Best burger in Taichung?

I went to Chiminka. Their burger was pretty good, but the sauce was a bit sweet for me. Not knowing too much about their menu, I ordered a double. That thing was HUGE! I’d hate to have to down a quadruple–which they do offer, by the way. Unfortunately, not only was it a lot of food to eat with the fries, it was also an engineering nightmare. All the filling squished out the back, and I was mainly eating bun and lettuce for the first little bit, and I was left with mostly meat at the end.

The place also doesn’t have indoor seating, just a few chairs outside. Still, a decent burger. Second best I’ve had in Taichung. I say give it a try.

Here’s what my double BBQ burger at Chimika looked like: foodjing.com/site/dishpic/582

There’s a new burger place in Taichung called the Chicken Coop. They opened last week. Set meals (soup, bread, burger, hand made, fresh french fries, drink, desert) are 250-350 NT. Beer is 50% off right now. They have real German beer and a decent sized bottle is around 150 NT – not a bad deal considering most places charge nearly 300 NT for one. The burgers are good. The boss told me their chicken burger is the best (thus the name). I haven’t tried it yet but will next time. Here’s the info: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-Coop%E7%BE%8E%E5%BC%8F%E9%A2%A8%E5%91%B3%E9%A4%90%E5%BB%B3%E5%8F%B0%E4%B8%AD%E5%B8%82%E5%8C%97%E5%8D%80%E6%B0%B8%E8%88%88%E8%A1%97358%E8%99%9F/344828468934526
For a burger with a set meal, this is my favorite place.

I also tried this new place and it was excellent. I had salad (which came with a nice cheese dressing) and the BBQ chicken burger, which was really huge and tasty, and came with great home-made wedges. Girlfriend + her friend both had soup and then pasta, which were full of flavor (friend doesn’t normally like Western food but loved this). Pasta came with sour un-risen olive bread and sour cream dip; there was so much food we ended up getting take out.

Even the set drinks were good; i ordered grapefruit juice, which ended up being fresh grapefruit layered with tonic water in a tall cocktail glass. Heaven compared to the cheap rubbish that normally comes with set meals in this country! I will be back soon, to try their blue-cheese beef burger.

[quote=“SlowRain”]I went to Chiminka. Their burger was pretty good, but the sauce was a bit sweet for me. Not knowing too much about their menu, I ordered a double. That thing was HUGE! I’d hate to have to down a quadruple–which they do offer, by the way. Unfortunately, not only was it a lot of food to eat with the fries, it was also an engineering nightmare. All the filling squished out the back, and I was mainly eating bun and lettuce for the first little bit, and I was left with mostly meat at the end.

The place also doesn’t have indoor seating, just a few chairs outside. Still, a decent burger. Second best I’ve had in Taichung. I say give it a try.[/quote]

Well, yes, the menu is only in Chinese (used to be more complicated, recently he cut it down like by 60%!). I guess the sauce depends on the style you choose, but in this way I am always randomly choosing :slight_smile: It is huge and quite dirty to eat (need lots of tissues) but I must say that is a case with all burgers in Taiwan, and this one actually I can usually manage to bite through all essential layers after first few bites.

Well, taste in subjective, but I glad you totally didn’t hate it :smiley: It does taste much better than you would say by the looks of the place, right :smiley:?

I’d definitely consider going back, but I’d make it on a day when I’m prepared to just eat sitting on my motorcycle and then go. Hot summer days and cool, windy winter days would be out for me. There really isn’t much seating if they’re busy, and it’s all outdoors.

I think it’s tasty and a good value for what you get. I enjoyed Chimika better than I did Burger Joint or Say Cheese, but I still like Finga’s better.

Yeah – it seems like they are really trying to provide something good. I hope they can (and will) keep it up.

If you can head south, I’d totally recommend Flamingo’s in Changhua. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Lane+31,+B%C3%B3%27%C3%A0i+St,+Zhanghua+City,+Changhua+County,+Taiwan+500&daddr=%E5%8D%9A%E6%84%9B%E8%A1%97&hl=en&geocode=FXNXbwEdvGMvBym9TvHojThpNDFPUPItntrUzA%3BFXZXbwEdWGAvBw&sll=24.074105,120.545366&sspn=0.000904,0.001725&vpsrc=0&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=19&ie=UTF8&ll=24.074402,120.545369&spn=0.000894,0.001725&t=m&z=19&iwloc=A&q=%E5%8D%9A%E6%84%9B%E8%A1%97

He’s closed Sundays, but open Mon-Sat in evening (I’ve popped in at 7:00 before). If you go, it will look closed, the sign on the door will say closed, but just go on in. Sunny will probably be sitting at his computer or playing pool and ignore you until you say hi to him (don’t expect 5 star service, but he’ll get you anything when you ask). Burgers, Quesadillas, Burritos, and an awesome Philly Cheese Steak Sub. Ask for the burger with an egg if you want the burger.

He HAS been out of stuff before, but it’s a rarity. I do not remember him ever being out of burgers, but the Philly Cheese Steak is hit or miss. Either way, his other food is good. If you go after 11, he might not be up for cooking anything any more.

Probably the best burger I’ve had in Taiwan.

Hmmm Flamingo’s… interesting, so far I did not regard Changhua as good place for food (I do work in Lugang, so I pass Changhua everyday on the way). Do you know their Chinese name? cannot find anything about it~

You probably won’t find anything about it. It’s just a small place that he doesn’t advertise. It used to be huge and popular years ago, but it’s sort of turned into a small place. That seems to be how he likes it. To us. It just looks like a place he still runs to keep his friends coming over to play pool with him.

If you go on facebook and look on the Changhua English Teacher’s board, there is a good list of places. I’d recommend Flamingo’s, Casa Minerva, and China City as my 3 favorite places. China City has inexpensive beer and awesome kung Pao Chicken and Kung Pao Shrimp. Casa Minerva is a nice European style cafe with great sandwiches and Belgian Beer.

Gladly explain how to get to any of them if you are interested. Just tell me some landmarks you know.

You probably won’t find anything about it. It’s just a small place that he doesn’t advertise. It used to be huge and popular years ago, but it’s sort of turned into a small place. That seems to be how he likes it. To us. It just looks like a place he still runs to keep his friends coming over to play pool with him.

If you go on facebook and look on the Zhanghua English Teacher’s board, there is a good list of places. I’d recommend Flamingo’s, Casa Minerva, and China City as my 3 favorite places. China City has inexpensive beer and awesome kung Pao Chicken and Kung Pao Shrimp. Casa Minerva is a nice European style cafe with great sandwiches and Belgian Beer.

Gladly explain how to get to any of them if you are interested. Just tell me some landmarks you know.[/quote]

To find that facebook group, you’ll have to look up how to spell “Changhua.” Forumosa won’t let me spell it on here.

Thanks, I’ll see~
I am passing Changhua everyday, but barely stopping anywhere outside the train station, as I just want to get back to my beloved Taichung ;] But might be worth a trip on some weekend~

The traffic is really bad on weekends going into and out of Zhanghua. So weekday may be best.

well, I go by train first and I have my “business” scooter in Changhua station so the traffic is not a problem :slight_smile: but thx!

That would be the best way to do it alright. Business scooter lol.

Near the train station: Turn left out of the train station on San Min Rd.
There’s a light right next to the train station by the entrance to the train station. After that, there’s another light at a 5 way intersection.
Right before you get to the next light (Min Sheng Rd.), there is a small place on the left next to a shoe store and 2 places down from a furniture store. It looks like a small house with a balcony outside. It’s at 135 San Min Rd.
No burgers, but fantastic sandwiches, salads, coffee, tea, beer…

Closed every other Sunday. Open around 12:00 until 8ish.

Had a burger at Bon Jour Brunch yesterday. Not bad - nice atmosphere too.

foodjing.com/site/en/restaurant/ … r%20Brunch

If you are in Dali, Wufeng or Caotun. I strongly recommend a restaurant located in Wufeng–Deli Seventeen. (htttp://www.facebook.com/DeliSeventeen) They provide burgers, pasta, omelet. The food is cheap, the quality is good!

Has anybody driven by the area near Burger Joint / 7fenso (Huamei / Canal street) recently? There seem to be 2 or 3 new burger places in that area - Happy Burger, Joy Burger - I forget the names, but there seem to be 3 or 4 in total, plus Oldies hot dogs.

Maybe they are trying to turn it into a western strip with Frogs up the street as well.

I had a cheeseburger at NY Bagels last week, pretty damn good, shame they use the American processed cheese and no choice for better stuff.