Best Pizza in Taipei

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Poor little oregano. Getting the Fred Smith stamp of disapproval as well.
What’s next, basil bashing?

Here you are, Basil bashing:

You’re a fast one, big fluffy. :smiley:
Under ten minutes!

He stole that from me. I did a Basil a long long while ago, AND it was under ten minutes.

tsk tsk

Sorry that should be lack of oregano and basil and such. Hence unsophisticated. Alien upset me so much earlier that I mistyped. It’s all her fault. Bash her.

freddie

[quote=“Alleycat”]He stole that from me. I did a Basil a long long while ago, AND it was under ten minutes.

tsk tsk[/quote]you’re referring to this post forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?p=77730#77730
as you can see, it’s a completely different joke, “Fresh basil” v “Basil bashing” and a completely different image, and Allycat’s was posted 10 days, not 10 minutes, after basil was first mentioned,
so ner ner to you

mr. pacos has always been my fave, it’s always good whenever i go. i didn’t care for cosi too much when i went–though i’d kill for a plate of their penne puttanesca right now–though i can’t remember exactly why. was much impressed by alleycat’s first time, the crust was thin but never got soggy. seems the oven–which was wholly unlike anything i ever saw in NY :slight_smile:–works good, and they must be doing something right with the dough. my only complaint was that the salami and sundried tomato toppings i ordered on my pies were a bit salty, i’ll go for something lighter next time, which will be soon!

The Happy Herb pizza joint (sic) in Phnom Penh gets my vote for the world’s best pizza. It’s that liberal sprinkling of readily available local ahem, ‘herbs’ that does it. Had a few wacky nights in the Cambodian capital after eating at this place. Don’t go if there is a regional summit or international conference on as the all-important herbs tend to disappear for the duration of these events.

Pacos? I do not think that the pizza is as good as Cosi a Cosi (occasional oil slicks pool in the middle causing the middle to get soggy) and the prices are quite steep. Also, do not like the ambience of the cold paneled wood and dark and yuck at the new location and it lacks the personable, welcoming, strong identity that permeates Alleycats and given that the prices are much higher than Alleycat’s, I am going to put them at 6.0. Also, the service is nothing to crow about and if I have to explain one more time to the staff how to open a wine bottle or champagne bottle… :imp: And horror of horrors, I spent NT$2,200 one night at the Ritz and then next night went to Paco’s for a friend’s birthday and ended up spending NT$2,350!!! :imp: :imp: :imp:

freddie

And don’t forget that the real Paco (Patrick) isn’t with Paco’s any longer, and has opened Olala! which doesn’t serve pizza.

Amen to that Alien:

Without Paco the restaurant could become just another has been. The chef is all important as we have all learned. That said, I stopped liking Pacos when they left the warm sunny friendly orange painted place and went across the street to that cold, dark wood thing.

At least we have finally agreed on something Alien. Looks like a good omen for Friday at Fredfest II.

What are we agreeing on? I stated a fact.
However, I haven’t been back to Paco’s since Paco left, and I didn’t much like the feng shui in the dwei mian place.

I predict Fredfest participants will be glum and dour until the flavours begin to dance upon their tongues, kind of like the Scandanavians (too bad Mr. He can’t attend) in “Babette’s Feast”>You fancy yourself a real “Babette”, don’t you, Fred? :?

Alien:

Is Babette your new “pet” name for me? I guess it is not that different from the baby, honey, babette that you usually call me. Okay. I guess that’s okay. I know the sentiments are genuine. :smiling_imp:

Now explain this to me. The Chinese call it feng-shui, we call it atmosphere or ambience. What was it about the dui-mian place that was so unsettling or uncomfortable and what was it about the original place that was so “inviting.” By the way, I would definitely say one of Alleycat’s key points is precisely that ambience, atmosphere or feng-shui, whatever you want to call it. It immediately cheers the soul to enter Alleycat’s. I would not say the same for Carnegie’s. Luckily though, Carnegie’s cheers other parts of the abdomen or appendages thereof! :smiling_imp:

[quote=“fred smith”]Alien:

Is Babette your new “pet” name for me? I guess it is not that different from the baby, honey, babette that you usually call me.
[/quote]

Oh, you mean ‘Nazi’. It has the ‘ee’ sound at the end of it. Easy to mishear. The Nazis knew a lot about good food and wine, too. Have you seen Conspiracy? It’s set around a dinner table …

I can’t believe you rated the pizzas. :unamused:

Alien:

Sorry is there a reason that one cannot or should not rate pizzas? I would further add that for sustenance food, i.e. pizza hut and domino’s I would give the former a 1.75 to 2.0 and the latter a 2.5 to 3.0 depending on the particular occasion. How’s that?

Also, haha about Babette’s feast. It reminds me of your comments about finger bowls (as if?!). Perhaps, your view of formal dinners is gleaned solely from the Masterpiece Theatre? I am sure that we will all try to struggle with our gloom that night. Champagne has that effect on most people. haha

Now, seriously, what is it about the duimian place that is so offputting? Did anyone else feel that way after Paco’s moved across the street?
fred

[quote=“fred smith”]Pacos? I do not think that the pizza is as good as Cosi a Cosi (occasional oil slicks pool in the middle causing the middle to get soggy) and the prices are quite steep. Also, do not like the ambience of the cold paneled wood and dark and yuck at the new location and it lacks the personable, welcoming, strong identity that permeates Alleycats and given that the prices are much higher than Alleycat’s, I am going to put them at 6.0. Also, the service is nothing to crow about and if I have to explain one more time to the staff how to open a wine bottle or champagne bottle… :imp: And horror of horrors, I spent NT$2,200 one night at the Ritz and then next night went to Paco’s for a friend’s birthday and ended up spending NT$2,350!!! :imp: :imp: :imp:

freddie[/quote]

Maybe it’s the new yorker in me but when i think “pizza” i don’t think “atmosphere” or “service.” just make it good. you’re right it can tend towards sogginess–but the pies are so small it’s usually gone before that’s a major problem. it’s a thin crust. i’ve always enjoyed it. true, it was never cheap. maybe i’ll try cosi’s again, but i’m looking forward to my next visit to ac’s too much.

one thing about paco’s, last time i was there for an early lunch i caught them turning on the fridge full of belgian beer, which at the time was as warm as another undrinkable yellow liquid i won’t mention. funny, whenever i had a beer there i never really enjoyed it. suffice it to say i didn’t order one that day!

I ate there last month and while it was good, the “world’s best” is a bit of an overstatement.
Thin crusts should not be so thin that the pizza is like a tortilla chip with pizza toppings.
Napoli Pizza, while not really fantastic, can’t be beat on Tuesdays when the regular large NT$250 (everyday low price) is only NT$150. You can get them to make one off the menu if you know how to explain it to them.

Well, of course it is an overstatement. Pizza has got nothing to do with it. In 1995 (which admittedly the last time I had one there), the emphasis was on the ‘herbs’. You could add your own as it was only about US$1 per kilo down the market. To be honest, I can’t remember much about the pizza but Club Martini was more fun after eating one.

One pizza place that didn’t make it on the list is a place called Chicago’s. It is on an alley off of Jian Guo just south of Xin Yi. They do good pizza. Not Taiwan good, just plain old good. Plan to take out the pizza and enjoy it in Da An park.

If you can get to Mr. Paco’s Monday to Friday, they have really good lunch deals where you get a full pizza, salad or soup and coffee or tea for under $200.

Happy hunting!

[quote=“kaaa”]One pizza place that didn’t make it on the list is a place called Chicago’s. It is on an alley off of Jianguo just south of Xinyi. They do good pizza. Not Taiwan good, just plain old good. Plan to take out the pizza and enjoy it in Da’an park.

If you can get to Mr. Paco’s Monday to Friday, they have really good lunch deals where you get a full pizza, salad or soup and coffee or tea for under $200.

Happy hunting![/quote]

that still there? if it’s a remnant of the old chicago’s i’m thinking of, i haven’t seen one in years. there used to be one on yenchi st, one ON chienguo near hsinyi, one in shihlin i think, and probably a few more. it was always decent, in a chain store kind of way.