Best Gym in Taipei

What’s the best gym in Taipei or at least a few good ones with newer equipment and lots of free weights? Lots of pretty women working out would be a benefit too…

Depends where you live and what you’re looking for, in my opinion.

For me, Being Sport is the best, hands down, because it’s 4 blocks from my house, so I can ride the bike over and not worry about parking, taxi fare or time wasted in transit. The greatest weakness is that it doesn’t open till 6 am so I can only get a short workout before work, but time’s short, so it’s good enough. Don’t know about the pretty women – not many of them go for those early morning workouts.

I used to go to Alexander, which had lots of good equipment, a nice pool with lots of sunlight, fairly clean and decent locker rooms (at Warner Village, not at their Civic Blvd hole in the wall), but it gets pretty crowded. And, as I said, for me location is the number 1 factor and there’s no Alexander in my neighborhood).

I also used to go to Gold’s Gym, next to the Ta-an MRT line, and it was decent, but I no longer live in that area.

If you want gay sex in the shower or in the sauna, it sounds like California Gym is the overwhelming winner judging from the comments on this forum.

So, I think you need to specify your location and your interests – swimming, free weights, machines, women, gay sex, etc.

I will be in Taipei for a few days on a stopover to Bangkok. I wanted to work out a few times while I was there. I’ve never been to Taipei before so i am not familiar with the various different districts or regions within the city so I could not have provided you with any more info than a generalized response like TAIPEI as the city. As for other interests, my original post stated lots of newer equipment with lots of free weights. I also mentioned pretty women so never mentioned anything about gay or gay sex. I appreciate your feedback. Not sure if you were trying to be cheeky though.

No offense intended. I didn’t mean to suggest you were gay, or not. I have no idea. I’ve never met you. Just pointing out that California Gym is notorious for gay cruising in the showers and saunas, as pointed out in this thread and many others.
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … a&&start=0

Incidentally, here’s a thread on best gyms. There have been various other similar discussions.
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=35616

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]No offense intended. I didn’t mean to suggest you were gay, or not. I have no idea. I’ve never met you. Just pointing out that California Gym is notorious for gay cruising in the showers and saunas, as pointed out in this thread and many others.

Incidentally, here’s a thread on best gyms. There have been various other similar discussions.
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=35616[/quote]no worries. No offense taken. Like I said, I thought you were trying to be cheeky or a smartass but it looks like you weren’t so no big deal. Thanks for the info.

[quote=“mariner2004”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]No offense intended. I didn’t mean to suggest you were gay, or not. I have no idea. I’ve never met you. Just pointing out that California Gym is notorious for gay cruising in the showers and saunas, as pointed out in this thread and many others.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=35616[/quote]no worries. No offense taken. Like I said, I thought you were trying to be cheeky or a smartass but it looks like you weren’t so no big deal. Thanks for the info.[/quote]

I got suckered into the lights and glamour when I had first arrived in Taiwan and trust me, if you aren’t the type to negociate, they’ll try and fleece you. I was in a hurry when I signed up for California fitness the first month I arrived and they took me for 28,000ntd for the year. Fook that. The following year it was lowered to 12,000ntd. If you’re the type to mingle with self proclaimed superstars of the nightclub scene and television then you’d want to go there. Alexander…same deal.

I’d have to say that Gold’s gym is one of the better gyms to just go and workout without being bothered too much. Good bunch of folks over there but they’ll also try to skin you if you aren’t careful. Patience…tell them you’re shopping and if you can pull a few names out of your ass. Quanxi and knowing the ropes helps tremendously.

There’s a few ‘iron’ gyms around but for the life of me, I can’t remember their name or which damned street they’re on. Some of my buddies swear by these places for cheap rates and an atmosphere that won’t distract you from your goals. Heavy weights and broken mirrors is the way I like it.

Just remember that gym sales is like buyin a car…the salesmen see a sucker or a fish outta water quickfast.