Best Restaurants in Tianmu

I know some may disagree here, but Din Tai Fung is a must. Their House Special Spicy Shrimp and Pork Wontons (紅油抄手-蝦肉) must have some kind of drug or something because they are addictive. And their Xiaolongbaos are top notch too.

4 Likes

I’ll try that. Thanks!

Could not agree more. And the vegetable and pork steamed dumplings 菜肉蒸餃 are in a class of their own.
The Tian Mu location is in the basement of Far Eastern SOGO Department Store.

3 Likes

It’s somehow escaped my attention! Will check it out.

1 Like

I believe that Cold Stone closed a few years ago (unless the branch is somewhere else in the department store now?).

If you like ramen, I recommend Ajito Ramen. It’s right next to Zhishan MRT near Mr. Chee Kopitiam, which was mentioned upthread I believe. Ajito’s original location is near Shilin MRT, but it had a perennial line in front of it. I gave up after standing in line for half an hour. The Zhishan location was a godsend.

2 Likes

On another note, what is this stank in the air? I only notice it in Tianmu. It’s like hot garbage on a summer day.
This stench odor has NYC beat by far.

No idea what you could mean. Where?

1 Like

Sulphor from the hot springs in yangmingshan. When it rains it goes down the mountain and reaches the gutters in tianmu.

4 Likes

I don’t remember smelling sulfur in Tianmu. It’s very common in XinBeitou, though.

2 Likes

If you live near 磺溪 Sulphur Stream (obviously) or Donghe or Tianhe Park, the sulphur smell can be quite distinctive. Other areas not so much but you can still smell it occasionally.

Makes sense now. I do notice it more when it rains.
And it’s raining for the entire week. FML

I want to revive this thread! There’s still so many amazing restaurants in tienmu so this deserves more than a measley 5 responses from 2007.

1. Wendel’s Bakery & Bistro
    02 2831 4415
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/j9k3TVn8npCZModk7
    Great German Restaurant and bakery. The desserts and pretzels are pretty great but it’s not cheap

2. Saffron Fine Indian Cuisine
    02 2871 4842
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/abGCVTd5LV5RTBc79

High end indian restaurant. I had it in 2018 but it’s out of my budget, so I’ve only had it the one time. Great lassi, great curries, great naan. Definitely highly recommended if you have money.

1. Hi-Lai Harbour Tianmu Branch
    07 412 8068#2
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/VEtR4rbJFTtzmLrj9

An expensive all you can eat buffet carrying Chinese, Asian and western dishes. Includes expensive ice cream and beer. It’s about 1200 per person. Ate there as a business lunch which drops the price to around 800 if I’m not mistaken.

For cheaper places:

韓庭州 天母店
02 2834 8595

I ate at this Korean restaurant and quite enjoyed it. The food was pretty reasonable.

Subber
02 2837 6872

A subway like restaurant. It’s much better than subway in my opinion. They have hot and cold subs as well as salads.

Baires Ice Cream
02 2876 7927

The ice cream here was really good. Only got to try the one time but only 1 place (a gelato place in zhongshan) beats it.

Wendel is debatable IMHO, used to be much better years ago, or maybe there was much less foreign food then and i was more desperate.

for Pizza: Oggi and Pizza Pino near Wendell are very nice too. there is also Lasagna Bar which i heard is good but havent tried.

For Indian : Moksha, spice shop and Jai Ho are good and cheaper than saffron.

For Mediterranean food : Pita Bar

Coffee: Moment cafe across the street from carrefour has instagramable food, taste is ok.

2 Likes

See also this thread - I dunno if the mods want to try to merge them.

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/any-recommendations-for-tianmu/224613?u=lostinasia

2 Likes

Pizza oggi is good? I keep thinking of trying it but never end up going in

Traditional neapolitan and roman style, they are good and true. They have also other branches in Taipei

2 Likes

they are good, in my opinion also a little pricey for what you are getting. I think that Pino Pizza, across the street is just as good and at more reasonable price.

1 Like