Best Cat food to buy

Does anyone know the best cat to buy in Taiwan and where?

The most nutritious, natural and healthy of course.

I do feed raw meat, but it isn’t a daily option.

Cheers

Please don’t buy cats. There are stray cats available who need good homes.

Please don’t buy cats. There are stray cats available who need good homes.[/quote]
I think he/she meant cat food, DB. :wink:

The catfood stores in Taipei have a HUGE selection of wet and dry foods available. Much more so then in the USA . Go and check it out.

Our cats like the Hill’s Science Diet hairball control pellets the best… FWIW

I agree with Teggs. :thumbsup:

Kibble: Orijen or ProPure

This is a subject I’ve gotten a little obsessed with in the past. I’m still trying out wet foods, because most of the imported ones are crap (Friskies and Whiskas, bleh), and there are a lot of Japanese brands out there that have labels I can’t read. Catsin makes a brand called Catsin Gold or Catuna that’s nothing but tuna, DHA and Vit. E, and an extra ingredient (salmon or shrimp or those tiny white fish or whatever) that my cat loves, but I wouldn’t give it to her as her main food (Cats need taurine or they’ll go blind; meat that’s not the very freshest raw meat has little taurine [taurine in meats also degrades soon after butchering. Cats in the wild make their own kills and aren’t scavengers!]).

For dry food, I’ve been feeding a brand called Holistic Natural Solution, which has a decent bit of real meat, no corn or soy, and a good amount of supplements. It;s the best I’ve been able to find here for the price, about NT605 for a 3kg bag, which is the same as Science Diet. Science Diet is awful (unless you really need a specific prescription diet, like kidney maintenance or whatever)! Look at the ingredients—no meat, second ingredient is corn. It’s basically cat Fritos.

If I could afford Orijen, I’d switch to it in a heartbeat, because it’s all meat, plus essential minerals, nutrients, and fiber (the kind of stuff cats would get by eating the stomachs of their prey). It’s awesome, but expensive, like NT650 for 1.2 kg, eek. They do need less of it, though, so that’s a plus.

If you feed raw, feed organ meats in addition to regular cuts. Organ meats naturally contain more minerals and taurine. Veg is good to add on occasion, because although cats are obligate carnivores, they do eat they stomachs of their prey which generally contains some plant content.

In short, read labels, look for things that have meat in the first five ingredients (but no by-products!), and stay away from things that contain corn, soy, or an excessive amount or rice. Everything I know comes from talking to vets that haven’t been bought out by Hills (people really think Science Diet is a good food because of this), this thread on another forum here: forums.somethingawful.com/showth … id=2113296 , and my cat’s awesome coat, great vitality, and non-runny, non-stinky poop.

And get a cat fountain. It’s hot now.

[quote=“meagunn”](Cats need taurine or they’ll go blind; meat that’s not the very freshest raw meat has little taurine [taurine in meats also degrades soon after butchering. Cats in the wild make their own kills and aren’t scavengers!]).

And get a cat fountain. It’s hot now.[/quote]
Guess here few people can beat your knowledge in cats. But I would suggest the best cat food - ‘fresh straw’ for your cat. Most of cats love that. Some I had even get crazy about fresh straw; they eat with gulps, like some other cats would steal it away. They kind of need it for dealing with the hairballs and bad germs in the intestines. Feed them once a week or so, with 5~7 leaves a time. You need to pick the kind of straw with slim leaves of about 10cm long, and 30~40cm in height. It’s very common in any park in Taiwan, and usually has wheat-like tiny grains on top. Pick the tender leaves with a shoot part. Wash it before feeding. Not too much, or they puke it back out.

It’s like the fruit for cats. Good to eat. And it’s totally FREE.

It’s funny cats (even dogs) always like drinking at running water. :laughing: