Best musical instrument shop in Taipei?

For me, it’s Tony’s Music World, near the Linkuang MRT station, nothing else comes close. Just wondering if anyone knows a better one?

Not a better one, but there’s a pretty decent one on the corner of Nanjing and JianGuo.

But this has all been discussed before. Let me see if I can find the link…

Wow… so many links. Anyway, here’s a good’un.
viewtopic.php?t=23991&highlight=
[color=#008080](Mod note: threads have been merged so that link no longer works)[/color]

ah, my sincerest apologies… :blush:

Tony’s Music is like the Guitar World back home. You go there to check out all the gear, but you don’t buy anything there. That’s because you get much better deals at Galaxy (Nanjing and Jianguo) which I personally think is the best guitar shop in Taipei.

I went to the music shop on the corner of Jian Guo and Nan Jing (it’s called Tun Huang) yesterday looking for some sheet music.

I found the selection very poor and the staff unhelpful. (this is the most charitable comment I can make, yesterday I would have used strong language to describe the staff).

If you want to buy a guitar I would try Galaxy.

[quote=“Little Pig”]I went to the music shop on the corner of Jianguo and Nanjing (it’s called Tun Huang) yesterday looking for some sheet music.

I found the selection very poor and the staff unhelpful. (this is the most charitable comment I can make, yesterday I would have used strong language to describe the staff).

If you want to buy a guitar I would try Galaxy.[/quote]

Galaxy = the JianGuo/ NanJing shop yeah?

Sorry, that’s my mixup.

Galaxy is on Jinshan S. Road (about a block south of Zhongxiao East Rd.)

[quote=“Little Pig”]I went to the music shop on the corner of Jianguo and Nanjing (it’s called Tun Huang) yesterday looking for some sheet music.

If you want to buy a guitar I would try Galaxy.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve had mixed results there too (Tun Huang). I do think it’s at least worth checking out though, especially for guitar-related stuff. Staff there have generally been friendly to me, and an amp I priced there was about 20% cheaper than the same one at Tony’s (though Tony’s dropped the price for me once I told them).

However, I’ve also had a weird experience where something I went back to buy about 3 weeks later had suddently shot up in price by about 30%, and they denied it ever having been the cheaper price. So, I went to Tony’s and got it for the same price as I was originally quoted in Tun Huang.

Does anyone know if Galaxy on Jinshan S. Road sells second-hand guitar cases?

BTW, I found this info on another thread:

[quote=“Proto_tw”]Galaxy Music Company ( Golden Ant music shop )
No. 37-1, Sec. 1, Jin-Shan south road, Taipei ( located between Ren’ai road and Zhongxiao east road, and the nearest MRT is Zhongxiao / Xin-Sheng station ).
Tel: 02-2357-8665
Business hours: Monday - Saturday 10:00AM -10:00PM
Sunday 12:00AM-07:00PM
[/quote]

lets do that shop crawl after brunch… and see what they have. i have been a few times. sometimes they have the odd high end electric in there and a small colleciton of pedals. loads of high priced acoustics tho.

seen any synths/rackmount modules/keyboards in there?

PS there’s also a guitar shop at Xi Men Ding, get off at exit six and walk 2-3blocks in the direction of Taipei Main station… it’s not bad. I bought an old DX7 in there for 2000 NTD (sticker price said 4000…)