Best cheap booze

You can’t be serious. Zima is cat urine.[/quote]

With a nose of ammonia, tasting notes of uric acid , and a finish reminiscent of a syrupy Pinesol reduction. Mmmmmm… makes pappy’s white lightening sound pretty good, nevermind the blindness. :smiley:

Yeah, I should have added a smiley after the Zima endorsement.

How’s about Suntori’s wannabe scotches?

I like Taiwan Beer a lot. 156NT for a six pack where I buy it. It beats any of the distilled water that passes as beer in the US.

[quote=“Elegua”][quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Elegua”]

Then you’ve not had a good bourbon I’d say. [/quote]
I loved Old Granddad. Always found Jim Beam and Jack Daniels too harsh tasting.[/quote]

Oh, yes. That’s a decent one. Price was right if I recall too…if I could recall.[/quote]
If you just want “alcohol”, most local grociery stores, Wellcome, etc have basic vodka and rum at about 200 NT for a 700 ml bottle.
The vodka sucks but works. After the first drink, you don’t give a sh.t anyway. Not bad.
Damn cheap, easily available. Wonder why my eyesight is going downhill. Might have something to do with brewing this shit in car radiators. But, still cheap and easily available.
Just go buy a name brand at TTL outlet. Better chance of maintaining sanity and eyesite.
Actually, the rum is not that bad. Better for cooking but . . . . works fairly good if you like to mix.

The very poor people in South Africa’s townships make a really nice concoction called “skokkejan” Translated: “Shocking John”.
Twenty gallon drum. Car battery and a sheep’s head in the bottom. Add water. potato peels, second hand corn cobs, animal offal and bones.

That shit rocks. Gives you a real buzz. :banana:

It may not be the cheapest but when I come across glengrant for $500 I tend to pick up a few bottles.

[quote=“jimipresley”]The very poor people in South Africa’s townships make a really nice concoction called “skokkejan” Translated: “Shocking John”.
Twenty gallon drum. Car battery and a sheep’s head in the bottom. Add water. potato peels, second hand corn cobs, animal offal and bones.

That shit rocks. Gives you a real buzz. :banana:[/quote]

Question, what’s the car battery for? :eh:
Besides, if they’re that poor, how can they afford a car battery?
Also, wouldn’t they be better off eating the sheep’s head and offal?

If you like red wine, Costco had 5 liter boxes of a very respectable Australian cabernet merlot for 1054 NT. The wine quality is basically equal to 400 NT a bottle wine, and each box contains 6. 67 bottles worth, so it’s a very good deal.

Battery makes it fizzy and apparently makes the alcohol thing work better.
Batteries are easy to find. Just remove one from a parked car.
Why would one want a brief respite from starvation by eating a sheep’s head when you can stay comatose for a week instead?

I met a guy that collects bottles hanging outside the 7-11 on Jinshan and Heping one night. He had stopped to refill his drink holder and we played some games together. After chatting for a while I noticed he was drinking rice wine mixed with green tea. I tried it and it wasn’t very good at all, but I think it definitely fits into the cheap category.

The Irish Whiskey (Ken Lough?) from Carrefour. It’s no Bushmills, but a nip or two’ll warm you in the winter. :thumbsup:

On a chilly day try this: take a lowball and fill one or two cm of Gaoliang topped with five cm very hot water. Warms you right up.

I think Suntory whisky is a good deal and is good quality for the low price. Of course Gold Label Taiwan beer, preferably bottled of course.

I’m a bourbon fan but think Jim Beam is best in mixed drinks.