Best credit card for rewards?

Hi,

That line pay card sounds great. Especially because I will go back home for a couple of months and could use the 2.8% Cashback. Does the Cashback have some limit?

Do you think that i will get it within 3-4 weeks?
Also how did you apply (online does not work for foreigners :frowning: ) and what info do i need to apply?

Many thanks.

Depends on what kind of rewards: miles, cashback, line points?

Need to be specific.

I haven’t noticed a limit on the cash back. I didn’t use the credit card much for purchases in Canada last summer - I never became confident that the exchange rates wouldn’t wind up costing me more money than the points would get me. (I really need to figure out the numbers on that this year.) It was certainly frustrating to be only getting something like 0.5% (or less?) on my credit union credit card in Canada!

I got the card fairly quickly at a CTBC branch - activated it within two weeks of first applying. I wish I could give detailed points on how to apply, but I no longer remember. I believe I brought a folder of anything that could conceivably be useful (passport, APRC, chop, bank book showing my salary, maybe even my contract at work, etc.), and then just produced whatever they asked for. I got it sorted out on my own, without my wife’s help, so it must have been relatively straightforward.

One caution: I work at a university. It’s useful but also obnoxious how much that sometimes makes things easier. “Oh, you’re a professor! OK, let’s get this done!”

Mildly annoying, but not CTBC’s fault: utilities bills are now limited to only one or wo different credit cards in the JKOS app (Yushan, maybe?). So I’m back to paying those out of a direct withdrawal from a bank account, rather than a credit card. Above I wrote I wasn’t able to pay the bill online - I did eventually fill out the paperwork to be able to pay the bill from my post office bank account.

1 Like

thanks for the info.
I saw that my wife besides the shitty exchange rate, also got deducated a “overseas usage fee” for every transaction.
Even for her netflix subscription.
So I guess, the cashback in the end probably just would make it even.

1 Like

70k is good but that’s in no way near the income ceiling.

1 Like

I rack up the most airline points per year buying work stuff through credit cards. Best ones are CTBC China Airlines infinite and HSBC Infinite, where you get 1 airline point every 9-10NT spent overseas. Taiwan has some of the best credit card rewards I’ve seen outside of countries like Dubai and the US.

1 Like

I would consider a 50k month a month I behaved very well…

Work in finance for a HK company

1 Like

The HSBC is very good indeed, I have that.

Ctbc unfortunately keeps giving me shite limits, 20k tops, so unusable. Will just cancel all their cards.

Also the DBS world flyer card is good.

For eva air focused folks, the cathay infinite has amazing rates too and gives discounts when booking eva air flights and also cheap access to lounges via dragon pass

On the card I quoted? That one costs 20k NT per year for 9NT per airline point rate, so if you are only getting 20k monthly limits I’d definitely complain, as it’s a waste of money and doesn’t allow you anywhere close to hitting your max number of monthly airline points allowed (80,000).

They didn’t make my limit high enough to get the maximum airline points each month, so I re-load up my card when needed to hit the max points limit each month.

Nice I will check that one out.

Yep, 50k is probably my minimum daily card spend but it’s almost all work-related.

not this one, I got the china airlines signature card, the lowest tier since I wanted this card only for the 8% discount on flights on CI and that’s it, using other cards for miles (mostly now the HSBC traveller infinite and the Cathay United Eva Air infinite, but soon getting the Amex eva air platinum, will cancel the HSBC and downgrade the cathay to the supreme signature)

I tried even to ask CTBC to increase my limit on the JCB line pay card, but they refused after 2 days… useless bank to me

1 Like

I’ve got the Amex plat - but why cancel HSBC infinite? The reward points are so much better (10nt per point overseas, 18nt domestic) compared to amex plat.

1 Like

fees man, the amex plat is already 36.8k p.a. (while I know I can get out of it more value than that and actually save money, it’s hefty), the HSBC infinite is 8k p.a.

With the eva air platinum card you are basically an eva air gold member with also access to other lounges, and would use the cathay eva air card to book eva air tickets which still give 1 mile per 10nt (And 5% discount). 25nt per mile is decent, ~15nt per mile abroad. HSBC besides the miles gives no benefit.

Reconfiguring my miles strategy greatly, I do believe I will get less miles overall, but will save moneys elsewhere (like discounted dining or lodging and free lounges anywhere basically) while getting bigger perks.

1 Like

Yeah true that does make sense. My amex plat isn’t the EVA air version, do you know if there is a cap on the number of points you can get for overseas spending with the EVA one? Mine is limited to 50,000 points per year at 15nt per mile.

Also are you only able to use the points with EVA air, or can you use them with hotels and other airlines?

I don’t see any upper limit in the T&Cs, it just says that for overseas spending you get 50% bonus miles.

The card is exclusively for Eva Mileage Lands programme, so you can still get reward tickets on other Star alliance airlines (via a network reward) but the points get directly converted to BR miles and deposited into the BR miles account.

It is ok to me since BR is the only airline with direct flights to Milan from TPE (my home) and basically anywhere I want to go I rather take a Star alliance flight than others (so far they have been the most consistent in my experience, besides the sloppy quality LH went down too and UA being… UA)

1 Like

Yeah that’s ideal for you. I’m from UK which only has direct flights with China Airlines, hence going with CTBC card where possible, plus it gives me gold member airline status too.

Eva has a “direct” flight to London, just stopping for refuelling in BKK, I took it during Easter, it was actually pleasant, just the departure time very early, but nice to stretch your legs for 1 hr in BKK (and enjoy the very nice BR lounge there)

Ohhh - I knew there was a flight via BKK, but I assumed you had to go through the rigmarole of connecting flights and getting on 2 different planes. So you just get back onto the same plane after it’s refueled? That’s better. Are you allowed to stay on the plane while it’s refuelling?

1 Like

Yes, u land, u deboard, and just go through security for transfer/connecting flights (there is hardly anyone at those times, 5 mins tops) then either straight to the very same gate or to the lounge to chill a bit.

1 Like