a ‘bells and whistles’ discussion, I have a new gripe to bring up here. Split the thread if you like.

I just tried to change my signature line, and was prevented from doing so because I haven’t entered my date of birth. I don’t want to enter my date of birth. I don’t see any reason why you should want me to. What gives?

[quote=“stragbasher”]I just tried to change my signature line, and was prevented from doing so because I haven’t entered my date of birth. I don’t want to enter my date of birth. I don’t see any reason why you should want me to. What gives?[/quote]Somebody else mentioned a problem like this before. We know that anonymity is important to some people and that there is a growing problem with companies and organisations requiring personal information on the internet. Thus if there must be a function to record members’ date of birth, it should be entirely optional.

As there are a thousand other internet sites where one can find out one’s horoscope prediction I question the need for this function at all.

It does say “Your birthday is required on this site”, I don’t think Gus would do that on purpose, It does need fixing, in the meantime, I suggest you lie.

Actually, I did do this on purpose (sorry, BFM)

I think it’s neat to see people’s birthdays listed up front,and Maoman didn’t mind when I asked that we make it required. But make no mistake: this was all my idea :slight_smile:

Can’t see YOUR birthday, Gus.

So what should I do ? I don’t have a birthday, I’m just a figment of someone’s demented imagination.
I was created on 22 Dec 2003, should I put that in ?

My birthday is in August. The list up front only shows those in the next 30 days

[quote=“FDM”]So what should I do ? I don’t have a birthday, I’m just a figment of someone’s demented imagination.
I was created on 22 Dec 2003, should I put that in ?[/quote]

Sure. that should work. lmk if it doesn’t

[quote=“gus”]I think it’s neat to see people’s birthdays listed up front,and Maoman didn’t mind when I asked that we make it required. But make no mistake: this was all my idea :)[/quote]Did you consider the anonymity/security aspect?

Actually, I did. The original modification instructions print out a person’s age on the front of the forums. We agreed that this was a little too much detail. I held back from releasing the hack until I figured out how to remove this.

Concerning security, I believe the information is as secure as other personal aspects of this website. I consider one’s e-mail address even more personal than one’s birthday because of SPAM.

Also, as suggested above, no one said you have to enter your own birthday – although I am banking that most people will not mind using their own.

Won’t let you have an age less than 5 or more than 100, it’s ageism I tell you ! Will you ban Wolf Reinhold in a few months when he’s too old ? How
come Big Fluffy Matthew is allowed on ? He looks like he’s about three.

[quote=“Father Dougal Maguire”]Won’t let you have an age less than 5 or more than 100, it’s ageism I tell you ! Will you ban Wolf Reinhold in a few months when he’s too old ? How
come Big Fluffy Matthew is allowed on ? He looks like he’s about three.[/quote]

Oops. Thank you for checking that out. Well, it shouldn’t be too difficult for us all to use, say, 1993 instead of 2003.

I’m hoping to upgrade the forums in the summer – we’ll see if the birthday features survive then. In the meantime, use this space to tell us how you feel (pro or against)

What the fuck is an “interweb”?

Its typo that should read “intarweb,” as in: “That thar intarweb sho’ is a good tool for a-findin’ boobies.”

Nevermind ‘Interweb’, what about the ‘Isn’t…is’ syntax in: “Isn’t Forumosa is a free country etc etc…”

Must be part of the…er… joke. :laughing:

12 January 1997. Guanxi to who ever gets it.