Best international hotels in Taiwan by category?

Most locations

Marriott - Premium brands include W, Marriott, Sheraton, Westin, Renaissance, Courtyard, Méridien. Affordable brands include Four Points, Aloft, Fairfield, Moxy. Luxury tier brands like Ritz, Regis, JW haven’t yet arrived in Taiwan, we only have W. Has hotels even in eastern Taiwan in pretty much every city. ~3k TWD / night for the cheapest option (Moxy, Taichung). Many locations in other places like China, HK, Singapore, and rest of Asia - you can count on finding a Marriott brand in almost every city.

Most affordable options

IHG - They’re known for their extra affordable options (Holiday inn express) as well as luxury brands such as Intercontinental and Indigo. They seem to dominate some southern Taiwan cities so perhaps they have plans to expand more in Taiwan. For example Chiayi has Indigo (luxury), VOCO (upcoming luxury), Holiday Inn (affordable), and no other international hotel brands I’m aware of. Holiday inn express is clean and affordable, probably the most affordable international branded hotel you can find in Taiwan, and 2nd most locations after Marriott. Good number of locations throughout Taiwan in large cities, but no coverage on eastern Taiwan. ~1200 NTD / night for the cheapest option (Holiday inn express, Taichung).

Customer experience

Hyatt - They’re known as the best hotel for giving upgrades if you have status. You have to really beg for upgrades at the other brands due to their franchise model. Unfortunately very few locations in Taiwan and they’re all quite pricey. ~3k TWD / night for the cheapest option (EPISODE, Hsinchu).

Other mentions

Hilton - Currently only 4 locations in Taiwan. ~4k TWD / night for the cheapest option (Hilton, Taipei).

Accor - Currently only 2 locations in Taiwan. ~4500 TWD / night for the cheapest option (Novotel, Taoyuan). Not sure if you count Ibis in this group, as they generally don’t qualify for nights/status and I don’t see them show up in the Accor app for Taiwan.

4 Likes

U forgot a very decent chain imo, but very Asia (read China) centric: Shangri-la.

so far they have been the most consistent in quality in my opinion. The Grand hyatt in Taipei is quite dated, really needs a renovation, but with the Park Hyatt opening soon next door, I can see it being retired.

it is quite a mixed bag in my experience. Generally speaking they have very good dining options though (sheraton Grand has a very good pizza place here in TPE, the bar at the W is not bad) but rooms and facilities generally less curated and on point than hyatt (at any brand level)

the good options here are consistently very expensive, try to get at any intercontinental in JP and you are broke, the indigos here in TW completely bonkers prices (especially the one in Alishan), I can’t recall any holiday inn I liked (considering the price)

they are consistent and reliable option, never the fanciest, but solid offering. the doubletree brand is very clever, and the ease to get gold status giving you complimentary breakfast out of the US make it a compelling option always.

Maybe you forgot as not yet present in TW, but soon opening: Four Seasons. What to say about them? It’s a dream, they are just good, but dear. Looking forward to seeing the dining options at the FS in Xinyi.

Also Mandarin Oriental, which is always present in programmes like Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts. They are classy, refined. Dining in the Taipei one is very good (especially now at bencotto with the new Italian chef). They are dear as FS, but quality and reliability are paramount. Their loyalty programme is however very weird, fans of MO, they don’t really have tiers or points, but they just give you random perks at different properties. The more you stay, the more they give you, but all a surprise. Bizarre.

1 Like

Yeah not sure why it’s so expensive, maybe lack of competition or difficulty of transporting supplies this far? I don’t see other international hotels in the Alishan / Chiayi area. I stayed at this Indigo before for around 600 USD a night and didn’t think it was worth it. ~3.5k NTD for relatively small dinner buffet. Their location is supposed to get a view of the mountains but it’s obstructed by other buildings and roads, so it lacks a sense of privacy that you’d expect. Can’t leave curtains open and traffic noise. Might be better to do airbnb with an unobstructed view. It was fully booked though so there seems to be plenty of demand.

The only similar Alishan competitor is Alishan Hotel, which is an older local hotel but further up in the mountains and they charge 15k NTD for starter rooms.

1 Like

Based on my limited experience, I’d single out the Holiday Inn Express in K-Town in Yancheng. I’d stay there again in a flash.

Guy

1 Like

You are reminding me why I hate the older hotel properties in Taiwan. :joy:

Guy

Haven’t been back to Taiwan since I left in 2008. But my stepdaughter (who just graduated from med school at UBC) is marrying a Vancouver CBC Taiwan lad. Will be Canadian and Taiwan weddings (spending way too much on airfares this year). Out of curiosity, how much are rooms at the Grand Hotel per night. Been to the restaurant but never stayed there.

I will be back in Taiwan for a week in Jan 2025

I consistently get upgraded with Hilton brand hotels as a diamond member. Not sure how it compares to Hyatt.

I will also add Hilton has the most hotels under their umbrella globally I believe and now partnered with Small Luxury Hotels of The World, previously partnered with Hyatt. The luxury ones like Waldorf Astoria and Conrad’s are nice.

2 Likes

I hope Hilton has more locations in Taiwan. 4 is too few and they’re all located in Taipei, which defeats the purpose if you live here and travel to other parts of Taiwan. There is the Amex Aspire card which gives automatic Diamond status, but not worth getting unless you’re visiting countries with more locations.

I noticed IHG has different price match terms for Taiwan: “The Best Price Guarantee is not applicable to hotels in Mainland China, Macau, Hong Kong and Taiwan.”

For other brands it’s usually better to book directly so you get the most points, and then call in to price match. Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton will all do this in Taiwan as far as I’m aware.

It’s not that expensive. They start at 3k NTD a room. It’s a local hotel.

2 Likes

Generally true, but in Taiwan, the Marriott brands I’ve stayed at (Sheraton, Westin, W, Le Meridien) have been great with upgrades (I’ve stayed at a couple 4 points too, but who’s expecting / caring about an upgrade there?).

1 Like

With their Franchise model I think the experience can vary a lot. I stayed at Renaissance in Shilin Taipei many times and didn’t get upgrades as Gold Elite even when most of their rooms were empty during Pandemic. I was booking using reward nights which only lets you book the basic rooms.

Marriott in Kaohsiung never seems to upgrade me either. I stayed at Westin Resorts in Yilan for week and they said no upgrades were available when I asked (though to be fair they were packed).

Perhaps Gold Elite is not good enough to get upgrades. Or maybe I need to ask for it. Do you ask for upgrades (“Do you have any upgrades available?”) or they give the automatic upgrade? I am working on getting automatic Platinum Elite but need to wait 2 years before applying for the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant.

Any credit card churners here? I am past 5/24 so need to cool off on applying for new credit card sign up bonuses. I just got my IHG premier card so exploring that brand now.

1 Like

I’ve gotten a great upgrade at that Renaissance.

This. I think you might have the wrong idea of gold “upgrades” at Marriot - you get an “enhanced” room if available, which might be something like a higher floor with a (theoretically) better view,.in the same room class. You need to be platinum or higher to get any real upgrades (unless someone is just being nice).

2 Likes

Marriott quite garbage with “upgrades” imo too, unless u r very high up with status, I’m gold elite too via amex platinum.

1 Like

Basic room is 8000

Try searching on Google, for some reason it’s cheaper to book on third party sites

I think the discussion here is confusing the Grand Hotel in Yuanshan with the Grand Hyatt in Xin Yi. One is a relatively cheap, old local hotel that once had prestige, and the other is part of an international chain. The Grand Hyatt isn’t new either, but it’s significantly more expensive if only for the location alone.

1 Like

Doubt they’re confusing the hotels - the Grand Hotel can be booked at ~3k, but the listed / rack rate starts at 8k+.

1 Like

Do be aware that the cheap rooms in the Grand Hotel have no windows and face . . . nothing. To describe those rooms as dispirting would understate the matter.

Source: my eyes after I saw where one of my cheap former colleagues elected to put our VIP guest. :neutral_face:

Guy

3 Likes

Depends what the occasion is, but you can try Agoda’s mystery room at Grand Hotel which comes with a Balcony/terrace, for 2,747 NTD

If they don’t give a window room, you have proof and can make a big fuss on site until they upgrade or compensate you. I would ask for a suite upgrade if they fail to give a window room.

I dunno man after what I saw I am not sure I would put my faith in a “mystery room” category at that property . . .

But yes the rooms with balconies are much nicer. That’s where I was able to place our VIP after arguing with my cheap former colleague on the phone. :grin:

Guy

1 Like

Ooo, risky game. Sounds fun, but I have a feeling Agoda/the hotel will win here because “3rd party booking site”

1 Like