Best USA-based "digital" bank for expats?

I currently use HSBC since they are both in USA and Taiwan.

However, the USA account seems to be “migrating us to a different institution” with some vague wording about “moving forward”: This is worrisome.

I’ve recently been looking into this “digital-only” accounts that seem neat and expat-friendly. My requirements are pretty low:

1. Debit card must have a VISA or MASTERCARD debit card logo with contactless payment option.
  2. Allow international wire transfers (<=$35)
  3. Must have 0 foreign transaction fees. ATM fees are fine.

I don’t care about interest - I don’t really see banks as an investment platform in this generation (even safe stocks yield way more, but I digress).

Any ideas?

How about Wise?

Ha I do have an account with them and forgot. I think I previously only used it for transfers (HIGHLY recommended for international transfers!); the bank thing seems new. I’ll investigate :slight_smile:

Ok, so “Wise” initial research:

• They DO have contactless debit cards (Mastercard)
  • Their international transfers are better than wires - like $5 instead of $35.
  • 0 international fees, real exchange rates (unlike the bs that’s often like 23% instead of 27%ish)
  • BUT… there’s a catch: No NTD (yet). Then I have a USD account in Taiwan HSBC I could transfer to, but … you can’t transfer same currency [UNLESS THIS CHANGED RECENTLY! I recall this from 2y ago] USD<>USD is no go, and USD<>TWD is no go. I’d have to open a Euros account in HSBC TW in order to internationally transfer … but I’d only have like a $5 fee each time instead of $35+. Online transfer from EUR to TWD is instant, at least.

Not 100% ideal til they support NTD transfers, but it’s close. Maybe the closest I’ll get.

No news so far …

I was deceived.

1 Like

I use the same. Do you know if this is change is for everyone?

Not unless you got an email. If you did, let me know for curiosities sake. I feel in the dark. I’m worried if we may not be able to transfer to HSBC Taiwan for no fee and instantly anymore from the USA account.

Check Charles Schwab. Last i heard they were the best for having no atm withdrawal fees (including internationally) and no currency exchange fees.

Its kind of a brokerage account but functions perfectly fine as an international nomad online checking account with very low fees.

1 Like

Schwab is awesome, but no international wire transfers.

I ended up saying screw digital banks for now since I forgot I still need to show USA residency and not Taiwan (no one wants Americans abroad to deal with the extra burdons, not even American banks). So! I found this:

https://www.americansabroad.org/aca-membership/

If you become a member for like $70/yr, you get access to not only a bank, but a non profit credit union that has all the standard features and allows you to use your Taiwan address. And even allow a Taiwan non-American spouse to access the account officially. That bank is also free. No foreign transaction fees.

But… They have a weird “visa imposed” 1 percent fee on everything, including online transactions. Visa-imposed my ass though, I’ve never seen this before for any debit card. That’s the only red flag. Which is fine I guess, I usually spend with a credit card and auto pay it off each month that generally has perks.

I just got a Brex business account. I haven’t used it yet, but I’ll report back on my experience getting money to my tw business account.

Doesn’t come with Bill Pay unless you pay $50/mo? Oof. Bill Pay is standard in even cheapo accounts, so this is painful to see.