Best & Worst District to Live in Taipei?

As the name suggests, Da’an park is in Da’an District.

As the name suggests, Da’an park is in Da’an District.[/quote]

Oops, I always forget that the border of Zhongzheng turns and goes down Hangzhou S. Rd instead of continuing down Xinsheng. But still, from where I live in Zhongzheng, Da’an Forest Park and Youth Park are both equidistant–less than a 10 minute bike ride in either direction along small low-traffic lanes. It may not be in Zhongzheng, but Da’an Park feels like part of the larger neighborhood at least for those of us who live in eastern Zhongzheng.

Well, you know I’m partial to Da’an, especially the park, and let’s not forget Alleycat’s and the Yongkang St. restaurants and shops, Shida night market–all are in Da’an.

My 2C as follows.

Always stayed around Minsheng/Fuxing when visiting hotel / serviced apartment. Now living here and staying on Yen Ji Jie just behind Zhong Shiao and close to Xin Yi district.

GF has always stayed on or close to Zhong Shiao and when we were looking we trued to get anywhere between Mingsheng Fushing and Zhongshiao Keelung. It is central enough, close enough to transport and there are plenty of places to eat/drink.

You won’t really know what suits you until you get here and look around…good luck.

NeiHu! NeiHu! NeiHu!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. We have a better understanding of the different districts and we will keep looking for the right one that fits us best.

Carlos & Skye
www.cdnmagic.zoomshare.com

Hsing Yi distict- come live withe the Wu Shing Street Hillbillies. Best to be on the wrong side of the tracks ( Zhuang Jing Road) or the rent is sky high.

Datong District is the “other” Old Taibei (other than Wanhua). It is rather run down but has a certain grimy charm. Few visible foreigners live here and as far as I can make out there are also fewer of the less visible ones (south-east Asians). I don’t know of any Forumosan other than myself that lives in Datong. Bob lives quite near me but he is over the border in Zhongzheng District. There used to be a little colony of slightly hippy-ish Westerners living over a shop on Minle Street - I don’t know whether they are still there. Join the elite - live in Datong.

I disagree. I have offices near Taipei 101 and on Sungjiang Rd. I’d hate to live anywhere up there with a passion! (Apart maybe from those places up on the hill near the country club).
I have a 40-minute daily commute which is ANYTHING but a waste of time for me as it allows me to live in an area I like very much.

Wan Hua - that’s truly got to be the worst. It just feels different as you drive into it.

Yangming Shan! Nice views and fresh air. 15-20 mins to Tien Mu, Jian Tan, Shi Lin and hop on the MRT to wherever you need to go. Helps to have a car but best place to live if you want to live out of the city but close to it at the same time.