Best car while living in Taipei?

ah cool…but like up to what mod the dealer will void your warranty in Taiwan? eventually I probably will put a bigger turbo in it…

ya it’s me in nasioc…what’s your nick there?

I don’t really know what the policy is, and it’s likely to be different from one area to another. My experience with them, and that of my friends, is that they will not deny warranty for things that are unrelated to your mods. We’ve both read all the horror stories from the US where some STi owners can’t get their clunking struts replaced because of a tbe, or can’t get a new steering rack on warranty because they have a header… silly bs like that. I would expect that if you grenade a motor from det and you have a turbo upgrade, you’ll be out of luck. Same if you break the tranny. I don’t expect them to deny you a fix for a leaky window for having power mods.

IIWY I’d look at the APS staged kits. They are pricey but everything works together as a package and they don’t blow up. The basic engine is identical to the USDM STi unit, it’s just the turbo, injectors and mapping that are different. I think a lot of people are just upgrading those, and there are plenty of used parts on the market. TBH, I’d do handling mods before worrying about power. That new 2.5 motor already has sooo much torque it’s ridiculous. All the nuskool WRXs have soggy suspension though, and I’d fix that before anything else.

I’m also redwagon over on nabisco. Nice DSM btw.

Hi all

Strikes me that one of these would be pretty practical basic transport for Taiwan. No, SERIOUSLY. Easy to park, free parts under every third roadside hording, mechanically simple, chuck your bike/scooter/crap in the back, use it as a camper,

There are of course downsides, (no front-end protection, uncomfortable) but Taiwan is small and crowded, and my personal appearance, charm and financial standing make the negative-status/chick-repellent aspect that is so important for most folks simply pale into insignificance.

Anyone know a good place to get an oldish one? Likely to be any problems registering as non-commercial? Would it matter if it were registered as commercial?

Pity I’m 6’ 2" though.

Regrds, Ed Lithgow

Perhaps because I replied to this thread rather than posting a new one, I seem to have lost the title to my last post, without which it makes (even) less sense. . It was:-

“If you can’t BEAT the Little Blue Trucks”

I can’t get very excited about cars. If I bought one here, I’d just go for a boring, reliable Japanese saloon with automatic transmission.

One of few cars I think could actually be fun to drive here would be a Mini. Of course a Cooper would be great. Very expensive though. I think the regular BMW Mini would be nice as well but I don’t think they’re sold here.

Just two problems with a Mini. Despite ABS and airbags, I’m still not sure whether they’re really as safe as a standard-sized saloon which just has more space and metal in front of and behind the occupants. And as the “height inflation” continues with all the unecessary SUVs, a Mini is at somewhat of a disadvantage.

If you can access the credit, I’d say a new car (but keep it parked sensibly!!!). They offer great deals for new cars in the sense of follow up service. As to which brand, just go around and check 'em out.

HG

hey for new car does the dealer pay for the license and fuel tax or you pay it yourself?

IS 250… Well, since I started this thread 10 months ago and just bought a car here after moving to Taipei…

One day before Chinese New Year, I bought the LEXUS IS 250 and I love it. Very quick, small enough to navigate the small streets in Taipei, sporty but still have 4 seats when I need them, great sound system, plug for my IPOD is great…

I want to get my windows tinted…dealer doesn’t do that eh? where can I go can someone name some window tinting stores in Kaohsiung?

I bought a new 2006 Mark 5 Golf TDI and the dealer paid for the fuel tax, licence tax and they tinted the windows with proper 3M tint… but only because I rocked the boat in a big way at VW over delivery time…

I’ll get around to posting more info about it once I’ve run it in and done some driving in earnest, but innitial impression is that it is a fantastic car… [/irrelevant info]

[quote=“plasmatron”]I bought a new 2006 Mark 5 Golf TDI and the dealer paid for the fuel tax, licence tax and they tinted the windows with proper 3M tint… but only because I rocked the boat in a big way at VW over delivery time…

I’ll get around to posting more info about it once I’ve run it in and done some driving in earnest, but innitial impression is that it is a fantastic car… [/irrelevant info][/quote]

Rock the boat? What happened and which TDI engine did you get?

did you talk down the price at all

I was going to wait until I

Sounds great Plasmatron! I can’t believe that diesel is only NT$ 7! That is just such a suprise. Sounds like a great buy.

:blush: oops… I meant NT$7 cheaper tha… hey… come on! fair’s fair… I did say that…

[quote=“plasmatron”]…since Diesel is NT$7 per liter (NT$350 per tank) cheaper than petrol

Plasmatron, next time I buy a new car I’m gonna hit you up for negotiating lessons. :notworthy: Car sounds great btw… love turbo diesels. Remember to give Skylarkpuma a test drive and convert him as well. :wink:

Yo check out http://www.tdiclub.com The best TDI message board. They will be jealous. Beware!

[quote=“plasmatron”]"but it

oh yeah plasmatron how much do you pay for your insurance a year? You got full coverage right?

how about others how much do you pay for insurance a year (full coverage)…I need to get my insurance ready before getting my car…

[quote=“ironfist”][quote=“plasmatron”]"but it