Betel nut usage drops to under 7%

Amazing public health accomplishment.

4 Likes

Especially over the past decade or so,even the farmland is gradually shifting to other crops.

5 Likes

The government has a program whereby it pays farmers to remove binglang trees and help them plant other trees or crops. Was recently in Lugu and the farmer there has now planted Ku Cha tea trees instead.

6 Likes

When I arrived in Sanchong twenty years ago, there was binlang spit all over the streets and sidewalks. Now it’s rare to see any. On my ten minute walk to work, I would pass 12 or so stalls. Now there’s only one. I think when the government stopped the stalls selling alcohol and cigarettes, it really fucked them. That, and the cancer awareness program.

5 Likes

The good ole days…

2 Likes

Yeah. You could do “Head and Shoulders” in an illegal kindy while holding a beer, as long as you didn’t fall over or spit binlang juice on a kid’s head.

1 Like

Luckily ever betel nut store i see still carries tobacco and alcohol. I dont hink that has changed. Even when i visit taipei i buy beer there if we are out and about.

1 Like

Maybe you should see if they stock keyboards with Shift keys.

1 Like

That would be a wierd. They sell drugs, not office supplies.

Areca, ethanol, nicotine, sugars and caffiene.

What’s a “wierd”?

Yeah, even down here in the heartland of binlang in Taitung it’s mostly old people still chewing,

I thought that was Taoyuan.

What’s a spelling nazi, Alex?

2 Likes

Even wierder than weird that’s what.

1 Like

Fixed it for you, my deepest apologies!

1 Like

Maybe overall the usage has decreased…but here in the countryside around my house in Hualien the usage is still high…men and women. And for the various workers who build out house…well, betel nuts + whispy/beer concoctions…man, the usage was high. When we had alot of workers at our work site I could collect 20 beer cans and 10 whispy bottles every day.

I wonder what the cigarette figures look like. The number of young people I see smoking here still surprises me.

1 Like

Still part of the working culture. I bet productivity would increase for Taiwan if people stopped.

In Taipei vaping seems to be gaining in popularity among young people while smoking declines. This is consistent with what has already been happening for awhile in the west.

The best part about the betel but stalls was the meth.

1 Like