Best to exchange USD stateside or upon arrival?

So I found some older posts. But wondering what it’s looking like now.
I fly in from Baltimore next Friday. Plan on exchanging 10k plus.
Are there special exchange banks that give you better rates the more you change in one go? (There was one in Cancun I used to use back in the day. Had an account with em n everything. Would consistent tly give me a point over what XE or other banks offered, if I exchanged more than $500.
As the sum whent ilup, so did the rate, in my favor

Otherwise. Is the airport the best place? I figured chsnfingers here b4 goin where there is low demand for NTD would get me a worse rats…

The US$3 fee the ATM charges is all I get dinged with. My US bank doesn’t charge me. Rate doesn’t appear to be exhorbitant. I can pull NT$20,000 at a time.
Once i tried getting NT before I left and I won’t do it again. Fees galore.

1 Like

Change your money in Taipei airport on arrival or use an ATM like the other poster suggested. Definitely don’t bother changing for NTD anywhere else.

1 Like

A third option - probably not as good as what Bree suggested - is to bring it and deposit it in a USD account in Taiwan. That way you can change it to NT as you need it. Fees vary but you do have full access to your money.

Got it. Thanks guys. Yeah. I might exchange a chunk upon arrival and keep some in USD in a bank.
Unless, the exchange rate is the best at airport. I know it is in Mexico…

If your exchanging $10000+ US dollars then you want to go to one of the banks in Taiwan after you leave the airport. They will up the rate for large amounts of US Dollars which is a desirable currency for them.

The limit into Taiwan used to be 10,000 US dollars so you better check that also first. I forget right now.

Please note that when bringing in more than 10k USD you need to declare it at customs or risk confiscation.

You also need to declare more than 10k USD when leaving the U.S. or it will be confiscated. See FinCen 105. See also civil asset forfeiture for what may happen to you on the way to the airport if local law enforcement gets its hands on you.

Thanks y’all. I was under the understanding that it was 10k per person. So was gonna take undern20k.
Uncertain how it counts or doesn’t w children. My idea had been for my 4yr old daughter to take 9k.
After some thought (and lack of said 9k as expendable, potentially donated to the birds or some happy looking puppy by my daughter) we have decided it’s prob not the f
Greatest idea. Regardless of it’s technical legality.
We expect to spend a little over 18k US for the year for all of us. Housing food, school etc. Figured we would do mostly cash n some credit cards, as most of my cards are either not accepted or difficult to use there

You are of course welcome to bring more than 10k USD (in whatever currency or monetary form)–but you need to declare it on arrival and be prepared to explain where it came from and what it is for.

Guy