Best novels for Jr. High

Suggestions please! Good for range of abilities and interests if possible. Looking to put together a top 5 suggested reading list.

ā€˜Lord of the Fliesā€™ is an all-time junior high classic.

1 Like

When I was in jr. High, everyone was reading Alex Rider books. I think they made them into a show on Amazon (??) now. Golden Compass was popular too (another book series now on streaming)

Thereā€™s always Harry Potter, the Hobbit, and Narnia to fall back onā€¦

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. It had a lot of my students read more than assigned and was generally well received.

1 Like

didnā€™t we do this last year?

2 Likes

For the sake of my poor mother learning that most of what my siblings and I read in middle school was not ā€œage appropriateā€, Neil Gaiman has written a lot of books, many great for children, but American Gods is not appropriate for middle schoolers (my mom has recently realized)

Phoenix Rising by Karen Hessy
The Giver
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (heavy topics) by Betty Smith
Shadow Children
Enders game

the first season was great. the book was OK

Middle School in western countries or Taiwanese middle school?

1 Like

My students here say burnt bread, doraemon, and CSI.

Good call. I thought it seemed really familiar. Actually, I thought it was the old thread bumped.

Maybe the giver for the advanced students? Also anything by Roald Dahl is pretty timeless

The Breadwinner.

Just did a quick check to see if thisā€™d be a repost, and yup, itā€™s from you!, but linking here anyway:

1 Like

It certainly is. However, will it fly in the present climate?

I donā€™t care. ā€œIf anyone has a problem with this classic example from the Western canon, Iā€™m calling the conch shell on themā€ (is what Iā€™d say if I were teaching it)

1 Like

Opus Pistorum.

SCNR, Iā€™ll see myself outā€¦

My problem with that book is that there was a ā€œreal worldā€ case of Lord of the Flies ā€” a group of school boys ended up shipwrecked on an island somewhere in the South Pacific. When they were found over a year later (by chance), the people that found them saw a community of boys living their lives as if it was normal ā€” theyā€™d put together a kitchen, had a weight lifting area, and they had an established rule that if they got into fights, they were to go to opposite ends of the island to chill out before rejoining the group. So the only ā€œcase studyā€ literally runs completely contrary to story told in the book. Itā€™s like some people want the world to burn when the reality is that humans try to do the right thing most of the time. Learning about the ā€œrealā€ story actually made me hate my lit teacher for shoving those tropes down our throats.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s an article about it for those interested - The real Lord of the Flies: what happened when six boys were shipwrecked for 15 months | Society books | The Guardian

3 Likes

What?

Anyway, I preferred The Spire until I found it was based on a real building.