Bicycle repair tools

I have to replace the crank set on my bike. The local shop doesn’t have the part so I managed to get a warranty replacement from back in the US. I’m figuring I’ll just install the thing myself but need a pedal puller. Do any of the bike shops in Taipei carry bike tools?

Cheers

Pedal puller?

Do you mean pedal spanner?
Bottom bracket tool?
or Crank tool i.e.; crank puller?

[quote=“Steviebike”]Pedal puller?

Do you mean pedal spanner?
Bottom bracket tool?
or Crank tool i.e.; crank puller?[/quote]
I need a tool to remove the pedals from the square tapered crank spindle. Once the pedals are off i have the necessary tools to remove and replace the crank.

Pedal spanner!

Should be able to get from any Giant or Merida shop.

Some pedals have allen/hex bolt at the end of the pedal spindle. You had a look?

Great, thanks!

I believe the spindle has hex bolts.

[quote=“Steviebike”]Pedal spanner!

Should be able to get from any Giant or Merida shop.

Some pedals have allen/hex bolt at the end of the pedal spindle. You had a look?[/quote]

I replaced my Lezyne multi-tool with a mini ratchet and bits from King Tony.

I’m adding a few grams, although I could potentially remove the flat and the T25 bits if I replace the only two bolts that currently need them. I am also loosing the chain tool, although when I tried (several times with different chains) to break a chain with it I was actually closer to break a bone than the chain. There’s just not enough leverage.

Hi, I’ve never needed a rachet for road side repairs. I have something similar to this Topeak Hexus X Multi-Tool, $24US on Amazon. (Probably cheaper here.) I’ve used the tire levers many times over the years. Also recommend FIBERFIX Emergency Spoke Replacement Kit because it packs small and gets you home in a pinch.

I rarely need to do any repairs on the road. But I had the bits and saw this ratchet, which is a proper tool that I can also use at home, and thought about replacing the multi-tool, which barely have any leverage. This way I only have to carry the tools that my bike needs. My bottle cages have integrated tire levers.

The Topeak multi-tool looks clever.

Your bottle cages with tire levers sound clever to me.

They’re a bit expensive. Both the cage and levers work well.

3 Likes

See, this is where you use tubular tires and win. No need to carry tire levers at all!

Just a spare tubular tire and a pump. And maybe a back up car. So not so much of a win I guess.

2 Likes

So you can slide those cages off, or how they fit to the frame?

Regular bolts. The cage has a channel where the lever fits.

1 Like

I’ve got the same Guee Qing+ cages and would 2nd the recommendation. They’re very lightweight and they hold bottles securely while simultaneously it isn’t a struggle to pull bottles in & out like my Giant bottle cages.

1 Like

Their website says 28 g without bolts, but mine are 26.3 and 26.6 with bolts. This is including the tire levers. I was checking their website and they have slightly changed the design. Maybe it is a bit heavier now.

I’m very happy with them. They don’t rattle, which was a concern I had when I purchased them, and the bolts didn’t come loose after 1.5 years (I removed, cleaned and regreased them a few days ago). I also saved 31 g by replacing 1 Elite bottle cage plus 3 Decathlon tire levers with these 2 bottle cages/levers. With my tire/wheel combo, 2 levers are enough.

If they design the two levers to work as quick link pliers, it would be even better.

I forget the total weight for my set, but I weighed them without the levers and they were right around 17.5/18g so the weight-weenie in me was happy.