Best place to stay in Bali?

My hubby and I are planning on spending some time in Bali this summer, and I need some advice!

Where is the best area to stay that is relatively quiet but still has some nightlife, restaurants, etc.? I have heard to stay away from Kuta, but that’s all I know! I’ve been looking online and it seems like Nusa is nice, but it’s hard to tell. We want a quiet place, but don’t want to be stuck at the hotel every night either…we like to try different restaurants and have a few quiet (or sometimes not-so-quiet) drinkie poos in the evenings when on holiday.

Any recommended hotels? We’re looking for 4 or 5 star, nice pool, nice beach, good restaurants on the premises but also close to restaurants, etc. outside of the hotel…preferably within walking distance. We’re hoping not to spend more than about $125 or so a night. I’ve seen some places online that look lovely, but it’s hard to tell if they’re really isolated or close to stuff.

Any suggestions / recommendations? Thanks!!!

take the ferry cross to tamshui? maybe theres a few places there? (just kidding).

sorry no idea, never been to Bali, hoping to learn something thru this thread too.

Ha ha, thanks anyway Tommy! :sunglasses:

Nusa Dua is resorty and rather sterile. Ubud is nice, many of the small hotels overlooking hillsides or rice fields are nice and the town is there with shows, art, restaurants etc. If you have your heart set on a beach Sanur is quieter than Kuta, yet not too quiet. I never stayed farther afield.

Thanks, Temp Gain. I looked at Ubud too, and it looks beautiful…but we are pretty set on staying on the beach. I’ll check out Sanur, cheers for that!

Tempo Gain, I’ve been looking at hotels in Sanur and found some nice places. I was looking on a map and it seems close to Kuta…when you said it’s ‘not too quiet,’ did you mean the town itself or that it is close to Kuta?

We stayed at the Ramada Bintang resort when we went for our honeymoon back in 2006. It was a beautiful quiet resort within easy walking distance to shopping and restaurants and bars.
The first room that we got was kind of damp, but they promptly moved us to another room that was wonderful.

http://www.bintang-bali-hotel.com/index.html

Overall, we weren’t impressed with Bali as a whole. It seemed like everyone was trying to pull some kind of scam, from immigration officers requesting “tips” before placing visa in my passport to taxi drivers and tour operators trying to change the deal once they get you out away from town.

[quote=“JMcNeill”]We stayed at the Ramada Bintang resort when we went for our honeymoon back in 2006. It was a beautiful quiet resort within easy walking distance to shopping and restaurants and bars.
The first room that we got was kind of damp, but they promptly moved us to another room that was wonderful.

http://www.bintang-bali-hotel.com/index.html

Overall, we weren’t impressed with Bali as a whole. It seemed like everyone was trying to pull some kind of scam, from immigration officers requesting “tips” before placing visa in my passport to taxi drivers and tour operators trying to change the deal once they get you out away from town.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip on the Ramada…I looked at it briefly today online, but didn’t have time to check it out more thoroughly. I’ll check it out now.

Bali sounds a bit like Vietnam the way you describe the scammy stuff…that’s one of the reasons we usually stick to Malaysia. I may have to think this through, my husband and I aren’t really interested in constantly being pushed for tips for everything. I’m a big tipper, but on my own terms, if you know what I mean! Sometimes it’s just not worth seeing a place if you’re made to feel like that. :frowning:

:no-no: :ponder: Can’t compare apples and peers la. In Vietnam you only have to say “NO” once while you make gestures towards Police like you gonna call them to get rid of the flies.
I never ever had any scam issue while I worked and played tourist in 'Nam

In Bali, if you would opt doing the same, the Cops will take a part on-top :smiley:
They are known as the Nigerians of the Pacific

Ubud was my first choice (no dweilers almost). Good luck and Enjoy- Bali is wonderfull if you know where to go!
(we did not and took a guide for 5 days thru the TW travel agency)

:no-no: :ponder: Can’t compare apples and peers la. In Vietnam you only have to say “NO” once while you make gestures towards Police like you gonna call them to get rid of the flies.
I never ever had any scam issue while I worked and played tourist in 'Nam

In Bali, if you would opt doing the same, the Cops will take a part on-top :smiley:
They are known as the Nigerians of the Pacific

Ubud was my first choice (no dweilers almost). Good luck and Enjoy- Bali is wonderfull if you know where to go!
(we did not and took a guide for 5 days thru the TW travel agency)[/quote]

Ha ha, thanks Ceevee. I thought the Vietnamese were total scam artists though! When we’d go out for a meal / drink / whatever, they would do little things like bring peanuts to your table and then charge you for them when you get your bill…or charge you for the wet wipes they give you when you are eating, take ‘extra’ from cab fare, etc. We were always getting overcharged for things, even hotel bills, and had to look over everything carefully. It seemed constant to us and started to drive us a wee bit crazy after a while! :laughing:

Did you stay on a beach anywhere? Ubud looks lovely, but this will be the ‘beachy’ part of our holiday and we’re pretty set on being right on the ocean. If you stayed on the beach, where did you stay and would you recommend it?

The area itself. There are restaurants, shopping, bars etc. It’s a relatively low-key kind of beach resort, the first beach developed in Bali, with some of that kind of faded charm. For dancing-type nightlife you’ll probably want to head to Kuta, not too far.

The area itself. There are restaurants, shopping, bars etc. It’s a relatively low-key kind of beach resort, the first beach developed in Bali, with some of that kind of faded charm. For dancing-type nightlife you’ll probably want to head to Kuta, not too far.[/quote]

Great, thanks for the advice. :sunglasses:

If you are looking for really excellent western food and are open to the idea of renting a villa (most of which have private pools), I’d suggest Seminyak to you. It’s kind of posh in a loungy kind of way, but you can have comfort, privacy and be close to the beach, though beaches in Bali are not really all that pretty, except in areas where they are kept up by hotels.

Some of the restaurants are Ku De Ta, Breeze by Samaya, Nutmeg’s in Hu’u, La Luciola for spanish food, but the best by far is Kafe Warisan. Most of these are European fusion restos that incorporate Balinese influence in some of their dishes.

There are heaps of nightspots, mostly bars for drinks, the Bar at Breeze being my favorite, as you can sit on sofas in their courtyard looking out onto the ocean.

Other than that, Bali is quite small and the cabs are cheap, so if you want to find something a little livelier, Kuta is just down the road and the seafood restaurants at Jimbaran are also doable from here.

I stayed at a villa called Villa Cicada last time I was there and had a huge condo with a private plunge pool and a bigger common pool outside in the common area. Really nice and about the same you would pay for four or five star hotel accommodation.

I’ve also stayed in Nusa Dua and would only recommend it if you are looking to stay in your five star, eat and spend your days on site, as there is not much in that area except for bing international hotels.

Good luck!

I recently lived in Bali for two years and what citizen k says above is TOTALLY spot on.

Thanks a million, gents! :notworthy: You’ve given me lots of very valuable info. Cheers for that!!!

My wife and I stayed at the Sofitel in Seminyak. A little pricier than your budget though…looks to be around $205/night with advance prepay. Gorgeous place though, great beach, secure, seemed like a bit to do within walking distance, free shuttle to Kuta or taxi not too expensive.