Bicycle shop for enthusiasts in Taiwan

Original Title: Perverts bike shop in Taiwan

I was chatting to Roel today about the lack of bike shops in TW with a large showroom full of parts like back home.

In the summer I visited a friend at a bike shop in the UK where they had a massive showroom full of parts. Want some pedals? Go and look on the pedal stand, there are 80 different ones to choose from. Want tyres? Look over there, 400 different ones to hold and feel before you buy.

It’s all made in Taiwan, why can’t you see it here?

Do you know of a big bike shop where you can go and see many aftermarket parts and accessories anywhere in this country?

If so, let us know!

I’ve not seen that selection except at trade shows, but honestly, why would the average consumer want that? Sounds more overwhelming that anything else. When I was back home I was in a large bike shop trying to select a good head light. How the hell do you choose with so much selection? In the end I just asked the sales staff for a recommendation.

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I am wondering why you think a lack of a 400 tyre selection is a bad thing?

[quote=“Mucha Man”]I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I am wondering why you think a lack of a 400 tyre selection is a bad thing?[/quote]As a consumer, I prefer to have more options. I have the choice to research the products before I make a decision to buy or I can just do like you did and ask for a recommendation. More options means a better chance at finding that special thing that works the way you need it to work.

I haven’t seen such a shop in Taiwan but I know that a good bicycle shop can source just about any part. And there’s always the internet.

[quote=“jaame”]

It’s all made in Taiwan, why can’t you see it here?[/quote]
I would posit that it’s because Taiwan bike makers are renowned for engaging in the practice of dumping their products in overseas markets. Foolish, really, as they will get hit with anti-dumping duties as high as 64% or more. Especially foolish, since the local Taiwan market has really opened up in the last few years.

I chanced upon a place in Fongshan that matches your description. It has 3 storefronts with each “store” dedicated to separate components. I have never seen so many parts with that kind of variety anywhere. Nice family run business too with no sign of anything by Giant, Merida etc…

The address is: something W something, radar antenna something W 4, something 26 something.

Ph#'s 07 - 7460489/7402161

Best to phone them as I’m sure I got the address wrong

Agree with the OP. The lack of parts (non-Giant, Merida) available to the public here is v disappointing, considering that so much is manufactured on the ROC. Whilst I don’t need to look at 40 brands of pedals, at least 3 or 4 would be nice. Can’t begin to describe how hard it was to find a good touring tyre this spring. Eventually had to go with some hybrid from Continental (and even that was a special order). And the tyre wall blew after 1500km.

Now where is Fongshan. I’ve no idea…

Fongshan = Kaohsiung?

Personally I wouldn’t know what to do in a huge bike shop with so many options but I could understand if it was backpacking equipment (especially fringy non-mainstream ultralight stuff). Everyone has there own obsessions. :laughing:

[quote=“Nuit”]Can’t begin to describe how hard it was to find a good touring tyre this spring. Eventually had to go with some hybrid from Continental (and even that was a special order). And the tyre wall blew after 1500km.
[/quote]
Nuit, what Conti tyre did you get? I bought the Conti TravelContact (26 x 1.75) and after approx 1500 km I find it’s almost as good as new. I think it’s a great tyre for touring. i also heard good things about the Conti Town & Country.

it was a Twister. Think it’s more of a cyclocross tyre, and not really for supporting loads. It did Ok on the road surface though, and was only 300km short of lasting the whole trip. I’d have gone with TravelContacts if available though.

In Taichung it would be T-Mosaic Bikes on Li Ming. They don’t do Giant or Merida, but they do have Campagnolo, Colnago, DeRosa, Cinelli and others…

[quote=“Mucha Man”]I’ve not seen that selection except at trade shows, but honestly, why would the average consumer want that? Sounds more overwhelming that anything else. When I was back home I was in a large bike shop trying to select a good head light. How the hell do you choose with so much selection? In the end I just asked the sales staff for a recommendation.

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I am wondering why you think a lack of a 400 tyre selection is a bad thing?[/quote]

so you DON’T want selection, because the prospect of sifting through so many choices is too daunting?

here’s an idea: Ignore 90% of a large selection and things will be as you like them.

They have them for scooters, why not for push bikes?

Some times I find that simply looking at something in the flesh or holding it can help me make a decision on what to buy. Shops of that ilk are so common in the UK, why not here?

I live in Taoyuan. Anyone seen one in the area? Khao Hsiung is a bit too far for me to travel…

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“Muzha Man”]I’ve not seen that selection except at trade shows, but honestly, why would the average consumer want that? Sounds more overwhelming that anything else. When I was back home I was in a large bike shop trying to select a good head light. How the hell do you choose with so much selection? In the end I just asked the sales staff for a recommendation.

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I am wondering why you think a lack of a 400 tyre selection is a bad thing?[/quote]

so you DON’T want selection, because the prospect of sifting through so many choices is too daunting?

here’s an idea: Ignore 90% of a large selection and things will be as you like them.[/quote]

Not daunting, tedious, and overwhelming. Lots of studies bear this out. Too much choice leads to a sense of dissatisfaction, alienation, ennui even. And fuck it, I do not need more ennui in my life. :laughing:

I don’t need 400 tyres to choose from, but I would like to be able to go to my local shop and actually see two different ones for the kind of riding I want to be doing. As it is, I can’t see any downhill tyres on the shelves in any of the six bike shops I know about near my house. I’ll settle for a compromise on my original 400, but zero isn’t enough to keep me happy!

I’ve got a good one for you about Roel. He hasn’t put it here but I think it’s amusing. He bought a new bike and wanted to order pedals and a different stem for it. He showed his local bike shop which ones he wanted and was told they aren’t available in Taiwan. He ordered them from the internet and when they arrived, both boxes said Made in Taiwan! Banter.

Sounds normal to me. Taiwan has many goods destined for overseas markets that are not available in the domestic market.

Our new cycling concept store, Warehouse 185 in Taichung is currently the largest in Taiwan in terms of square footage, my goal is for it to be the most comprehensive in terms of brands and products carried as well and we’re off to a pretty good start with Scott, Cannondale, Colnago, Pinarello, Jango, G2C, Slideaway, SRAM, Rockshox, Avid, Truvativ, Shimano, FSA, Vision, PRO, Fox, Selle Royal, Fizik, Tektro, Brooks, Campagnolo, Mavic, Crank Brothers, Easton, KMC, Park Tool, Camelbak, Topeak, Sigma, Xpedo, AmainT, Ergon, Allay, Coolstop, Dema, Stan’s, Jagwire, SR Suntour, Kenda, Maxxis, CST, Continental, Pearl Izumi, North Wave, Cratoni and Elite. We are a fully trained and accredited SRAM, Rockshox, Truvativ and Avid systems service, repair and maintenance center and also a trained and accredited Shimano OSP technical center. We also have a comprehensive professional fitting equipment and services from Juteau-Cantin. I’m in the process of signing up more IBD type boutique and niche market brands and products and we’ll have more stuff like that in the store in the coming months as well as maybe some big name brands like Orbea, Kuota, Argon18, Cinelli and perhaps Specialized.

I’ve been in the manufacturing side of the bike industry in Taiwan for 9 years and we’ve just opened our first retail store and we’re very well connected in terms of manufacturers, importers, agents and distributors. If there’s something you’re after, let me know and I’ll see what I can do to track it down. IMO local Giant/Merida shops are some of the biggest sources of here-say and misinformation in the domestic industry. Way more often than not they are run by franchisees merely jumping on the bike bandwagon with little or no real world bike industry experience, technical knowhow or real product knowledge, and are only interested in pushing what they have in stock, right or wrong, since as franchise shops they can only order/sell what they’re contractually allowed to and furthermore it’s in their best interests to sell what they have on the floor rather than track something down.

You own a bike shop coolio!
Is it strictly $SRP?
I want a Rock Shox Totem Coil or Solo Air in black 1.125" steerer. I can find them cheaper from eBay in the USA than here in a shop, Yahoo or Ruten.
The best price I’ve found is about $25000.
I’ve got a verbal order in with a mate for a new frame from his mate which is dirt cheap but maybe too good to be true. I’ve been given the timescale of “December”. If it comes off I want the Totems for sure.

As for what you say about Giant franchises you’re absolutely right. I worked as a bike mechanic for four years in the UK when I was a student so I know a bit about how to set bikes up. When we bought our bikes from a Giant franchise the guy almost came in his pants when I put both of the pedals on at the same time. His wife said “that foreigner knows more about bikes than you!” to him my wife told me. I thought it was banter until the next time I visited with loose rear wheel bearings. They cannot be tightened, he told me, impossible. He had the cone spanners so I did it myself. I prefer it that way anyway but it made me wonder what he thought the cone spanners were for ha ha!

I thought you were a motorbike man first and foremost.

I’ve been fortunate that the shop I frequented in Tainan and the one here in Taichung are both owned by guys who are active riders. That makes a world of difference to me. I have seen MANY Giant shops where you could tell that the people had very little personal connection to what they sold; could have just as well been toasters. However, what I have been impressed by is the number of new independent shops that sell the high end/low volume products that serious cyclists are interested in. That’s been really neat to see.

Hey plasmatron you can probably tell me if the new GT Fury carbon downhill bike is made in Taiwan. DO you know? I couldn’t find it on the internet but view don’t say it’s made in usa so I think it could be here. It’s the new fluorescent yellow one that looks fully sick.
I’m saving up to get out of here but if something happens to make me change my mind I’m going to get one from wherever I can!