Big bike on the freeways of Taiwan. When and how big?

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]“try being a little more polite and perhaps more patient… you might get better results…”-Plasmatron

Except when talking with Mordeth, of course. :wink:[/quote]

Below me.

ok, accepted. i’m sorry if i came off wrong.
but isn’t a discussion about pro’s and con’s? i only see one side here that basically says ‘everything is crap, they should let us do the laws…’ you get the gist.

there, enough said. lets come back to the topic: is there no one who can offer some hard facts about what and when to expect? i’d be happy already if they’d at least open bridges and overpasses in major cities like taipei, as mentioned earlier by plasma.

enjoy the evening

Stefan,

I don’t think the foreigners will be the only ones complaining…

I can’t see a local owner of a 750cc streetbike any happier than we are about this proposed bit of ridiculousness. Expect protests, and probably modification of a rule that makes no sense whatsoever.

On another thread, I made comments about having to remove the bumpers off my 4x4 by July or face serious fines. I then read that we have a “six month” extension to get rid of them, by which time the law might well change again. So, tomorrow my bumper is getting powder-coated and re-attached to my truck, where it belongs. :sunglasses:

I expect the same will happen with the new proposed 751cc+ expressway law. It will sit and ferment for awhile, then the biking populace will protest to a point where the law will be “taken under review” or “an extension made” Happens all the time.

I’ve got thousands of km’s of mountain twisties to play on…If I want to go on the freeway, I’ll drive my car. To be honest, the day I bought my 650 the idea of utilizing the expressways was the farthest thing from my mind.

AMEN BRUTHA! AMEN! Besides… on those long, boring freeways I’d rather have a nice comfy seat, good wind and weather protection, a nice stereo system and all the other little perks cars have… and don’t tell me to get a goldwing…

AMEN BRUTHA! AMEN! Besides… on those long, boring freeways I’d rather have a nice comfy seat, good wind and weather protection, a nice stereo system and all the other little perks cars have… and don’t tell me to get a goldwing…[/quote]

All well and good but it would still be some kind of fun to get these rule makers out on a nice flat stretch of freeway and watch a race between a 1300cc car and a Honda Hornet 250 to 60mph.

The 250 rider would have enough spare time to pull up and light a smoke while the car was running up to speed.

Between the 250 and a little blue truck with a load the rider would have enough time to stop and do some repairs.

[quote]
1300 cc average car

0-60 mph 11.7 sec[/quote]

Certainly true, but a Freeway is always good to get somewhere fast, and then enjoy nice curvy roads at different locations. When I first got a motorcycle, I never wanted to go on the Freeway either. But the freeway took me to great mountainous areas with wonderfull roads, and I was able to make it back in time for dinner.

There are certainly reasons for motorcyclist wanting to be able to use the freeway, apart from opening their machines up.

Certainly true, but a Freeway is always good to get somewhere fast, and then enjoy nice curvy roads at different locations. When I first got a motorcycle, I never wanted to go on the Freeway either. But the freeway took me to great mountainous areas with wonderfull roads, and I was able to make it back in time for dinner.

There are certainly reasons for motorcyclist wanting to be able to use the freeway, apart from opening their machines up.[/quote]
I agree. If this place was normal wrt big bikes, I could live in Taipei and work at CKS and it would take me 25-30 mins each way no matter what the traffic was like, instead of 1-1.5 hrs.
Besides that, I’d be doing the environment and congestion situation a favor.

I think opening the expressweays to big bikes is the result of urging by lazy cops. No need for them to drive all the way out to some god-forsaken mountain road now. Just pop down to the expressway on a Saturday afternoon, set up the camera, and bingo! Your entire month’s quota of traffic tickets issued in just a couple of hours.

So, any development on this issue?
Just saw in the paper that there was just another protest staged to open highways for big bikes. Any idea how big bike is defined now?

Just being curious

[quote=“Stefan”]So, any development on this issue?
Just saw in the paper that there was just another protest staged to open highways for big bikes. Any idea how big bike is defined now?

Just being curious[/quote]
I heard mention of this on ICRT news this morning. They were defining big bikes as being >250cc

Here some more information on this topic (opening may take a little while)-> [color=red]click![/color]

I think most important is this remark:

:fume: :fume: :fume:

They are still stalling for time and probably don’t have someone smart enough to make sense of all of this…Then again, if any of those politicians ever opened their eyes to the world, they would see that every onther nation on earth allows motorycles to use all public roads…but I guess these backwater cronies never set foot off the island and therefore have no idea what the real world is like! :fume:

I went riding up to Neiwan yesterday and the car queues were severe, complete standstill - miles away from real civilization.

In a country this size, they shoudl be looking at taxing car ownship more severely and opening up bikes. In places like Singapore, it works wonders for teh congestion and the pollution, not to mention the govt makes a shitload in tax.

i think a shitload is an understatement… the cost of buying a car… even an old 2nd hand beater… forces many people to never be able to buy a car…

oi, still a hornets nest… isn’t it?

read this from the article mentioned before:
“Liu said the Institute of Transportation is researching large motorcycles and their effect on the transportation system. The institute is supposed to complete the research in November, and report will be released in December.”

Now thats a load of crap to me. Pencil pushers I’d say. :loco:

i think a shitload is an understatement… the cost of buying a car… even an old 2nd hand beater… forces many people to never be able to buy a car…[/quote]
That’s the idea. People consider public transport more.

When in Singapore, I worked out it was cheaper to use a taxi all the time, rather than own and drive a car.

TT today:

[quote] Meanwhile, Liu Shih-ming (劉士銘), the chief of the vehicle supervision section at the MOTC, said the ministry was not considering opening more highways to large motorcycles at this time.

Liu said the Institute of Transportation is researching large motorcycles and their effect on the transportation system. The institute is supposed to complete the research in November, and report will be released in December.[/quote]

They 'd better research the effect of small blue trucks and slow cars on the freeway traffic :laughing: oh … and big orange trucks too

As far as I can figure, that’s almost true for me here, too – that is, it’s cheapest to use my scooter most of the time, the bus or MRT some of the time (the MRT doesn’t reach me; and the bus doesn’t really go from my one office to the other fast enough), and the taxi the rest of the time.

… don’t forget the effects of the public transport system here… only the trains seem positive… busses and taxis… :astonished: :loco: :help:

[quote=“Truant”][quote=“x08”][quote=“Truant”]
That’s the idea. People consider public transport more.

When in Singapore, I worked out it was cheaper to use a taxi all the time, rather than own and drive a car.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Not everyone lives in Taipei. Besides, when you have two small children, buses are a major hassle )not to mention Taichung buses are completely unreliable) and motor scooters are too dangerous.