Best Restaurants in Tianmu

hey I was just wondering what are the places casual/classy restaurants for dinner in Tienmu? i’ve tried Cafe onion which i thought was pretty good but anyone got any better ideas?

western only?

a new entrant that was pretty good other day is the sri lankan place in tienmu w rd. lane 13, next to the knife-cut noodles place. not exactly cheap, and not stunning, though it was my first experience with that cuisine and not really sure what to expect. was wondering if tastes had been watered down or not. it was a nice change from the usual indian though. sri lankan guys cooking. i might go back.

I’m fond of the Cafe Excellent, which is near the police station at the top circle on Zhongshan North Road.

No. 6-1, Lane 190, Zhongshan North Road Sec. 7
Tel. 2872-6076

Most entrees are about NT$180. But to make one of those into a set meal – recommended (try the ranch dressing if you get a salad) – add NT$120. Then there’s a 10 percent service charge (not listed on the menu). So figure on NT$330 per person.

The food is Western vegetarian. But if you’re not a vegetarian don’t let that put you off. This is good stuff. My favorite is the quesadillas. The daily specials are also often worth trying. And they have breakfasts, too.

Now if only that guy on the wait staff would get a clue about refilling water glasses, clearing plates, etc.

if entrees are $180, how much is a main course?

Language gap - North Americans (of which cranky laowai is one) refer to the main course as an “entree”, whereas for Commonwealth folks it is a separate dish that comes before the main course.

Visiting for a month from nyc. Any must go restaurants or bars in Tianmu? Any specific must have dishes?
Also looking for cocktail bars/speakeasies.
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I highly recommend Zhishan MRT station, which will take you right into the centre of the city where all the fancy restaurants and bars you’re looking for are.

5 Likes

https://goo.gl/maps/pYaLemMPMHW9pxNq8

3 Likes

Lili has good Chinese food, good atmosphere, very friendly owners and staff very friendly to visitors and all speak English.

4 Likes

Jai Ho is very close too. I enjoyed the food the one time we went there.

Moksha

Looks like at least 2 other branches in central Taipei.

On the list.

The a la carte dishes at Moksha’s Daan branch are excellent. But that’s not in Tienmu, so it’s not for this thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

Pretty easy, get the R12 or 645 from Shipai Station.

1 Like

There are 3 curry houses next to/behind Tianmu East Road and Shinkong Mitsukoshi: the grey one, the red one and the one round the corner. All of them are good but my personal choice is the grey one.

JB’s Diner has a wide range and is open all day till evening. There’s also Miopane which is vegetarian and great.

For good old Taiwanese grub there’s The Pie and Porridge or Fangs. If you want to wander down to Sogo then you have Din Tai Fung plus Cold Stone Creamery next to it.

Finally, there’s Luteria’s on section 6 of Zhongshan North Road. Excellent pastries, cakes and bread. The coffee is pretty nice too. This outfit is serious about their products and have the bakery next door. I actually spoke to the owner once and he explained he and his chefs often fly to France to test and agree on new materials before importing them.

Anyway, I hope that helped.

2 Likes

For local food, I would second the recommendation for Song Jiang Pie and Porridge. I never visit without getting their fantastic thick fried noodles (beef or pork). I would also recommend Fangs 方家小館.
The food stalls on the second floor of the Shidong Market are a good choice. Mi Fen Tang (stall 137) is a popular spot with great dishes. It is crowded but worth the wait.

Just a little hike off of Dongshan Rd is a restaurant in an old country house serving thoughtfully prepared homestyle Taiwan food. It feels far removed from the city and the atmosphere is relaxing and rustic. And because it is in Tian Mu, the menu is also in English. 古厝茶緣 No. 29號, Alley 81, Lane 25, Dongshan Rd, Shilin District, Taipei City, Taiwan 111

For bars, now that the Wicked Wolfpack is closed for good, I would suggest the little bar that is connected to the Lutetia bakery. It is a tiny but lively spot. The Patio Bar and Grill is a nice typical bar has a good selection of Taiwan craft beers. The Infinity Yes Lounge is a chill place to hang out.

2 Likes

Also, this one: Google Maps

Mr. Chee Kopitiam nr. MRT Station

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. They are all walking distance from me and will be going to all suggested places. Thank you all!!
I just went to a Cantonese bbq meat place on tianmu north road and wasn’t as good as NYC places (big wong).
I just ordered earlier today from Lutetia and it’s a great bakery.
Thanks!!

Cool, that’s new.

Such places in Taiwan, almost without exception, are a mediocre distant shadow of what they should actually be. The only one I can tolerate (and it’s not in Tienmu, so again outside the bounds of this thread) is Hawker Chan, a chain from Singapore (yes they have Cantonese folks there too) with outlets scattered around Greater Taipei.

Guy

1 Like

Been there a while. Steps from Zhishan MRT Station. Enjoy!

Guy

1 Like