Best battery for gas hot water unit - results of my little test

Summary: Buy Energizer Max batteries for yourself and the environment, give the rest a miss.

With all the advertised claims on batteries at the supermarket I decided to test and log my own experience with the two major battery brands at Carrefour for use with the external gas hot water units here. My experience is the Energizer Max model is startlingly better than Everready Super Heavy Duty. The Max costs more obviously, but instead of 4 times a year that I am out on the balcony fiddling around trying to replace the battery, my current battery has lasted out the entire year, and in fact is still going.

Everready Super Heavy Duty - lasted from 10 October 21 until 26 January 22, until no more hot water.

Energizer Max - replaced 26 January 22, still going strong as of today 20 February 23.

I have no affiliation with either company.

5 Likes

Is everything OK?

You know they do sell “permanent batteries” (basically a D cell with an AC adapter coming out that plugs into the wall) for water heaters?

Thanks, I didn’t know that, but I only have one outlet out there, and it is taken up by the washing machine. But at a battery replacement frequency of around once a year, I don’t know if I’d be that inclined to bother even if I did.

I do not know that I would trust connecting a water heater to AC (even indirectly), if that water heater did not come with such a cable in the first place.

2 Likes

Thanks,
the most useful post i read this month.

2 Likes

Mostly naked or wrapped in a towel?

I have to be careful. This old woman in the hen cage across from mine seems to be perpetually on the balcony doing washing.

Groping the water heater undercarriage in the rain is a quintessential Taiwan experience.