Beyond Burger and Plant Based Meats

You might want to look up the BMI of veggies vs meat eaters and the IQ while you’re at it lol.

Also, the only thing I miss about the states in all the vegan food. :frowning:

I was responding to the post above about omni burgers, which apparently are 2 for 500. And then I brought up Beyond because I’ve never heard of Omni Pork until just now and I don’t know what their founder has to say :laughing: .

Still, 100 for one meatless burger from the grocery store when a sleeve of like 20 beef burgers from Costco is like 800 is a huge cost difference. I’m not saying there isn’t a potential quality difference, but even in the US, I’m pretty sure meatless products are only a little more than their meat counterparts, not many times as much.

Correction: It’s $599 for a pack of meat burgers from Costco, though I don’t know how many there are in a pack, the pack is at least a foot long. As of my April shopping trip, it was $619 for 8 Beyond Burgers)

That’s a Hong Kong company

1 Like

Costco
Beyond Meat Frozen Burgers 113G X 8 Count
$739

Yikes! That’s a 16% mark-up from just a few months ago! (Or they might have been on sale when I checked…)

It’s the online store price. I think in-store is cheaper.

1 Like

I’ve tried the fake meats at the many vegetarian pay-by-weight like restaurants. Suprisingly tastes ok and I’m almost sure tastes better than the new fad mass produced ones.

The newer fake meats can be full of things that aren’t necessarily the best for the body.

Sorry, my bad. $499 for 2…too expensive. Clearly wholesale must be cheaper because i paid 180 at mos burger and it was cooked, prepped and about twice as thick! Same brand, unless they were lieing. The interesting thing, as per taiwans typical lack lustre attention to details, the mos burger chain would always say they fried the buger in the same oil they use to fry their mreal meat meat. This was insanely retarded to me as they just literally doubled their price to the consumer for something that is very cool, but sub par, and they cut out the entire market share they were aiming at by making their vegetarian burger non vegetarian. fuck me. When w lived inbjapan, they had no succh problems and.they had a vegetarian burger option for nearly all of their burgers. And they are notoriously pro meat, hard to eat vegetarian…taiwan on the flip side has been MASSIVE vegetarian market that is only now starting to get exploited by fast food/convenience stores. Which frankly makes me speechless considering the financial gains involved.

I agree with you on price. But this is standard in taiwan. Too many middle men jacking up prices, it is not unique to fake meat. In fact fake.meat is typically cheap here compared to the west. But when somethung.gets fashionable due to marketing and all that, They GOUGE the public. Quite frankly it makes me.lose respect for tgat whole sector as thye have no.morals.in the game, only profit margins. So the whole Buddhism vegan fantasy can quite frankly fuck right off with their moral high ground farce. This coming from a person in the industry, Not as a consumer. It is as fake a moral high ground as their product is a fake meat. A mentioned a our nearest rt mart, 500 for 2. The taiwanese made knes are almost half that price. Middlemen. Everythig is the same here. Only giant companies can supercede the agent given the rights to the taiwan market (eg. Costco)

This goes back to what i said way further up, no one should claim that vegetarian is healthy. Most of us are eating vegetarian because we are either moral towards animal cruelty or we follow a cult type leadership that tells us what to do. Vegetarians that claim health are divided into 2 groups.

1. Liars.

2. A very small minority that are actually working hard to lear about nutrition and go above and beyond to help protect animals. This group seems incredibly small in reality, despite many people claiming otherwise. I hold massive respect for these people as they are actually making.it work and.proving the haters wrong. I wish i was so dilligent to do a such, but i am not so cannot claim such health benefits from vegetarianism.

As a example. I am actually vegetarian. I LOVE meat, but i will not support the cruelty involved with its production. That said, i have killed many tens of thousands of animals, but i chose to do it humanely (mostly to feed predatious animals, not humans). As such, i would be fine hunting, except the reality that it is not sustainable in the least. Especially in taiwan given our serious over population to land size ratio problem. Hunting just isnt a long term sollution if we run numbers. Food waste is probably the biggest thing that needs to be tackled. Every time i go to the city and eat out, I notice tables with vast amounts of uneaten food, including dead animals, which makes me incredibly dumbfounded. If its our table, i normally order little and eat others left overs because i know they will just order because they have money without the thought about the real costs of said food. It is really quite disgusting!!! And to think, I used to be one of those assholes that looked down at people saving the leftovers and “eating scraps”. Thankfully i evolved, but i was a dick in the past as are many now. Its embarrassing to be honest.

I never said i was using BMI as well index for being an idiot… though there is better tasting vegan.food in.the usa, there is WAY more in taiwan! But taiwanese still like to eat heavily processed garbage, even the vegans. Never mind the thiught control over even the vegans in not allowing the 4 desires of veggies that are relly truly delicious and healthy. If anyhing is proof of brainwashing cults, thats it.

I think vegetarians ought to align with the reason for being vegetarian (environment, animal cruelty, health, religion and etc) rather than just saying i am vegetarian so i am healthy…and ongoing judgement to ensue.

So again, i will say as i did before, many people are not vegetarians because they are healthy. Ora, at least, most people that are doing this to be healthy arent putting in the time an leg work to understand how nutrition works and they are like me: unhealthy but unwilling to horrendously torture other sentient beings for a quick fix tongue satisfaction.

1 Like

I think Beyond also talked about this when they introduced their burgers to major food chains – the goal never was getting more vegan food for vegans but rather normalizing meatless alternatives for the average person. I think Burger King (at least in the beginning) was cooking all the patties on the same grill…

This makes me laugh. I was eating at a temple (“real buddhist vegetarian meal!”) once and I was 100% certain the “vegetarian” chicken nuggets were actual chicken nuggets, straight from McDonalds. I said to the table something to the extent of “wow, they really did an amazing job of making this taste like chicken nuggets” and someone said “that’s because they are”. Good to know some people know they’re not hiding anything…

I don’t know how I feel about that. Costco isn’t “that bad” as mega companies go, but part of the reason small supermarkets in the US go under is that big brands are able to sell food at prices lower than small stores can even purchase them from the supplier at. At the same time, you’d think the presence of Costco and the comparatively (much) lower prices would force the middleman to stop taking so much.

Funny you should mention this. I tried going vegetarian for environmental/ethical reasons and I was so hungry all the time that I decided to stick with “meatless Mondays”. I knew a lot of vegans and vegetarians growing up who got so annoyed with people who asked them how they got enough protein, but I was even more frustrated with an internet full of “in modern times, we actually get more than enough protein from other sources already”. Great, but I’m hungry and I’m eating at least three portions of balanced vegetarian meals with each meal. Clearly I’m not getting enough protein. (That being said, unless I’m at Texas Roadhouse, I eat two or more servings of food generally or eat 6-8 full meals a day. I’m 180 cm and 52 kg, so I really don’t know where the food goes…)

I mean technically anything that isn’t for animal rights is plant based diet not veggie/vegan. I noticed plant based people dgaf if they offend actual vegans though. :upside_down_face:

I had to go vegetarian last year for a bit and bought Beyond burgers. Then I could eat meat again. The Beyond Meat is in the back of the freezer, beyond the frozen kale.

1. Costco has Almond milk for 40nt/liter.

2. Every supermarket has Tetra Pak cow milk.

Give us an example of what you’d eat in a day. @finley asked you about if before, but you never responded AFAIK. I’m willing to bet I know what the problem is.

1 Like

That’s interesting - I also keep mine in the back of the freezer, but behind the frozen blueberries. They might evolve back into meat in a couple of billion years…

(They weren’t actually that bad - I think I ate four or six of the eight I bought from Costco while they were on special offer…then didn’t bother again for some reason. I wouldn’t be willing to buy them at full price.)

You know veganism is bad for the environment…right?

1 Like

My phone is too messed up and i cant quote. @nz
Sure vegetarians get hungrier faster because the food digests faster and doesnt sit as long inside our system. There are debates as long as time whether or not that is good. All i keep pointing out is that most vegetarians are not spending the time to actually eat “right”. At the same time, people eating oily fried crap at cheap breakfast shops for breakfast, $60 lunch boxes for lunch and mcdonalds for dinner are also not eating healthy. This type of diet is absurd in how common it is.

I think the only sure thig is that meat digests slower than most plant based goods, and as such the hunger level for vegetarians strikes sooner. I dont think anyone debates this fact. On may also heckwater content of foods to inderstand probbaly 80% of this reason. I dont view this as a bad thing IF people are being responsible for their health in regards to food. In reality, most people are insanely lazy and dontspend time plannig meals and cooking healthy. Myself included. In fact this is really the main drawback for vegetarians is we always snack because we are LAZY and dont eat heavy long lastig meals. Even the oily.tofu everything with noodles dont last, regardless of them being heavy as all phuck!. And it is expensive to keep snacking all day. When i eat proper veggie meals made by good cooks, i last a good 4 or 5 hours of hard labor before needing to eat again.

This is a person problem, not sure vegetarian problem.

This is one thing we are taking more serious in our home to try and fix as we are still eating for shit due to workload. We plan on home made freezer meals to help us in the meantime.

Im curious your reasoning for that. It can be. It also can not be…any particular reasoning outside of the soy argumet?

I got busy… But I’m quite boring on my food so it’s quite consistent!

Morning:

1. Right when I wake up: a bagel with cream cheese and coffee + a tiny bit of milk or bagel with copious amounts (prob 4 TBS) natural Peanut butter and glass of milk (coffee then consumed later. Always one cup of coffee/day, no more, no less)
  2. About an hour later: two hard boiled eggs seasoned with salt + fresh orange juice or 1.5 cups of Greek yogurt with granola and honey

Midmorning through mid afternoon

1. ~11 am: overnight oats (put in 1/2 cup dried + 1/2 cup milk) packed with whatever add-ins (PB, cocoa powder, pumpkin seeds, chia, dried fruit…) or trail mix
  2. 12:30: if at work, it’s provided; at least 2 brimming plates of the dish o’ the day (male coworkers who are much taller than me give me crap about how much I’m eating than them on the first plate) (2 veggies, one protein, rice or pasta, soup)
  3. If at home: two chicken breasts (one pack that’d you’d get from Carrefour) or 1/2 cup lentils (before cooking) or 2 beef burgers (Costco) + two cups of veggies (usually just the frozen mixed Costco bag) + 1/2 cup of rice/quinoa/pasta + whatever sauce
  4. Afternoon “snack”: 6-8 balls of Falafel or meatballs. Or a 6" sub with extra meat and veg from Subway (don’t judge. it’s still better than 99.9% of every other sandwich shop this country, esp. at the price)

Dinner: A variation of what I made for lunch

~8:30 p.m. when hunger strikes again: a bowl of cereal or PB or cream cheese bagel or trail mix or just a bunch of dark chocolate

I can’t tell if he was being sarcastic or not.

As you say, it could be under certain circumstances, or it could be no problem at all.

Unfortunately the average discussion of the subject is designed to fit into three minutes and presents only one scenario or the other. As with most things, it’s complicated. However, the vision of veganism that’s being pushed right now worries me, because it basically involves Big Ag increasing their footprint and causing even more mayhem than they are right now.

I’m not.

I’m serious. But busy today will reply later.