Best payment options for domestic Taiwanese and overseas customers

Hello Forumosans!

I’m looking for alternative ways to collect money for my consulting services that would be convenient for both Taiwanese and overseas customers.

Apart from PayPal, Stripe, Payoneer, Line iPay, ECPay, what are other options that you have tested, and what worked best for you?

I’d like to integrate a payment option with my website, as well as to have a link added to my linktree profile as this company did.
Kazuo Craft 卡祖歐訂製鞋 | Linktree (down below the last link is ECPay).

If you have any other way that worked for you in terms of how you charge your customers, I would be happy to hear.

Swift transfer?

Otherwise payment transfers are governed by law so if you’re not seeing other options it’s because of banking law.

crossborder transfers are heavily regulated (overly regulated tbh), in particular foreign currency coming from abroad and related conversions in NTD.

At present there is no convenient crossborder solution, even payment processor require long processing times to release payments (like the paypal solution with Esun, takes many days and it is expensive).

Currently working with my company to find a solution for this, but still in the development stage. Some news will come soon hopefully though.

So, at present, the best way is just receiving the Swift transfer in foreign currency from abroad into your bank account, do the relative declarations to credit it and convert it into NTD.

I don’t need money in, I need money out. Taiwanese do not really like PayPal. So what are other international alternatives that could work best for locals?

Customers from overseas will pay to my PayPal or Payoneer accounts. I don’t need to withdraw that money from those platforms. Even if I do it, E.Sun worked pretty well so far as long as I don’t withdraw more than NTD 10.000.

even worse then, just swift out.

E Sun hasn’t charged any fees for withdraws from PayPal. I did it anywhere from 200nt all the way up to 40,000nt.

I’d be very careful with leaving money on Payoneer. If you read reviews online, there’s no shortage of people complaining about having their accounts and funds locked.

And they have essentially no functional customer service. It took me several weeks and countless emails a few months ago to go through the verification process with their painful semi-automated system to be able to withdraw money - they were rejecting most of the stuff I uploaded (ARC, Taiwanese rental contract, Taiwanese utility bills, Taiwanese income tax certificates) without even looking at it, and most of the things I had to upload several times with multiple follow-up emails before ultimately having to get the platform I was using involved (which has Payoneer as its only payment partner).

Garbage company as far as I’m concerned, and I decided to avoid them wherever possible in the future.

1 Like

Yea I hate Payoneer, and Ebay stopped using paypal as payment for seller fees, meaning if you want to sell anything on ebay at all you must set up a payoneer account. Except I wasn’t able to set one up at all because every document I submitted, like Taiwan ID card, was automatically rejected, and after the 20th try I gave up.

I was only hoping to sell a few salvage CPU that I have… they’re worth maybe 200nt if that. I ended up delidding them and destroying it in the process…

Yep, that’s pretty much what happened with me. They kept rejecting my ARC because it wasn’t a valid “government-issued ID”, my most recent utility bills because they weren’t issued in the last 3 months (they were), my rental contract because…whatever, no idea. :man_shrugging:

And all their support tickets get automatically marked as resolved immediately without anyone looking at them. Totally frustrating company.

Yea makes me wonder if ebay paid them enough to provide the service, which is why they basically do nothing except automatically rejecting and ignoring questions.

I had the same error for my Taiwan ID card. They said it wasn’t a valid ID. I thought it was because it was all in Chinese and somehow Payoneer’s AI or whatever can’t read Chinese.

When someone can make a semi sentient AI that can basically pay people to defeat Captcha this is basically inexcusable. I guess they don’t have enough staff to manually vet submitted documents.