Best way to avoid / lower import tax

Yeah they pile three of them on a scooter. Or put them in a taxi with no car seat. No thanks.

Not to mention the constant threat of just crossing the street which has gotten better in Taipei in recent months.

I’m talking about public transit.

Not sure how it works for street legal stuff. But loads of people import vehicles and machinery be separating certain parts. Shipping engine, transmission etc separately as they have different tax %. Worth it for expensive stuff.

1 Like

Ever carried a stroller on a public bus? Driver doesn’t even give time for adults to get on and off.

Want to go up to Yangminshan for the day? Take three buses and carry all that stuff from bus to bus. You can make it work, but there’s better ways to live.

No, but I assume that a 20 kg computer on a dolly is worse. This is a regular occurrence for me. I moved my house on the bus. Last time I moved a PC was today.

Why are you living on Yangmingshan when your job is in the city? I commute too.

No I mean if you want to take a day trip to the mountains hiking or go to the beach it is so much easier to do that in a car. Unless you just stay in the city the whole time, there are places that are just easier to access by car.

1 Like

But I could just simply hire a car for those off-days when I absolutely need one.

1 Like

Again doing that with kids is not as easy…you need car seats. Getting an Uber with a car seat is not easy and hiring a car you have to arrange in advance.

I did it all. Worked out a deal with an Uber driver who had a car seat for awhile, used irent and finally just got a car. So much happier now.

1 Like

That’s pretty amazing, you didn’t have things like beds, sofas, furniture in general to move like a dining table or anything?

1 Like

You’re the one driving the car. You can buy your own seat.

Uber doesn’t do car hire.

You mean irent? That gets pricey and not always close by when need it.

If you know a driver who’s willing to do it, they do. I mean they drive for you.

Mattress I tossed on the day I officially vacated. It was a Japanese layout house so mattress was on the floor. It was getting yuck anyways.

Chesterfield I disassembled into its IKEA components and stuffed them into the back of a taxi station wagon.

My TV stand I abandoned because the new house had one and the old one was from the damaged goods section at IKEA. I modded the drawers cause they sucked. Not worth keeping.

Everything else i carried or wheeled onto the bus. TV, PCs, parts, kitchen stuff, etc…

I even brought the coffee table onto the bus.

3 Likes

Irent, Avis, Carplus etc…

Many car hire companies.

When you hire the car, you drive it yourself.

Because bus drivers are paid by how much route they drive, so they have every incentive to hurry up and don’t give a shit about safety. Bus companies are probably one source of traffic accidents in Taiwan.

They also get steep fines for every “mistake” they make. One told me they are docked 9000nt for each customer complaint. I don’t know why this is even legal.

I’m telling you I did it for two years. I’m aware of all the options. They don’t compare to having your own car when you have kids and tons of stuff to take wherever you go.

A TV might be heavier to move but at least it doesn’t pee on itself, throw up, talk back etc.

2 Likes

There is no comparison to taking a car in and around Taipei especially if you have parking on both ends (like from home to work). Taking a car can easily be 1/3rd of the time of taking public transit and usually better. And if you have kids, forget about it.

I see people getting out of topic… I don’t live in Taipei, not interested in public transportation nor rent…

Anyone knows a way to buy a nice car without to a more decent price?

Yes do not buy it new. Buy it second hand.

1 Like

A car is like about 15,000nt a month or more though, and that’s not including the cost of the car (or their payments). Plus I can’t drive for shit, and even in the states I depended on public transport (which sucks in a MAJOR way, they punish you if you use them). But public transport is better for the environment.

Now if you want a decent car without importing them, then I don’t know, buy it used or something.

Stick with the made in Taiwan cars. Honda, Nissan, and a few others have factories here. You’ll find the most reasonable prices if it’s not imported.