Best & Worst District to Live in Taipei?

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are moving to Taipei this June and we were wondering if we could get some insight into which District is the best or worst to live in Taipei. We are not new to living in Taiwan, but this will be our first time living in Taipei. We want to live in the city and not so much into the county. Another big plus is to live close to an MRT Station. We know Taipei is a huge city, but we have no idea on which district/part to live in. Any suggestions? Thanks everyone!!

Carlos & Skye
BC, Canada
Taipei 2006 :slight_smile:

I like Muzha…oh wait, I was supposed to keep that a secret :banned:

Worst -Sanchong and Hsinjuang

Best -Tienmu and Minsheng Community (Minsheng E. Rd sections 2,3,4, and 5 and all the sidestreets along the way)

If you want to combine MRT with some green, then you’ll have to live either up north - Shilin and Beitou along the Danshui line - or in the southeast - Muzha.

As to the downtown areas, the western parts are generally older and poorer - Wanhua - while the east is cleaner, modern, has more shops, but is of course also more expensive.

Some areas out east - Neihu - will have better MRT connections a few years from now, if you don’t mind the wait until 2008-2009.

Skye wouldn’t happen to be from the White Rock/Crescent Beach area would she?

I love Muzha. Quiet. And the air isn’t nasty.
I’m currently right between Muzha and DaAn. Loving it.

The most expensive properties in Taipei are on Renai Road in Daan District, in the area close to the Renai Circle…most consider this to be the core, and you have easy access to transportation to any other part of the city…Renai Road is also a beautiful tree-lined road that is relatively quiet running through the heart of Taipei City…I think you will enjoy it…

I’d say Hsinyi District.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]I love Muzha. Quiet…isn’t nasty.
I’m currently between Muzha and Da’an. Loving it.[/quote]

And I love you too. But wait a second, who’s this Dan guy? :fume:

I vouch for Song Shan district. Down in my hood, which is Minsheng Community (Minsheng East Road Section 5) and Nanjing East Road Section 5, we get tons of buses running north to Neihu, south to the downtown area, and southwest to Shi Da area. Though we don’t have MRT here, the closest one is MRT SYS Memorial Hall or MRT Nanjing East Road.

This area is far enough from downtown, and with lots of old folks, children, and young families. The age group in between is completely wiped out, which is good. No party animals, no dumb ass yuppies. It’s a loverly area. Research it: “Song Shan District,” near the domestic airport.

You’re welcome.

I currently live in Muzha but if I were to live in the city again it would be around Da-An (fills or your criteria) or in the area between Dun Hua and San Min Roads and Nanjing and MinQuan but its not that close to a MRT.

I currently live in Muzha but if I were to live in the city again it would be around Da-An (fills or your criteria) or in the area between Dun Hua and San Min Roads and Nanjing and MinQuan but its not that close to a MRT.

And that folks, is the Song Shan district.

Districts, the OP asked for districts…

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“SuchAFob”]I love Muzha. Quiet…isn’t nasty.

And I love you too. But wait a second, who’s this Dan guy? :fume:[/quote]

Sorry. You know. I’m rebounding. Gotta keep my options open for now… you know how it is. I mean I don’t mean to be bad to you, it’s just that I… hey… who is that?..

Thanks for all the suggestions. We’re also wondering how good the bus system is? If we decided to live in a little ways from an MRT line, how easy is it to take the bus?? Are there English maps for buses? Can you buy monthly passes for the MRT/Buses? or are they seperate passes? Thanks again for all the responses…they are really helping a lot!

Carlos & Skye
BC, Canada
Taipei 2006
www.cdnmagic.zoomshare.com

ps Skye is not from Cresent Beach, but her best friend lived there for a while.

[quote=“cdnmagic”]Thanks for all the suggestions. We’re also wondering how good the bus system is? If we decided to live in a little ways from an MRT line, how easy is it to take the bus?? Are there English maps for buses? Can you buy monthly passes for the MRT/Buses? or are they separate passes? Thanks again for all the responses…they are really helping a lot!

Carlos & Skye
BC, Canada
Taipei 2006

ps Skye is not from Cresent Beach, but her best friend lived there for a while.[/quote]

If public transportation is your forte, then by all means, buy an MRT card. It is good on the buses and the MRT system. You fill it up at any MRT station. Kind of like a transportation debit card.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“SuchAFob”]I love Muzha. Quiet…isn’t nasty.

And I love you too. But wait a second, who’s this Dan guy? :fume:[/quote]

A lot of chicks complain that Muzha has no 101.

[quote=“cdnmagic”]Thanks for all the suggestions. We’re also wondering how good the bus system is? If we decided to live in a little ways from an MRT line, how easy is it to take the bus?? Are there English maps for buses? Can you buy monthly passes for the MRT/Buses? or are they separate passes? Thanks again for all the responses…they are really helping a lot!

Carlos & Skye
BC, Canada
Taipei 2006

ps Skye is not from Cresent Beach, but her best friend lived there for a while.[/quote]

The sticky in this section of the forum called “Taipei Bus Lines” has a link to a page where there are two great maps for Taipei bus lines…with that in hand, you can pretty much go anywhere in Taipei City…but be warned that Taipei bus drivers are usually rude…and they seldom run on time…but they provide great transport to parts of the city where the MRT doesn’t service…

Sorry, but is Muzha considered to be in ‘Taipei’?

What happened, did it move?

Yes, of course Muzha is in Taipei. It’s part of Wenshan District. Oh, you’re trying to be funny.

I think living close to where you work is very important to your happiness in Taipei. Commuting is a waste of time and energy. I like Zhongzheng District myself. Lots of quiet lanes, convenient to the MRT, close to the river-side parks, Daan park and access to Wulai.