Best Investments 2019

Hello all,

I’m looking for the best ways to invest some NT$ here in Taiwan. Let’s assume I have a minimum of NT$100k. I can invest either by myself (American) or through my partner (Taiwanese). I already have a Roth IRA and stocks in America, and I’ve set up a CD Ladder here in Taiwan. In addition, I have health/life+savings through my insurance company as well as a “savings program” through my insurance (pay X each month, get it all back + interest after 6 years).

However, I’m looking for other investment opportunities here in Taiwan that are relatively risk-free and have better payout, if any exist. The “savings programs” are great, but I don’t have ready access to my money and the interest is not that great. Same with savings accounts through banks: 1.1% interest isn’t doing much for me.

What is the best way to invest money in Taiwan that will actually help you make money through interest/dividends?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

The most risk-free investment would probably be term deposits in USD, which should carry a higher interest than NTD savings. I think around 3% should be possible.

You should be able to get a higher return (but with more risk) if you buy corporate bonds. The riskier the company, the higher the interest payments.

Stocks are a bit of a gamble these days. In general index ETFs should have lower volatilty than individual stocks. If you’re adventurous and believe the stock market is overvalued, you can go for inverse ETFs, which rise as the market falls.

2 Likes

Wait a few quarters until the recession hits then go all in on Google, TSMC, Nvidia and Amazon.

2 Likes

So I guess there aren’t any here in Taiwan, then?

If I want to invest in American companies, I have to claim the Foreign Tax Credit, right? This is a bit of a gray area with me… American taxes, foreign earned income, untaxed income, etc. I don’t want to violate any tax laws that could come back to bite me in the ass down the road.

Investing 100,000nt probably isn’t enough to trigger the need to pay tax on it in Taiwan.

And if that’s your only source on income from the USA, I don’t think you’ll pay taxes in the USA either. Assuming you’re a US citizen.

2 Likes

Anyone has feedbacks on Life Insurance? It’s a good thing to do in Europe, quite risk free, but wondering about the state of it in Taiwan

calling @Icon to the information room…

I got one long term investment in NTD and another in USD.

Health insurance and a good diet is the best investment.

3 Likes

Back in the days we used to say hanging out with friends and having fun is the best investment.

That too is part of staying healthy. People with friends are healthier and live longer.

How can you buy stocks in Taiwan?

The Taiwan Stock Exchange building is on the SEast corner of Chunghsiao and Hsinsheng.
Walk in and order them like you would a meal at McDonald’s.

lol seriously now