Best Taiwan Presidential Candidate for Foreigners and/or NWOHRs in Taiwan?

Could you imagine this guy interacting with visiting parliamentarians and other dignitaries? Good god I can just imagine the sorts of things that would spring out of his mouth.

Guy

3 Likes

Yes, what i meant is more along the lines of “fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me”. Certainly not all, but a lot aren’t really that naive to keep listening to his bullshit.

He is whacky, to say the least. I wouldn’t trust him under anesthesia, no matter how much he prefers it.

The problem is that his ‘gaffes’ are seen as expressing real views that many people share but are afraid to say. People like that even if they do not agree with his homophobia or misogyny, which his supporters see as just being ‘outdated’ views. He also gets a lot of mileage out of having (being?) Asperberger’s syndrome.

1 Like

Autism/aspergers is a bit of a roll of the dice, to be sure.

Hah, exactly what I was thinking.

It is interesting that he looks fresh whilst looking old and moldy at the same time.

2 Likes

Wasn’t he a trained doctor? I would vote for him even though he fucked the pooch with the Taipei Arena. Lai is a wet rag and Hou looks like a gangster.

We already know how he interacts with visting dignitaries. His comments about Bonnie Glaser are another taste of his suave politesse.

2 Likes

Redirect your comments to the correct poster. Thx.

I think a big thing to consider is Lai is most likely a continuation of pretty solid international track record under Tsai. One could hope anyway. And also hope he maintains taiwans dignity without selling out (like Ma) nor being extremist (like Chen)

Ko is a rude wild card that doesn’t really seem that smart nor experienced in getting things done. Loud mouthpieces that are hard on the ears like Trump actually accomplished things in business. Doctors are great and all, but its an entirely different thing to manage logistics, sensitivity etc. They tend to be fairly unsuitable in my opinion as a politician, and Ko has proven that not only on stage talking, but through office.

CKMT is a no brianer, I think most agree on them as being detrimental to taiwans future and safety.

2 Likes

FTFY

1 Like

I like the edit! And this reminds me of something I quite like about Taiwan: the tolerance for clowns (unfortunately present among some lawmakers and on the local scene) vanishes when it comes to electing a president. If you suck, you won’t win. I hope this tradition continues.

Guy

2 Likes

What did he say wrt the LGBT community? Im not following this stuff too closely so I may have missed it. A one off comment or repeated statements? Aimed at any particular part of the LGBT or just sweeping statements?

I linked this in the dedicated Ko thread. Apologies for the cross-posting (you can remove it if it’s not OK):

Guy

2 Likes

Did he teach that in his medical school courses?

1 Like

He is more popular with stupid people, not young people.

DPP isn’t lackluster at all. They have done very well in the past 8 years. Much better than leadership in other democracies.

Gou sucks, but Ko is the bottom of the barrel. Actually not even, he’s the worms infesting the bottom of the barrel. My real opinions of him would get me suspended.

Lmao. Young people don’t like that kind of stuff. Young people like tiktok.

If rambling about nonsense, appalling misogyny and racism, vomit-inducing narcissism, and being a pathetic mama’s boy is “authentic” then I guess yeah he is authentic

This stupid cunt has said “there is only one hole in gynecology”, whatever that means, “between women’s thighs is gynecologist’s bread and butter”, and “Taiwanese women without makeup would scare pedestrians”, as if he wasn’t a disgusting sight himself.

I keep him in my prayers … to Satan.

2 Likes

You’ve obviously never travelled in high diplomatic circles! :wink:

I remember hearing about an ROC diplomat shaking hands with an African dignitary in the early 2000s and thinking the skin color would rub off on his hands. Other long termers may remember this one.

2 Likes

Nah, lack luster. They are better than many. But that’s like saying cow shit smells better than chicken shit. But yes, there is no better alternative and they have done great things. It’s their shitty things they need to still work on.

Why do you think Guo is better than Ke P? Guo is literally ethic-less trash whereas Ko is just retarded and can only hope to hold the power that Guo’s secretary has. They aren’t even in the same realm.

2 Likes

No. They are better than most or even all. The past few years have been awful almost everywhere, but they completely avoided the worst. How’s that lackluster?

Ko is more trash than Gou. At least Gou keeps his mouth shut for the most part and doesn’t have rabid supporters like Ko does.

Also, Gou was never serious about politics. He’s a businessman. Foxconn isn’t great but it’s by far not the worst either, at least not in terms of shadiness.

The mouth shut and actually doing terrible things worries me more than the narcissist to be honest. though Ko’s autism is worrisome in a presidential seat, sure. One of those things. Guaranteed horrible, or an unknown risk from just dumb through to nuclear. Either way, Taiwan really doesn’t need either right now.

DPP, with all their faults really are the only viable option for a safe and free Taiwan. Lack luster based on actuality, not based on comparing to other trash. Comparisons can make a rotten apple looks amazing. The amount of corruption and fucked up decisions here are quite appalling (land, energy, water, food, environment etc). Just as a fact. I know China is worse, or some other country to compare to that cam easily make taiwan look amazing on paper. But that’s not a good metric to use if improvement is the objective :slight_smile: DPP is corrupt as shit and needs to manage things better. Just cause they are the best available doesn’t make them good by default.

In Taiwan, there are two camps. The pan brown and the pan brown. As in feces. :clown_face:

That foreigners go native and get all excited never ceases to amaze me.

5 Likes

Milestones achieved that have directly impacted my life in Taiwan:

2004‐ permanent residency allowed for white collar workers. Chen Shui Bian president- DPP.

2012- only need 5 years ARC to obtain APRC. Reduced from 7 years‐ MA Ying Jiu‐ KMT

2016‐ 180 day per year residency requirement to maintain APRC eliminated- MA Ying Jiu‐ KMT.

2017 to present - Nothing.

7 Likes