Best mid-range restaurants in 101/Xinyi area?

Especially Western style places, like gastropubs, but any good European restaurants or any SE Asian restaurants are welcome too. Not in the mood for any East Asian fare. Not too expensive, but not too cheap, like TGIF-esque prices (hopefully better food though).

att4fun building has many restaurants, in different styles around that price range.

Do you have any recommendations for particular places there that are a bit better than the rest?

1 Like

Chili’s, Texas Roadhouse, Gordon Biersch

Is The Diner still around?

No to the first two. Maybe to the last one.

The Thai place shut down in Att4Fun. The rest from memory are East Asian, which places did you have in mind?

Woolloomooloo is always good
NOLA next to Xiangshan station

1 Like

to he honest, not so much. they are all B+ or A-, we always have a good time there eating as a family, the service is ok and food is tasty, but no place there has a "Wow factor " to it.

On your own, or any particular menu requirements? Gordon Biersch is probably the nicest-looking place to get a decent beer (they’ve got a variety) and decent food any time during the day. Big range on the menu (link for English-language menu). Food is not stellar quality - I dunno, 7/10? But it’s a giant range, so almost anyone can find something they want. It’s the closest I’ve seen here to a “typical” serve-everything-plus-booze restaurant or pub that you’d see in North America. Prices higher than Friday’s. Weekday lunch specials are a good deal: limited range of dishes, free dessert (or soup), cheaper beer.

Diner is good if you want, well, diner-style food.

I’ve eaten better and more interesting food at Woolloomooloo, but it’s, um, to my eyes sometimes a little shabby and dark, and cramped. Or maybe I’ve only been there on rainy days. I don’t know what the beer selection is like. This link is for their menu on Google; I can’t easily find a more accessible version.

I like the sandwiches at Liquid Bread a lot. Good draft beer. But not really a place to linger.

4 Likes

A little further afield, but spacious and delicious: Avenue Fast Casual Eatery on Anhe Road. Love it—and utterly unlike anything you are likely to find in Kaohsiung.

Guy

4 Likes

I don’t know if you’ve been there recently, but I went for the first time in ages maybe 6 weeks ago and it’s a fair bit smaller now - they seem to have sold half of the place to the adjacent property or something and put up a new wall in between. I agree that it’s probably not what @DrewC is looking for here in any case though.

1 Like

Oh - OK, so that’s even less of a place to linger! No, I haven’t been in a year or more. Based on how sparse the crowd usually was when I was there - typically weekend lunchtimes - it does make sense; they didn’t seem to use that space.

Good but small sandwiches and good beer, but I’ve repeatedly wondered why I was spending so much money to sit at a counter and drink beer out of a plastic cup.

1 Like

Okay guys, thanks. I think this is a good start. I know it’s not the best area for fine dining, but the weather isn’t great so…

Yeah, it’s basically just the size of the counter area plus ~1.5 meters now, with a four-person table in the middle and three or four single seats to the side on the new wall with the bathroom. It was always quite quiet when I visited too (typically in the evenings when I was doing something in the area), but the new layout did feel a bit cramped. It used to be nice to have a quick decent beer and sandwich there, especially if I was doing something after.

They do seem to do a lot of orders for Uber Eats etc., so maybe that’s part of the reason as well.

1 Like

It’s also Fiesta Del Taco at Maji Square today, but that’s not in Xinyi and the weather is even less suitable for that…

2 Likes

Shin Yeh is decent but East Asian.

Nah, so tired of not just Taiwanese food, but Korean, Japanese and Chinese. My wife suggested Ichiran Ramen, and I turned it down. I don’t know what it is, I’m just burnt out on this entire geographical region.

2 Likes

The Regent Hotel has a decent buffet.

No. 3 Zhongshan North Road Section 2 Lane 39
Jhongshan District, Taipei City 104
Taiwan

1 Like

That place is neither “mid-range” nor near 101/Xinyi!

Guy

4 Likes