Bible Passage of the Day

Isaiah 52:7
7 ¶ How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!

3 Likes
2 Likes

[Luke 21:25]

“And there will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on the earth distress of nations in perplexity because of the roaring of the sea and the waves,

1 Like

Stressful day?

Apparently it came and went:

“And I will show wonders in the heavens . . . before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes.”
— Joel 2:30-31

1 Like

Issah 5:20
“Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that count darkness as light, and light as darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter”

1 Like

I think apt for Forumosa new year

Isaiah 28:8
“All the tables are covered with vomit and there is not a spot without filth.”

4 Likes

I like this one.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Interesting. I always thought of it as meaning “From now on we will…”

1 Like

Yeah, no one would use it that way now.

1 Like

Yeah, me too. But it does seem to have this type of meaning in the context. Here’s another translation:

1 Samuel 7:12 (NIV)
Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, “Thus far the Lord has helped us.”

I believe the KJV is used in this devotional Streams in the Desert.

2 Likes

Yes given the present perfect tense in the KJV, it’s also totally clear.

2 Likes

“Thus far” is an almost perfect example of the present perfect tense.Thus far, I have found this thread interesting, so from “Here there to” I shall be following it.

I still often use the word “Thus” is that archaic ?

1 Like

This is henceforth

It means “until now” I see it used in changes to terms and conditions or contracts.

4 Likes

There are no tenses in Hebrew, only perfect or imperfect. Most of the time they translate it it past tense, sometimes past perfect.
עֲזָרָנוּ יְהוָֽה (Yahweh helped us)

2 Likes

Isaiah 26:3
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Something from a commentary on this verse that I really like: moreover, the word “perfect” is not in the Hebrew text, it is there “peace, peace”; which is doubled to denote the certainty of it, the enjoyment of it, and the constancy and continuance of it; and as expressive of all sorts of peace, which God grants unto his people, and keeps for them, and them in; as peace with God and peace with men, peace outward and peace inward, peace here and peace hereafter; and particularly it denotes the abundance of peace that believers will have in the kingdom of Christ in the latter day.

1 Like

I thought it was from Isiah? Dumb Jews, can’t even interpret their own book.