Best/most economical auto for the mountains?

[quote=“PaddyB”]After all this discussion I’m almost more confused than before! A Subaru Forester is the only gold option I’ve seen so far. But if I cant find one, I’m at a loss as far as what else to choose. Do I get -

1. a RWD truck with lots of space and better ground clearance but less traction control (Innova)?[/quote]

The Innova is an option I would say, but only really if you plan on taking things easy and only coping with minor inconveniences regarding lumps and bumps in the road. Don’t rely on one for good traction, as it doesn’t have it.

I would say a four wheel drive CRV or X-Trail is marginally better than a front wheel drive car. Personally I would just get a 2WD CRV in this case for the ground clearance and reduced costs of running a 4x4.

A serious offroader is seriously more expensive in the long run and requires much more attention in servicing and repairs as well as fuel costs. If trouble and constant costs are not things you wish to put up with on a constant basis, then stay away. If however traction and pure ruggedness are at the top of the list, then something like a Wrangler would be great. I’d personally just go for an Escudo in this case though and spend as much as the vehicle cost bringing it up to spec.

Overall I would say that I personally wouldn’t feel worried about simply finding a two wheel drive car with higher than average clearance. Even my rental cars are all two wheel drive and people take those all over the island. I’ve never heard of anyone ever getting stuck.

Yeh, I think he had a Merc, so you could have done a FWD/RWD comparison, including trying the handbrake trick if you havn’t before. Take that fat fritz in the rough and make it do the splitz. Doesn’t seem to be listed any more though. :frowning:

+1

[Actually, though heavy on fuel a Mk1 Lada saloon is very good in the rough. Rugged, cheap, well protected sump, high clearance, good entry. (Though possibly not as good as a sheep.) I’ve seen a few of the 4X4 here but assume spares would be impossible.]

Yeh, I think he had a Merc, so you could have done a FWD/RWD comparison, including trying the handbrake trick if you havn’t before. Take that fat fritz in the rough and make it do the splitz. Doesn’t seem to be listed any more though. :frowning: [/quote]

Its too unreliable and costly to make a good rental car unfortunately. I had hoped to offer something a little bit different, but as I suspected and as I always say, only Japanese cars make good cars for Taiwan, especially older ones.

What are the odds of finding a good late 90’s 2-door Pajero? Seems like a nice little truck. As I’ve said before, I’m a big fan of the Super Select drivetrain. My folks back home used to have an '04 Pajero and I loved that 4WD set up. Having 2H, AWD, 4H and 4L on the same rig is really versatile.

What would you expect the fuel economy to be like on a 12 or 13 year old 3000cc V6? Any ways to improve it, like getting a good tune-up? Would you expect the 4-door model to have noticeably worse fuel economy?

Looks like there arent a ton of them but there are a few around. Here are three I found so far. I wonder how trashed they are…

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21011086312601

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21011085751315

ocar.com.tw/index/cardetail/id/142353

Just get any old sedan that you like and fit it with ridiculous gas-adjust shocks so you can dial up the appropriate height any time you want.