Better than putting a chip in your dog?

I just read derekoby’s post about fostering a dog…spending 18,000nt on it. And the family that took it lost it within the first week :fume: .

Someone mentioned putting a chip in it’s ear, for identification.

But personally I can’t imagine anyone ever checking for one. This is Taiwan. Even if the dog gets picked up by some dog catchers you think they’ll take the time and effort to use an electronic device to scan their ears?

Maybe I’m wrong…but a much more practical method would be to…

Write your phone number on their collar. As well as a “If lost call…” in Chinese.

People often notice the writing on her collar when she’s with me. And usually comment on it being “smart”. You might even want to add in a “for reward call…”

The chip might be a good idea…but this couldn’t hurt either.

is this just a way of advertising your phone number for the ladies?

I doubt it. Didn’t you read the other thread? He prefers his ladies to look like the star of Baywatch. These aren’t many ladies here who look like David Hasselhof.

…eeeeek!

What’s better than putting a chip on your dog ? Putting your dog on a chip

Ahem, yes…well. Point is if you don’t want to worry too much about losing your pet. I suggest writing your number on their collar.

You’re inviting doggienappers to seek a ransom.

At the pet shop at the corner of Linsen North and Minquan East Roads (near the Combat Zone), they sell tags that they can engrave for you, and little capsules with paper slips inside them on which you can write your pet’s details. It is a good idea to do this as well as getting the dog a chip. By the way, the chip goes in the loose skin of the dog’s neck, not in its ear.

I can imagine that one thing that might put people off doing what you suggest is the possiblity of the animal being kidnapped for ransom. That kind of thing can happen in Taiwan.

(Posted at the same time as Tigerman - suggests it’s not just my paranoia.)

No, it’s just your paranoia. I often leave my dog outside by herself.

Engravings on tags…capsules with paper in them. All of which would involve holding onto the dog and putting your face near the dog’s face to get a close enough look. Not many Taiwanese would do that. Much easier to just shoo the dog away.

You can read my phone number easily enough while standing a few feet away from my dog. Plus if anyone tried to examine something closely on my dog…she would bite them.

Most people won’t touch a stray. So writing the number on the collar is the only easy way for the dog to be helped.

I have to agree - plus, how many locals would know to open one of those capsules? They’re pretty rare here.

I think writing the number on the collar is a good idea, though the ransom thing would be a concern, it would ensure you get your dog back. :wink:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I have to agree - plus, how many locals would know to open one of those capsules? They’re pretty rare here.

I think writing the number on the collar is a good idea, though the ransom thing would be a concern, it would ensure you get your dog back. :wink:[/quote]

Well the reward thing was just an idea. My own dog’s collar just says “if found call:…” (I think).

And either I’m with the dog…so they can’t take it. Or I’m not…in which case she’s lost…
…the exception of course is when she’s doing her own thing in the park…but if anyone came near here she would put distance between herself and them…or she would come home.