Best taiwan airlines

Which is the best TAiwanese airline domestically to you? Which is the best internationally? and Why?

i guess there are no BEST Taiwanese airlines either domestic or international??

I take EVA Airlines to Canada, pretty happy with them. The Economy Deluxe seat is great, tons more room, for the price you pay.

Anything beats Air Canada.

they all have pretty bad records you know, seems to clash every once in a while.But I prefer to fly with Farestern domestically cos 1.they have smoother flights, 2. tastier cookies in their lounge,3.free upgrades to bussiness class when available ,4,they do not fly with propeller jets (I hate propeller jets).
International, hmm, not much to choose from you know.I fly with Eva-air some times if they have better schedules and if they have cheaper tickets.Never did China-airlines except for once when I was desperate, had to fly last minute and all that.

asianmom, FYI, EVA-air has never had a crash. Spotless record.

Mer, you’re right.When I said bad records I had the domestic air in mind, eg, when Farestern crashed in the mountain, Uni-air bursting into fire upon touch down etc. My only gripe with Eva-air is that they don’t always have computer games on their 747s,now that’s vital when you have two young kids and still wish to get some peace onboard.I fly quite a lot on Eva, really cos being the local air, they more often than not offer better schedules.And cheaper too.

notable domestic flight accidents/incidents:

Transasia Airways:

1. jan 30,95 ATR turboprop on ferry run mistook road in Taoyuan county for Sung shan runway. flying under VFR rules on a clear night crashed. 2 pilots , 2 cabin attendants killed. PILOR ERROR attributed.

2. dec 21 , 02 ATR on cargo flight encountered icing and crashed into the sea. 2 pilots killed. Seemed this type of plane has had similar incidents in Europe. MECHANICAL MALFUNCTION.

3. mar 22, 03 A321 landing in Tainan Airport struck vehicle on runway at night. Plane written off, no one killed among the 175 passengers. HUMAN ERROR on ground .

Far Eastern Air Transport

1. aug 22, 81 737 disintegrated at cruise because of structure failure due to severe corrosion on the 12 year old plane. all 103 perished. MECHANICAL FAILURE and Human Error for not spotting the corrosion in a timely fashion.

2. oct 25, 93 MD 80 . One engine failed on take off at Kaohsiung airport prompted return to airport. Plane failed to stop and crashed against a retaining wall. Written OFF , NO fatalities among the 160 onboard the two year old plane. MECHANICAL FAILURE (of engine) and PILOT ERROR (this type of landing should have been successful).

UNI AIRWAYS

1. aug 24, 99 MD90 landing at hualien airport suffered explosion and subsequent fire. 26 injured among 96 onboard, 2 critical (one later died) from burns. All may have perished had the explosion occurred earlier during the flight. Plane written off. former ROC decathelete Ku chin shui had asked his family to transport two bottles of gasoline (in bleach bottles) for him. The gasoline leaked and caught fire in the overhead baggage bin when in contact with a nearby battery upon landing. His brother was killed and he was sentenced to ten years in prison for illegal transport of banned substances onboard aircraft.

CHINA AIRLINES

1. 12 accidents listed here (5 domestic)
    airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/airl … a+Airlines

pls adv any mistakes or errors anyone. additions?

knowing about what happened helps to avoid similar accidents in future and helps to make aviation safer. Condolences to all killed of course

they’ve only been in operation for 15 years though… quite young still

China Airlines on the otherhand have been around since 1959

having said that… if I had to fly a Taiwanese airline, EVa is the only one I would fly with
have never flown CHina airlines and I never will

Ive flown both EVA and China Airlines, both International and domestic. I wanted to prefer EVA because of their record…but I really prefer China Airlines. The comfort, and quality of service has always exceeded EVA. I just refuse to fly EVA long haul anymore. EVA only if there is a BIG price difference for short flights, Ex < 2hrs.

I was just going to say exactly the same thing. Whenever I have a choice, I choose China Air. I guess I’m not really all that concerned about their past safety record, it’s all about the comfort and service.

I was just going to say exactly the same thing. Whenever I have a choice, I choose China Air. I guess I’m not really all that concerned about their past safety record, it’s all about the comfort and service.[/quote]

china Airlines has come a very long way in the last few years in terms of getting their act together. I understand Lufthansa is helping out there. Their service is now worldclass. Planes are new and first rate. Lots of money invested in training. And about a quarter of their pilots are foreign as well.

I think they are going to be better and better.

Some frequent flier said that even tho China Air has a higher percentage ratio of crashes, the difference is still pretty small compared to the number of flights the airline does in a year. So you are say 4 times a million more likely to crash then say one time a million. So its not a big enough concern.

iv flown China Air to europe, americas and all over asia and within Taiwan.

[quote=“tommy525”]UNI AIRWAYS

1. aug 24, 99 MD90 landing at Hualian airport suffered explosion and subsequent fire. 26 injured among 96 onboard, 2 critical (one later died) from burns. All may have perished had the explosion occurred earlier during the flight. Plane written off. former ROC decathelete Ku chin shui had asked his family to transport two bottles of gasoline (in bleach bottles) for him. The gasoline leaked and caught fire in the overhead baggage bin when in contact with a nearby battery upon landing. His brother was killed and he was sentenced to ten years in prison for illegal transport of banned substances onboard aircraft.[/quote]

Ku chin shui was acquitted.

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“tommy525”]UNI AIRWAYS

1. aug 24, 99 MD90 landing at Hualian airport suffered explosion and subsequent fire. 26 injured among 96 onboard, 2 critical (one later died) from burns. All may have perished had the explosion occurred earlier during the flight. Plane written off. former ROC decathelete Ku chin shui had asked his family to transport two bottles of gasoline (in bleach bottles) for him. The gasoline leaked and caught fire in the overhead baggage bin when in contact with a nearby battery upon landing. His brother was killed and he was sentenced to ten years in prison for illegal transport of banned substances onboard aircraft.[/quote]

Ku chin shui was acquitted.[/quote]

thanks for the update !!! can you explain why? did his claim that it was not gasoline but indeed bleach got him off? whats the scoop?

transasia runway incident report

asc.gov.tw/acd_files/GE536_Report_en.pdf