Best University Mandarin Courses in Taipei?

Hi all

I’m going to pursue a MBA degree in Taipei from September 2014 on - very excited about it!

I plan to spend three months on brushing up my Mandarin before that. I’ve studied Mandarin for a few months about 6 years ago and have forgotten about all the writing but still know how to speak on an above beginner level.

I have a scholarship for this that requires me to study at a University rather than at a private institute. I can spend up to approx. 20.000 NT$ / month on tuition. So I thought it would be a good idea to take group classes and complement them with private classes. That would also help me to bring my character knowledge closer to the level expected at slightly advanced group classes.

What are your opinions about this?

At this point, my preference is the Chinese Culture University (中國文化大學)? Any experience with this one or with other schools?

Also, I would love to use Pinyin rather than Bopomofo. Impossible at Universities courses in Taiwan probably?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

agricola

Stick a pin into a map. Makes very little difference which one you choose. Pick based on location, convenience, where a friend is studying. University centers largely use the same methods, the same materials, and even (at times) share the same pool of teachers.

What Ironlady said. The programs are all the same with the possible exception of NCCU, which I have heard is slightly better.

The program at NTU is more intensive and has more prestige with grad schools outside of Taiwan.

Most programs now use both bopomofo and Hanyu pinyin. It will really depend on the teacher.

Personally, I would choose a program in Eastern Taiwan or the south just because I would prefer to live in those places and they are cheaper. NCKU in Tainan or Tzu Chi in Hualien.

I’ve been there myself! I studied at Fo Guang University in Yilan which was very good actually. When I moved to Taipei and started my undergraduate studies at NTU I had to take Chinese classes again, and from what I saw, NTNU students were the best prepared (almost all of us had arrived at the same time and studied one year of Chinese at different Language Centers).

NTNU was the one that wrote the “Practical Audio Visual Chinese” books that are used all across Taiwan by foreign students. Also, most TOP Huayu exams are taken there (in addition to some other universities in other main cities) and they are probably the most prestigious in Chinese teaching.

Actually, most universes teach both Hanyu Pinyin and Bopomofo, and teachers tend to stick with the first one because students find it easier. Though NTU and NTNU students claimed they didn’t study Bopomofo at all.

So, if you get enrolled in one of the traditional and prestigious language centers, you should be OK. Try looking at NTNU, NTU and NCCU websites so you can find more about their programs!

Hope this helps!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9500 mediante Tapatalk

I wouldn’t say they are exactly the same. I attended 3 different university language centers in Taichung, and while they all used the same book, their pace was quite different. One went through a chapter a week, while another took about 3 weeks per chapter. With the latter school, when you finished a chapter you felt you knew it inside out, whereas with the former, it didn’t seem as thorough.

Another big difference is that most schools teach the book for 10 hours a week, and then have some other activity planned for the remaining 5 hours. In some schools it’s a culture class, whereas with others there are options you can choose from - such as business Chinese or something equivalent, which you may find more useful.

All the classes I took used pinyin, rather than bopomofo.

Many schools use the same teaching materials. The biggest factor in how much you absorb and keep is you. If you use your teachers as study guides and do the footwork yourself, you’ll be happy anywhere.

Thanks for your comments! They are very useful and will be considered. Still haven’t made up my mind but I believe I’m getting closer…

Any updates on nccu since this was a while ago?

Will be doing my doctorate. Since tuition is waived, I’m considering adding in the intensive Chinese course (in the event I quit my job). I have some savings and can possibly borrow money. Just thinking since I’ve been here how difficult many things are without knowing Chinese. Since I’m planning on staying here long term, maybe it’d be worth the investment?

I forgot to update, I found out that even if you have a tuition waiver, you’ll still have to pay to study Mandarin

1 Like