Best Course of Action?

Greetings everyone, my name is Paul and I’m a second semester senior in college. I would like to teach English in Taiwan beginning in either July or August of 2012 and was just wondering what would be the best way to go about finding employment (preferably from people who are already teaching in Taiwan).

As a result of my research so far, I have discovered most schools require some form of experience (past teaching or TEFL certified), and because I don’t have any experience teaching at this point, I am planning on enrolling in a TEFL class soon. Would this be a wise thing to do? From what I can gather on here the answers seem a bit mixed. That’s question number one.

Question number two:

I have noticed a lot of people on here saying I should just take my chances and go to Taiwan without having secured a job first. Here’s the potential issue with that (obviously besides not finding a job and having to go home): I have read on this blog that if you do not have either a work visa or return ticket out of Taiwan, they won’t let you out of the airport, or even get on the plane from your original departure location. How can one look for a job “on the ground” when, if you don’t have a work visa or return ticket, one can’t get on the ground to begin with?

These are some questions I have after reading through most of the posts on here. I’m 25, decent looking and American if that makes any difference.

Taiwan looks like a beautiful country and it seems like an amazing experience, I am really hoping it can work out.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far, hope to hear from you guys soon!

[quote=“PaulPal1292”]…I have read on this blog that if you do not have either a work visa or return ticket out of Taiwan, they won’t let you out of the airport, or even get on the plane from your original departure location. How can one look for a job “on the ground” when, if you don’t have a work visa or return ticket, one can’t get on the ground to begin with?
[/quote]

When you first come to Taiwan, whether you have a job lined up or not, you should have a 2-month visitor visa. That allows you the time to look for a job, or assuming you have one, for your company to process your work visa.

You can’t apply for a work visa in your home country even if you have a job lined up here.

Purchase an airline ticket with a return leg that is within the original tourist visa window of time – one that allows changes in travel dates. If you get a job in Taiwan, change your return date.

And if you are serious about teaching, yes, do a TEFL/CELTA. If not, sure you can wing it with good looks, charm, and an American accent, and pick up a job at some buxiban.

You can also get a cheap flight to the phillipines for like 70 USD within that time (one way). Just don’t leave ifya find a job and you’ve wasted less than a hundred bucks.