Bicycle trip suggestions?

Hi,

I’m pondering a mini to medium bicycle trip over the next couple of weeks. At the moment, I’m thinking of one of two plans. Plan A: From Taipei down the west coast to Kenting, then up the east coast to Hualien, then bus back to Taipei. Plan B: The reverse, with maybe a bus from Tainan back or something like that. I’d like to know if changes in elevation make either of these plans better than the other.

I could use some help gathering info for this trip. Other than the phone number of a good mental health counselor, info on the following things would be really helpful:

1. Route tips out of Taipei headed for the west coast
  2. Route tips anywhere along the routes described
  3. Lodging ideas. I’m thinking of dragging a tent along on my bike. I need to know how a) acceptable or b) advisable it is here to simply pop a tent up in an inconspicuous place along the route. I’m thinking mostly like beaches, stands of trees, vacant lots, etc. The location and contact info for any hostels would be nice.
  4. Things/places to do/see without fail
  5. Things/places to avoid without fail
  6. Anything else you can think of (bike repair tips, sources of good “Learn the aboriginal Ami Language in 3 Days” CDs, etc).

Overall, the issue that has me most concerned is places to sleep without getting eaten by cobras and without paying through the nose for hotels due to the nearness of CNY.

Thanks for any help.

Seeker4

My most valuable tip I can offer is to buy one of those small, dentist size mirrors that attach to your glasses’ arm. Looking over your shoulder on a loaded bike can cause instability whereas just a flick of the eyeballs causes no harm. This way you can ride away from the edge of the road a little and take in the surroundings without having to make big weight shifts to look over your shoulder every so often.

Sleep on the beach whilst on the east coast. Lock up your bike, disable the brakes, put in 29th gear (to make it hard to quickly ride away on) and tie a piece of line from the frame to your leg. If anyone tries to lift your bike then you’ll be woken.

I guess it goes without saying but install tires with the highest psi rating (at least 80 preferably 100psi on a 26 inch wheel) and pump them up to the max. If you are unsupported and carrying a ton of stuff then release 10% to unstress the tire. A good pump is necessary to reach these high psi.
Lastly, we did an 8 week ride in Canada two years ago and we used a BOB trailer. It takes the weight off the bike and puts it down low between the rearwheel and the trailer wheel. It enabled us to carry alot more junk much more comfortably.

We are planning a trip from Taipei to Suao then train to Hualien (Suao to Hualien is too scary though I’ve seen people ride it) From Hualien we plan to ride to Kenting and from there either ride back or train back.
Maybe we can exchange tips depending on who rides first.

Sorry I cant help you with most of your requests.
Good luck and hope I dont sound too patronising.

I’d say avoid the West Coast altogether, and just go down the East Coast and bus/train back. I have little personal experience, but the West Coast is all built up/industrial. I doubt there’s much to see.

Brian

Last year my friends went from Kenting to Taroko during CNY and they said that it is best to drive early as soon as the light comes up to avoid crazy drivers. Also they took some small sleeping bags and stayed on the beaches they did stay in 2 hotels and they said that they paid $1000 per night. The ride has a lot of up and downs but nothing that is too crazy except going threw the tunnels, be careful!!

1. Route tips out of Taipei headed for the west coast

[color=red]First thing read this journal account from Taiwanho about a foreigner cycling around Taiwan:

taiwanho.com/modules.php?op= … le&sid=101

I know Bu Lai En has mentioned going from Bali (across from Danshui) all the way down to Sansia on bike routes by the river. This might be your best way to get out of the city. You could start right from bali driving down the coast but have you thought about taking the #3 provincial highway down? Much more interestign places to stop at along the way than along the coast though more hills of course. Traffic won’t be too bad this time of year.[/color]

1. Route tips anywhere along the routes described
    [color=red]
    I don’t know which is worse, the #11 or #9 from Taidung to Hualian. I suggest you ask MJB. he has a lot of experience in that area. Also this thread suggests that there are two really cool roads connecting the #11 and #9. sceptic yank describes a route from Fenglin (30km south of Hualian) to Niushan Beach that is one long downhill cruise to the coast in a taroko gorge like setting. Yeehaw!

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=25544[/color]

1. Lodging ideas. I’m thinking of dragging a tent along on my bike. I need to know how a) acceptable or b) advisable it is here to simply pop a tent up in an inconspicuous place along the route. I’m thinking mostly like beaches, stands of trees, vacant lots, etc. The location and contact info for any hostels would be nice.

[color=red]More and more campsites are being set up around the island. I’d make sure I asked around wherever I end up.

The tourism board has a brochure on places to camp around the island. It’s all in chinese and a couple years old but it should be helpful.

Check eslite for books on camping. They will be in English but you can get friends to translate the addresses. [/color]

1. Things/places to do/see without fail
    [color=red]

Past Kaohsiung there’s camping at Dapeng Bay and also on Little Liu Chiu Island. The island is small and gorgeous, surrounded by tropical blue waters and small shell beaches. You can ride around in a few hours. campsite is right on the beach.

The drive down to Kenting is not interesting but it’s flat. If you are going to cross over down here take the 199 not the #9. The 199 has beautiful varied terrain and little traffic, while the #9 is used by trucks.

It should be easy to find beaches or campsites on the east coast. [/color]

1. Things/places to avoid without fail

[color=red]Kaohsiung. [/color]

Overall, the issue that has me most concerned is places to sleep without getting eaten by cobras and without paying through the nose for hotels due to the nearness of CNY.

[color=red]
Hotels won’t be more expensive before Chinese New Year. No one travels a few weeks before. That also makes this a good time for a road trip. The roads will be as empty as they ever will be.
[/color]

Biking around Taiwan is silly and dangerous–the west coast is horrible, and other than the Hualien-Taidong stretch, the east coast is pretty bad too.

But Hualien to Taidong is very nice and not too difficult after the set of hills 20 km. south of Hualien. I’d put my bike on the train and pick it up when I get to Hualien. If you want a longer trip you can ride back to Hualien up the rift valley.You can cross back to the coast over the coastal mountain range in two places. These are nice rides though a bit tougher. For an incredible ride, go across the southen cross highway near Chihshang. You’ll need to dress warmly and cross a 2800 meter pass though.

Bit of gravedigging here…

How long would you estimate for a bicycle trip from Hualien to Taidong?

It can be done easily in two days by people with modest levels of fitness. At this time of year, you might want to make it three so that you can avoid biking during the heat of the day. The best riding hours are from about 4:30am to 9am and then again from about 4:00pm to 6. It’s better to ride down from Hualien–you have the wind behind you most of the time. Here are more details and a few photos.

Thanks, feiren. I’m a little timid to try it because would be going it alone (unless I can scare up someone willing to go along, that is) but would like to give it a go.

[quote=“ironlady”]Bit of gravedigging here…

How long would you estimate for a bicycle trip from Hualian to Taidong?[/quote]

I’ve done it in two days about three times, but going in the opposite direction–Taitung ~ Hualian on the #11 (Hua-tung). I preferred going north because my bike is on the side of the road closest to the ocean which is great for views and in case I want to stop and take a pic. or run down to the sea.

There are many ways to go, obviously. I have walked the #9 and it is quite scenic, but scary with traffic. The #11 will not get too busy–even on long weekends. It is a longer route with gently rolling hills–until you near Hualian County where there are a couple of long, steep climbs.

It is great to go around the coast all the way to Hualian City–the views are fantastic–but my favorite route now is the #195 (193?) which runs from the Hualian Da Chao and parallels the #9. I have ridden it once and it was fantastic. After coming up the coast from Taitung I went left on the # ? (It connects the # 9 Nd #11) at Feng Bing and it is a series of steep climbs. But once you get to the #195 (193?) it is mainly downhill through incredible picturesque farming areas to Hualian Da Chao.

I wanted to ride that route a couple of weeks ago, but my trip got interrupted by the last typhoon.
I still got to ride my favorite section, though–Kenting ~ Shu Hai.

Let me know when you’re going to ride it. I may join you if I have time.

Hi Wookiee,
I plan to be in Taiwan Sept 1 - 20. I’m really putting priority on doing some traveling around the island because I’m ashamed to think of how many years I lived there and how few places I actually went (not for work).

True, but these times are also the most dangerous in terms of horizon sun for oncoming and overtaking vehicles

[quote=“ironlady”]Hi Wookiee,
I plan to be in Taiwan Sept 1 - 20. I’m really putting priority on doing some traveling around the island because I’m ashamed to think of how many years I lived there and how few places I actually went (not for work).[/quote]

A bicycle trip may not be the most efficient way to see a lot of different places in 20 days, but if you are up for it, I would be game to do a two-day ride somewhere on the east coast, or up in the mountains. Perhaps some of the other riders would be interested in joining?

i am planning a cross island when its cooler - taichung through taroko to hualien

[quote=“Wookiee”]
A bicycle trip may not be the most efficient way to see a lot of different places in 20 days, but if you are up for it, I would be game to do a two-day ride somewhere on the east coast, or up in the mountains. Perhaps some of the other riders would be interested in joining?[/quote]

I’m not trying to see a lot of places on the bike trip, just to take one quality bike trip and then if I decide to go anywhere else, use bus or train transport. I’m actually looking forward to just being able to hang out in Taipei for a week or two; I never seemed to have that luxury when I was living in Taiwan. There was always a job or something for school or whatever going on, or I had to run back to the US on my vacation time because of the family.

I’ve always wanted to bike the east coast or maybe a cross-island, so if anyone is up for doing something like that, let me know. I can’t contribute much in the line of biking knowledge but I do speak Chinese fairly well, and Taiwanese enough to get us something to eat, or get us all into serious trouble (you can never tell ahead of time). :slight_smile:

I’m not in nearly good enough shape to do a cross-island trip. I suggest a ride on the Hua-Tung Gong Lu–Taitung to Hualian or vice versa. Or we could do a cirlcle from Hualian–Rd. # 195 ~ # 11"jia" to Feng Bing ~ #11 back to Hualian.
Choose a weekend and be prepared to change it in case of foul weather.

Few details:

Will you have a bike here or are you going to get a new one? If you get a new bike the saddle will be new and that isn’t a good thing. If you’re going to get a new bike here, break in a saddle on your bike back home and bring it along. New saddles will chaffe your skin and you won’t be able to enjoy your ride.

Do you ride regularly? If not start putting in some daily rides.

Have you ridden 3, 4, + hour rides before? It is good to get some of those in before the trip.

How will you carry your gear? A backpack is too uncomfortable. I have a rear rack for my panniers and a handlebar bag. I’ve got tools and I usually take along a spare inner tube and a few extra spokes, so no need to worry about repairs.

If you’re interested, and if any others are, we can start planning on a date.
YOOOOH! I love the smell of Bing-Lang flowers in the morning!

Totally unprepared. No bike here, so would be getting one there. No gear. Maybe this isn’t such a good idea!!

Everything is available here, gear-wise. However, if you aren’t riding regularly, a 160+ km 2-day ride won’t be that easy–even with frequent stops.

Ironlady, you are certainly welcome to join the hiking club for an outing when you are in town. I take it you have never been out swimming in a natural river pool here in Taiwan. It’s a treat and will give you an entirely new perspective on why some of us love it here.

Actually I have…I went with some friends to celebrate my 40th birthday, the day before I left Taiwan for good. It was great. I’d surely go again given the opportunity.