Best Taiwanese Dishes

A-gei has got to be one of the most disgusting dishes ever invented. Well, probably not as bad as that fermented shark…

So not the Taiwanese version? :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s subtly modified! I have a recipe from a Malaysian cook

There you go. That probably explains it. :grin:

2 Likes

Wow! You just typed all the dishes I love here in Taiwan! :yum: except ants climbing a tree & crossing the bridge noodles…never heard of these two??

2 Likes

A tasty dish consisting of fried vermicelli with ground pork and chili.

A Yunnanese rice noodle soup that can be found in Taiwan, but is much better in Yunnan.

4 Likes

Ahhh Pretty sure I’ve eaten this somewhere in the past.! Not a big fan of 冬粉 though…

Eaten this too in Vietnamese restaurants…河粉湯 is what they call it here I believe.

Similar, but not really the same dish.

I really like those oyster omlettes and the meat ball with the jelly skin.

1 Like

So tasty… :grimacing:

5 Likes

What if they have 3 cup cat?

I think it’s hard if you’re vegetarian. Taiwanese food is all about pork, chicken and seafood. The veggie stuff is almost always bland and boring.

1 Like

Because when a Taiwanese decides to eat vegetarian, they are doing it as penance or whatever, and it’s never meant to be for enjoyment. It’s always religious.

If you want good vegetarian food try Indian.

There are lots of great Chinese, Japanese and other cuisine that you can find elsewhere in Taiwan, but if we want to focus on things that are uniquely Taiwan, then you should give these a try:

Âng-tsîm bí-ko from Tainan city

Often written as 紅蟳米糕. It’s a glutenous rice dish cooked with a full crab. A more formal and luxurious entry. If you go to A-hâ, the restaurant famous for this dish, see if the Hue-thiu soup is in season. I mean, maybe people in other parts of the world also eat mudskippers, but it was eye opening for me the first time I tried it.

Uán-kué from Tainan

Often written as 碗粿. If you get uán-kué outside of Tainan, most likely it’s not going to taste the same. It’s bowl of savory steamed rice pudding. A good Tainan uán-kué is packed with flavor.

Siān-hî ì-mī from Tainan

Often written as 鱔魚意麵. If you get this outside of Tainan, it’s probably going to taste completely different as well. It’s basically stir fried rice eel noodled.

Beef soup from Tainan

People in Tainan eats this for breakfast…

Khòng-bah-pn̄g from Changhua city

Often written as 爌肉飯, 炕肉飯 or 控肉飯, Khòng-bah-pn̄g absolutely dominates Changhua’s food culture. It’s a piece of braised pork belly over plain rice.

Stone heated soup from Fata’an, Hualien

There are several places around the village of Fata’an where you can experience traditional palakaw fishing, where fish are caught using bamboo fish traps. The traditional way of enjoying the fish is to put it in a coconut leaf bowl, and heat it using super hot stones.

Cinavu from Taidong or Pingdong

Cinavu is the Paiwan version. A similar Pinuyumayan dish is called Avai. It’s a millet tamale looking thing with pork inside, wrapped with a layer of edible ljavilu leaf, and another outer shell of ginger leaf.

9 Likes

So well put. :grin:

3 Likes

I typed that word more than once, and that one came out a typo. Oh well.

3 cup cat…

No idea the veracity of this one…

2 Likes

Found the article.

OK, then three cup mushrooms!

Guy

2 Likes

The romanization of the Amis version I’ve had is Abai.

Recommended! :grin:

Guy

3 Likes