Best NON DEET mosquito sprays for Taiwanese mosquitoes?

I’ve been considering non DEET alternatives to take with me to Taiwan:

Mosiguard - either natural, extra or maximum strength.
Incognito anti mosquito.
Jungle formula - natural or home and abroad.
Autan protection plus or Tropical (contains picardin)
Avon skin so soft bug guard with picardin.

Does anyone have any experiences of using any of these products in Taiwan to keep the mosi’s at bay?

cheers.

You love your brand names over there LOL. There are lots of non DEET alternatives available in Taiwan. Theres no harm in bringing some with you. DEET is still generally the most effective though.

I have a friend who used to work at a research station that carried out experiments on this. After reading the reports she’ll now use nothing but DEET preparations. I’ve tried some non-DEET alternatives and they’ve been completely ineffective (especially Avon Skin so Soft, which personally I think was only ever an urban myth).

is that Avon one an icaridin formulation? I’ve been trying to get hold of that because I hate DEET - it’s vile stuff (although have to use something while I’m working outside or I get eaten alive). So far I haven’t seen anything in Taiwan that actually contains icaridin.

There are some pretty decent locally made herbal type products which can do the job. You just need to apply them more often than a DEET spray.

is that Avon one an icaridin formulation? I’ve been trying to get hold of that because I hate DEET - it’s vile stuff (although have to use something while I’m working outside or I get eaten alive). So far I haven’t seen anything in Taiwan that actually contains icaridin.[/quote]

I’ve tried it Finley. Doesn’t work.

I went to an open day at my friend’s work (Rothamstead Agricultural Research Station) and visited the exhibition on mosquito repellent research. They had a plastic sphere full of mosquitos with two short tunnels leading out of it. The tunnels had mesh at the sphere end but were open to the air if you see what I mean. You had to put your hand over the end of one of the tunnels to tell how attractive you were to mosquitoes. Yes, in the great lottery of life the creatures most attracted to me are mosquitos.

I chatted for a while with one of the researchers. She said that the most effective thing is DEET, which she didn’t actually think was that bad. She said, okay, it does melt plastic but human skin isn’t plastic. They were working on finding out what combination of skin chemicals were least attractive to mosquitoes, as there are some people that actively repel them. Once they’d found this special formula they would create an artificial repellent based on the chemicals we produce naturally. Which will be a great thing when it comes, but unfortunately these things take years.

i dont personally use any now as they dont seem to work in heavily infested areas. that said, if you hate deet and dont want them buggers eating you, drink a lot of gin while here.

dengue is probably on par with a mediocre ecoli infection which is more likely, and no malaria here so i try not to worry too much :slight_smile: food and traffic, those are what i focus on.

If you are in Taiwan and looking, I highly recommend Botanica. It stays on even when you are wet (great when you sweat a lot in the heat). My husband does a lot of outdoor work (and sweats A LOT) and this is the only one that stays on and keeps mosquitoes away. It’s used by NZ Govt officials when they travel.

It’s not cheap, but a little goes a long way. My friend is the distributor in Taiwan. This is the Chinese-language site: http://www.aromafamily.com.tw/product-s.php?classid=a3

It might be just you (although I’m also one of those people that mosquitos view as an all-you-can-eat buffet). That font of all knowledge, wikipedia, says:
According to the WHO, icaridin “demonstrates excellent repellent properties comparable to, and often superior to, those of the standard DEET.”
I’d like to at least give it a try, but the most popular brands that use it just don’t seem to have distributors in Taiwan, which I find quite bizarre. They’d make a fortune … if it works.

Ha … I might just give that a try! It’s not so much the diseases they carry that bothers me, it’s the itch - and the sheer irritation of the little bastards buzzing around your face. It’s unbearable. I wouldn’t mind donating a few ml of blood if they would just take it, leave me without any allergic reaction, and then bugger off.

Much as I dislike using synthetics, I must say I’m not convinced by the herbal formulations, especially the ones that contain all sorts of other stupid stuff to “keep your skin soft”. I just want a mosquito repellent. But it’s worth a try, I guess.

It might be just you (although I’m also one of those people that mosquitos view as an all-you-can-eat buffet). That font of all knowledge, wikipedia, says:
According to the WHO, icaridin “demonstrates excellent repellent properties comparable to, and often superior to, those of the standard DEET.”
I’d like to at least give it a try, but the most popular brands that use it just don’t seem to have distributors in Taiwan, which I find quite bizarre. They’d make a fortune … if it works.

Much as I dislike using synthetics, I must say I’m not convinced by the herbal formulations, especially the ones that contain all sorts of other stupid stuff to “keep your skin soft”. I just want a mosquito repellent. But it’s worth a try, I guess.[/quote]

It would be great if you could try them both and let us know how you get on. :smiley: (I.e. rather you suffer the consequences than me - I’ve done enough experimenting with repellents to last me a lifetime.)

I read the wikipedia page on icaridin and noticed that report was from 2004. If it’s as good as DEET I don’t understand why it isn’t used instead. Lots of people don’t like DEET and would happily use something else if it’s effective. Big market there.

I wonder if it depends on the type of mosquito? I’m no expert, but the ones I have buzzing around my land are visibly different to the ones that get into my (Taipei) apartment - and I do know there are many different varieties. Possibly different mosquitoes like/dislike different things. :idunno: But yeah … I do intend to give these other things a try, if I can find them.

Yep some are far more aggressive than others, and itchier too!

my wife bought a natural one made from mint. it said it cools your skin to boot. when i put it on it BURNED your skin, like a chemical burn. it did have cooling effects, jsut painful. Though my wife to this day is deadset on using it because it feels cool. for me i rather itching than burning.

if yall have more good ones that are tried and true by you be sure to keep us informed.

finley, the annoying sound and swarming in my vision is what bugs me too. also i have hair so when they land it tickles which drives me nuts. in that sense i hate flies and skeeters about the same.

I burn aswell from those menthol and mint type oils and creams, weird the locals don’t seem to be affected.

ya? your local friends dont get that feeling either? i was thinking my wife was just being stubborn. but it actually hurt to the point of my stripping down and showering. maybe its the open pores of all us sweaty white folk?

I’ve found this on different type of mosquitoes. Enjoy.
MD Travel Health website:

Japanese encephalitis is transmitted primarily by Culex mosquitoes, which breed in ground pools, especially flooded rice fields, and bite primarily after dusk.

Dengue is transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes, which bite preferentially [i][b]during the daytime[/b][/i], especially in the morning and late afternoon (in contrast to Anopheles mosquitoes, the vectors of malaria, which are most active after sundown). Aedes mosquitoes are usually found close to human habitations, often indoors. They breed primarily in man-made water containers, such as jars, barrels, cans, cisterns, metal drums, plastic containers, and discarded tires.

CDC website on how to protect oneself against insect bites:

“Using insect repellent (bug spray) with 30%-50% DEET. Picaridin, available in 7% and 15% concentrations, needs more frequent application. There is less information available on how effective picaridin is at protecting against all of the types of mosquitoes that transmit malaria.”

But I’m sure you’re familiar with this already. Just my :2cents: .

PS: after getting bitten yesterday quite severly by Aedes mosquitoes, today I’ve bought Vitamin B Complex at C**MED (B1 must be at least 25 microgr) so in 14 days my blood will become unattractive to these female flying beasts. (They need a chemical thingy from blood to be able to have eggs. Hence only females bite.)

From the CDC website. Also, some of the sites I have looked into panned Skin So Soft as an urban myth (though my own brother absolutely insists that it works). I have used Basil and Lemon Thyme here in the U.S. but have found that neither is very effective.

CDC Website Infromation
CDC evaluation of information contained in peer-reviewed scientific literature and data available from EPA has identified several EPA registered products that provide repellent activity sufficient to help people avoid the bites of disease carrying mosquitoes. Products containing these active ingredients typically provide reasonably long-lasting protection:

DEET (Chemical Name: N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide or N,N-diethly-3-methyl-benzamide)

Picaridin (KBR 3023, Chemical Name: 2-(2-hydroxyethyl)-1-piperidinecarboxylic acid 1-methylpropyl ester )

Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus* or PMD (Chemical Name: para-Menthane-3,8-diol) the synthesized version of oil of lemon eucalyptus

IR3535 (Chemical Name: 3-[N-Butyl-N-acetyl]-aminopropionic acid, ethyl ester)
EPA characterizes the active ingredients DEET and Picaridin as “conventional repellents” and Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, PMD, and IR3535 as “biopesticide repellents”, which are derived from natural materials. For more information on repellent active ingredients see (epa.gov/pesticides/health/mo … sectrp.htm).

Published data indicate that repellent efficacy and duration of protection vary considerably among products and among mosquito species and are markedly affected by ambient temperature, amount of perspiration, exposure to water, abrasive removal, and other factors.

In general, higher concentrations of active ingredient provide longer duration of protection, regardless of the active ingredient, although concentrations above ~50% do not offer a marked increase in protection time. Products with <10% active ingredient may offer only limited protection, often from 1-2 hours. Products that offer sustained release or controlled release (micro-encapsulated) formulations, even with lower active ingredient concentrations, may provide longer protection times. Regardless of what product you use, if you start to get mosquito bites reapply the repellent according to the label instructions or remove yourself from the area with biting insects if possible.

These recommendations are for domestic use in the United States where EPA-registered products are readily available. See CDC Travelers’ Health website for additional recommendations concerning protection from insects when traveling outside the United States.

Repellents for use on clothing:

Certain products containing permethrin are recommended for use on clothing, shoes, bed nets, and camping gear, and are registered with EPA for this use. Permethrin is highly effective as an insecticide and as a repellent. Permethrin-treated clothing repels and kills ticks, mosquitoes, and other arthropods and retains this effect after repeated laundering. The permethrin insecticide should be reapplied following the label instructions. Some commercial products are available pretreated with permethrin.

EPA recommends the following precautions when using insect repellents:

Apply repellents only to exposed skin and/or clothing (as directed on the product label.) Do not use repellents under clothing.
Never use repellents over cuts, wounds or irritated skin.
Do not apply to eyes or mouth, and apply sparingly around ears. When using sprays, do not spray directly on face—spray on hands first and then apply to face.
Do not allow children to handle the product. When using on children, apply to your own hands first and then put it on the child. You may not want to apply to children’s hands.
Use just enough repellent to cover exposed skin and/or clothing. Heavy application and saturation are generally unnecessary for effectiveness. If biting insects do not respond to a thin film of repellent, then apply a bit more.
After returning indoors, wash treated skin with soap and water or bathe. This is particularly important when repellents are used repeatedly in a day or on consecutive days. Also, wash treated clothing before wearing it again. (This precaution may vary with different repellents—check the product label.)
If you or your child get a rash or other bad reaction from an insect repellent, stop using the repellent, wash the repellent off with mild soap and water, and call a local poison control center for further guidance. If you go to a doctor because of the repellent, take the repellent with you to show the doctor.
Note that the label for products containing oil of lemon eucalyptus specifies that they should not to be used on children under the age of three years. Other than those listed above, EPA does not recommend any additional precautions for using registered repellents on children or on pregnant or lactating women,. For additional information regarding the use of repellent on children, please see CDC’s Frequently Asked Questions about Repellent Use. [cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/qa/insect_repellent.htm]

DEET-based repellents applied according to label instructions may be used along with a separate sunscreen. No data are available at this time regarding the use of other active repellent ingredients in combination with a sunscreen.

See cfpub.epa.gov/oppref/insect/ for additional information on using EPA-registered repellents