Beyond Burger and Plant Based Meats

When you say contaminated do you mean using excessive amounts of it, where “it” is whatever growth promotant or antibiotic they add?

They are crammed in an unnatural environment so you need antibiotics for when they get sick, and other nasty stuff to make them produce quality meat (edit: I mean containing the right proportion of flesh/fat/muscle) even though they are sat in a stall all day. That we all know, what I am interested in is whether these additives are used responsibly.

Yes antibiotcs and growth hormones are a a couple things. But my post was more thinking about excessive pesticide and herbicide residues on grain and seed inputs is often pretty nasty. Rotten and spoiled by products also make a large portion. But thats also isnt high up the list of things to worry about.

Having to use drugs because they raise them poorly doesnt often equate to quality pork IMO.

Hard to find anything other than factory raised meat here. Consumers are just not demanding anything else. There is one that claims pasture fed, “Herb pork”, but very hard to find any real info…

Where does the replacement for leather come from, oil?

You can get some from farmers who raise them on the hills. Not too common I think.

Agreed. A serious problem worth fixing.

TGIF has it if anyone cares.

1 Like

The struggle is real

2 Likes

Meanwhile…arthritic 80 year olds are growing their own food free on gov land everywhere on bicycles. Oh, how busy we must be.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Anywhere down south with these burgers?

Small patches that fit on bicycles!

And the Darwin award of the year goes to…

1 Like

I you get food leftovers from people wouldn’t you be happy it’s any good food?

1 Like

I’ve heard family mart is going to start selling their veggie burgers. Anyone seen them?

A post was split to a new topic: Lab-Grown Real Meat Goes on Sale For the First Time

I’m eating Beyond Burgers now. They’re pretty good for what it is, which isn’t meat. Thanks for ruining them for me you bastards. :rage:

2 Likes

Citysuper lots of curious choices.

They are even faking a fake. Spam.

1 Like

Hahaha. Cant be worse can it? Have you tried any? I have tried the omni pork at the dumpling chain and the burgers at mos burger when they had them. Not a fan of omni pork. The burgers are nice,but they are 500 for 2 at the grocery store so we pass.

500 for 2? I know the Beyond Meat founder was saying that people would stop eating meat if a better and cheaper alternative was available (ala "we stopped using whale blubber because we found others oils that are cheaper and easier to find), but that’s way more than the meat version.

I think Taiwan has totally missed the mark on “switching over from animal products”. Oat/almond/hemp, etc. “milk” in the US is ~US$2/qt (~1 liter). Here they charge at least NT$200 (US$6.6+) for the same product (maybe NT$180 for almond milk) and have no store brands to choose from. Cow’s milk itself is already so expensive here; you’d think something that can often be sold shelf-stable would be cheaper due to no refrigeration needs. (yes, I know there’s shelf-stable cow’s milk, but I’ve never seen it here)

I tried a sample of Beyond Burger at Costco once…whoever said they taste “just like real burgers” is so very wrong. Or the samples preparer failed. The funny thing is that I had put those on my shopping list the day I sampled them. I don’t really care if they don’t taste like burgers; I couldn’t get behind the taste or the texture just in general and I’m quite glad I didn’t waste my money on them.

Here’s a new one Nature’s Fynd, making Fy protein into food.

Beyond meat is 100 NT$ a burger.