Best beginner motorcycle

I’m living down in Khaoshiung and I’m interested in getting my first motorcycle next month. I’m 186cm tall and average build. Looking for a bike model that will be comfortable on longer rides as I like to take solo rides and go camping. I’m not interested in sports bikes or anything that’s too loud. Something casual like a cafe cruiser possibly. I think lowriders and cruisers are pretty sweet but I like to sit a little higher. I think a 250 would be ideal.

For budget, I’d like to keep it under a 100K but for the right bike I’d be willing to go over that a little. Any recommendations or insights would be super helpful. Thanks all

You should first consider if you want to go with a yellow plate or white plate. Once you decide which works best for you then you can find the right model.

1 Like

Have you ridden a motorcycle before? if so what licence do you have? you mention a 250 is that so you stay within the white plate limits as mentioned above?

If you have been riding a scooter in Taiwan, the jump to a bike with clutch is relatively easy, depending on your coordination forward planning.
If this is your first bike ever and still getting used to the traffic here, I will offer the same advice I give to anyone learning to ride.

Get a bike you don’t mind dropping. (you can always change it later)

2 Likes

I think a white plate as you mentioned. First time buying a motorcycle. I’ve ridden a ton on rentals and had a PCX250 when I lived in. Bangkok for a year.

1 Like

If I was in your position I would look for a slightly older SYM wolf 150 / KTR 150 or something similar, (around 30k or less) spend a bit more styling it to your tastes get bags/ racks on it go out and enjoy it, you will still have 50k in your pocket to pick up a Yamaha FZS150 later.

If your thinking 150 is not quite powerful enough ask @TT how he gets feels about his, and his camping gear.

Another thing to think about with the bikes I mentioned above, is that they can get knocked around and almost every grease monkey with a spanner can fix it. You can get a lot of aftermarket parts so if you do ending up braking something it’s easy to get a replacement or even mod it to something you like.

1 Like

Awesome, I’ve since been checking out the KTR 150, lots of accessories and aftermarket parts out there. I think that may be a good place to start.

That Yamaha FZS150 looks pretty sweet too. I’ll hop into a shop next week and start peeking around at whats available.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

1 Like

Yeah, this or a Wolf you can get cheap. My Wolf was under 50000NT, used by one owner, 24000km. Now it has almost 60000km, ny mechanic gets parts fast and cheap when needed. Only 150cc, but thats enough for me. Solo camping no problem, but camping with another person on the back and the extra food/gear is not enough

See if you can find an SB250. They’re rare, but you get the extra power without giving anything up

Possiblebon your budget, if used, I think. Not sure you can get one new under 100k

Also, if this is your first bike a cheap one has the advantage that if you drop it there’s no worries. My Wolf here has hit the ground 5 times, but she can take it and I’m not fussed if it ever does get damaged…

2 Likes

The Wolf is pretty reliable and cheap, and I imagine most SYM shops would be able to service it. I’ve learned the hard way that only “heavy motorcycle shops” would want to touch my Yamaha YZF-R15. The seat comfort is OK’ish, but it’s still a wannabe sports bike that prompts you to lean pretty far forward.

Also, in narrow spots, a center upright stand is your best friend, which a Wolf does have… Since mine only has the left side kickstand, I’ve spent more time either looking for a wider spot or awkwardly trying to fit my bike into a narrow spot when I’m in a hurry than I’d like to.

Yeah, the stand is handy. I use it more for oiling my chain than tight parking, but sometimes for parking. It’s also occasionally a reminder that I’m leaning too hard in the corners :sweat_smile:

I just take mine to a scooter shop across the street, they’ve been around Taiwan sonlong probably anyone can fix them. Also handy that he can order spare parts delivered in a few hours (I got a new horn and rear suspension last week, OEM)

1 Like

One thing that doesn’t seem to be covered - bigger bikes are, well, bigger!

For handling and safety, you want a bike that you can pick up from the ground, (or manage the weight all the way down to the ground). Have somebody spot you while you sit on it and try laying it over gently. If you feel like “oh shit, this is too heavy” at the halfway point then it is too heavy.

You also want to able to have both feet flat on the ground when you sit on it.

Ironically, the one across the street from me IS a Yamaha shop LMAO; it was already a red flag when I discovered the bleed valve for the front brake is 11mm and they don’t even have that socket. Huh, I have at least 4-5 back home that came with each wrench kit, but anyway… 3 weeks later, my bike won’t start and they won’t even go to the section of the shop where I parked; I’ve had to walk mine in neutral for 1.2km and bruise the hell out of my knee on the crash peg, or had a friend ride his bike and hold his foot on the rear passenger footpeg and push it over :rofl:

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, how much are these, round about? I see them a lot. I think it looks cool.

List price for the 2024 ABS model is 136k new

Thanks. Sounds about reasonable. Maybe as a fun bike and not a daily ride its an option. I will keep an eye on it

I got a used 2020, ABS, regular fork, with 23K kms 2 months ago for $53K… Inverted forks are slightly more.

Sounds like a good deal.
Long time ago I had an Aprilia 125 RS. Sometimes I miss it. But actually, it also was a pain in the arse. Always needed to fix something and the feeling of paranoia while riding it. Needed to feel a difference between normal and unusual vibration. From what I read 2-stroke is a no no in TW. But they are fun.

Given current emissions laws, I don’t even think you can get anything carbureted anymore, much less 2-stroke. Even the bike I have just recently had an issue with the coolant sensor, and sometimes it’s nearly impossible to start after the weekend despite having a new battery and spark plug.

Starting problems after weekend could be due to cold weather recently. Just a guess. Also the fluids take longer to warm up.

But also like you said a sensor could fail. That’s the issue with having lots of electrical stuff and sensors. Basically need a computer and read the ECU to find these kinds of problems.

2 Likes

This, well at least to get you working in the right area.

This could be messing up your mix making it more difficult start , especially if the engine is cold as it’s been idle for a few day. Sometimes the ECU will go into open loop/default mode if it thinks the sensor is playing up, even if it’s been replaced. Could also just be a fault on the wiring / connectors throwing the reading out.

How’s the engine running on idle?

Another thing to think about is the fuel pump may playing up, being lazy after its been standing a couple of days, next time you go to start it and its been standing for a while turn the key and listen for the pump to prime the motor, then turn it off and repeat so its affectively been primmed twice, then start the engine without giving any extra throttle, if it catches then you can rev a bit to warm it up.

If it is the fuel pump there will be other noticeable things while riding as the fuel pressure wont be constant, like slight power fluctuations without moving the throttle or popping from the exhaust.

Disclaimer:
These could also be indications of other problems or just be part of the character of the bike.

I think for the OP, the takeaway is that the Wolf is more reliable and better for a beginner

1 Like