Best Place to live during an earthquake?

Of coarse the obvious answer is in the country or outside the city but what about best place to live during an earthquake in Taipei?
Some ideas I had were to live on a rooftop as you avoid getting sandwiched should the building collapse and everyone else ends up
being your sponge. Another Idea was to live or place a bed near the main pillars or support structure of a building as usually these don’t
collapse even if the rest of the area does leaving you a small area to be trapped in and found later. Lastly I thought the Taipei 101 would
be good to live in If it had apartments and was not all business offices as its designed to be quake proof.

[quote=“chrisE30bm”]Some ideas I had were to live on a rooftop as you avoid getting sandwiched should the building collapse and everyone else ends up
being your sponge. [/quote]
What if the building fell over sideways? Then you would fall the furthest to the ground. I would prefer to live in an airplane. I would never have to worry about earthquakes.

A building without a rooftop apt. at all would be better. Rooftops are generally added later, and are therefore not taken into account when the building is designed/engineered. The addition of an extra apt up there can screw with the earthquake proof-ness of the building.

I would say a building built in the last 10 years since they SHOULD meet the latest building codes. I’m sure there are all kinds of shenanigans still going on but I’m guessing a 50 yr old building has shenanigans to an exponential power. But I’m obviously not worried since I live in a 50+ yr old 3 story house.

I would say some place like this.

God knows I couldn’t knock it down. :s

If it was that badly built it would have been destroyed by typhoons or the 921 earthquake.

If it was that badly built it would have been destroyed by typhoons or the 921 earthquake.[/quote]

I hear that a lot, but what I don’t get is the 921 earthquake may have weakened the building.

What really scares me is my dorm room and the classroom buildings at NCCU. They’re old and government built (and we know how well the government built schools turned out during the 921 quake)

I think large apartment buildings built within the last 10 years are probably safer.

If it was that badly built it would have been destroyed by typhoons or the 921 earthquake.[/quote]

Or it sustained damage but not visibly and it’s ready to fall like a house of cards?

On solid rock.
Not on a riverbed.
Not between the second and 9th of high rise buildings.
If you want to run first floor if not top floor.

I live in a two storey house surrounded by other two and three storey houses, with no high rises or tall buildings in sight. I think that’s safest. :2cents:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I would say some place like this.

God knows I couldn’t knock it down. :s[/quote]
Dangit! I only got 66,160 on that level.