Best cheap booze

Quality, volume and price all factor in.

My vote goes for Jim Beam, available at Carrefour for half the price of a bottle of Scotch and, in my mind, eminently drinkable. I forget the exact price, but it’s good enough that it’s my regular choice – best buzz for the buck – and I’m about ready for a second refill. :beer:

Where’s the Chief when we need him?

I like Taiwan beer.

I’m really not a fan of bourbon. And I only buy alcohol in large bottles. Famous Grouse is going for 360$ per bottle at Wellcome at the moment. Down from 700$ odd. Not a bad little Scotch. Taiwan beer is nasty.

Grouse. No question. Although if you’re able to stomach Jim Beam, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t go all the way cheap and just drink paint thinner.

And if you can stomach the paint thinner, you might as well go all the way and THEN some . . . Dumond Chemicals puts out a lovely paint stripper that can remove 32 layers of old crusted paint in a single application. It’s very reasonable when you buy it by the 55-gallon drum.

I don’t disrespect bourbon. I just think it tastes like shite. When I was a rock god I used to drink it on stage to look as cool as Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin and Keith Moon. I also drank it for longevity.

That’s ok, I hold no grudge against you guys. I know that good taste can’t be taught. Plus it’s cheaper than Grouse. :slight_smile:

RT-Mart and others have the VERY large bottles of various alcohol. I think it must be about 3,500 ml. Dewars is about 2,300 NT for a huge bottle. Includes a large swivel container to set on a table but beware, the bottle can fall out of the holder if not cautious. So 5 bottles of 700 ml seems pretty cheap and they usually have several brands.
Last I recall doing the numbers of 700 ml, it’s almost 1/2 price at RT.

There’s nothing wrong with Jimmy Beam. Kentucky burbon is some of the best! In fact, here in AR, plenty of people ween their kids from the teat directly to the whiskey bottle! (Unfortunatly, that actually does happen. Parents–NOT ME–put it in bottles to make their kids sleep.)

It is a good burbon, though, if not the best.

I can remember the first time I tried a scotch and thought, “What the hell is wrong with this whiskey?” Eventually, I came appriciate them both (when I was in Korea and couldn’t get any burbon), though I’ve almost never drank anything at all since I’ve been a mommy. But ever once in a good while, I’m still partial to this home grown stuff.

(BTW, IMO, the BEST whiskey is a RYE whiskey. The Canadians actually so some things quite well.)

EDIT: Double post. It din’t hit the forum quickly.

That kaoliang 80% proof shit has some cheap kicks.

Then you’ve not had a good bourbon I’d say. Jim Beam was great in college. One 1.75l split between 3 friends with some other accoutrements made quite an evening.

Blanton’s Bourbon is easily as good as a scotch. http://www.blantonsbourbon.com/DefaultFlash.aspx Makers Mark is the old standard and a must have for any bar IMO.

Housecat, that’s cause when we’uns were growing up in AR we had only our uncle’s (slash brother slash daddy :laughing: ) moonshine and rotgut whiskey to compare the Jim Beam to. :slight_smile:

Oddly, I went from single malts to bourbon, rather than the other way around. Nowadays, if it’s a scotch, it had better be a super peat or I’d just as soon drink a mid-range bourbon (Maker’s Mark, Bulleit, Knob Creek).

Oh, Zima is awesome too!

sorry, too drunl to post

You can’t be serious. Zima is cat urine.

[quote=“Elegua”]

Then you’ve not had a good bourbon I’d say. [/quote]
I loved Old Granddad. Always found Jim Beam and Jack Daniels too harsh tasting.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Elegua”]

Then you’ve not had a good bourbon I’d say. [/quote]
I loved Old Granddad. Always found Jim Beam and Jack Daniels too harsh tasting.[/quote]

Oh, yes. That’s a decent one. Price was right if I recall too…if I could recall.

Local cooking wine? :smiley:
Or what about the local vodka or rum, NT$200-ish a bottle, although I’ve only seen that crap sold in Geant/A-mart.
Carrefour also seem to carry a range of NT$200-ish bottles of own brand Irish and French whiskey…
Kaoliang is foul, the smell is rancid and the taste is equally bad… only booze that nearly made me throw up as soon as it hit the back of my mouth…

Kaoliang, as you correctly point out has a nasty aftertaste. However, by my thinking this is a greatly under appreciated attribute; you know it is time to stop drinking when it goes down smooth. :thumbsup:

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]
Kaoliang is foul, the smell is rancid and the taste is equally bad… only booze that nearly made me throw up as soon as it hit the back of my mouth…[/quote]

Chu Yeh Ching is a bit better, perhaps a bit sweet, but almost equally strong.